Thomas Clow

Honey Producers Co-op Meetings Update

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Maggie James said:

Not the monetary (or however it is spelt) - whoops a bit of a monetary slip there,  pine. 

No.... the Monterey is safe  after last nights wind ..... I'm just wondering how to access 40k of council funds to make it safer. The saw man was doing the Macro. Cut a hole through the middle, cafe, carpark ....

Edited by jamesc

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

ignoring the insults.

two points.

First, my comment on the honey judge was that there was an element of naivety - i'm not sure why you suggest i accuse her of anything beyond that?

" the judge in question may have been naive, but it's effectively a New Zealand endorsement of aussie honey being sold as "manuka". "

secondly, i think it's reprehensible that people in NZ might be selling honey in bulk to australian packers while knowing that it is going to be packed and sold as aussie manuka. You and i may well disagree on that one - i'm curious if you're one of the people doing it. Given that you don't answer the question on whether you were involved with people doing so, and instead resort to insult, it's easy enough to leap to conclusions that may or may not be correct (e.g., you are doing so, but are not proud of it).

The question again, for reference:

@Dennis Crowley do you have any financial or political involvement in nz honey being sold to australian packers?

@tommy dave It is time to back off.  You accuse @Dennis Crowley of personal attacks and yet you keep asking him personal questions and then get upset for him not answering.

I congratulate @Dennis Crowley for keeping quiet.

Leave off the personal stuff @tommy dave or you will be getting a warning.

Enough is enough.  Back to the OP of move on

Trev.

• Agree 1

secondly, i think it's reprehensible that people in NZ might be selling honey in bulk to australian packers while knowing that it is going to be packed and sold as aussie manuka

Thing is Tommy, you get a paycheck each fortnight from outside the industry

That luxury could color ones opinion

• Agree 3

ignoring the insults.

two points.

First, my comment on the honey judge was that there was an element of naivety - i'm not sure why you suggest i accuse her of anything beyond that?

" the judge in question may have been naive, but it's effectively a New Zealand endorsement of aussie honey being sold as "manuka". "

secondly, i think it's reprehensible that people in NZ might be selling honey in bulk to australian packers while knowing that it is going to be packed and sold as aussie manuka. You and i may well disagree on that one - i'm curious if you're one of the people doing it. Given that you don't answer the question on whether you were involved with people doing so, and instead resort to insult, it's easy enough to leap to conclusions that may or may not be correct (e.g., you are doing so, but are not proud of it).

The question again, for reference:

@Dennis Crowley do you have any financial or political involvement in nz honey being sold to australian packers?

Desperate times call for desperate measures Brother.    My MGO 45 west coast brew is worth $ 3.75 here. Spend  a couple of grand to ship it over the ditch to a mate's mate and i've made ten times that. It 'aint right but it pays the bills  and keeps the machine running ..... right ? That's the nature of business with no ethics.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@tommy dave It is time to back off.  You accuse @Dennis Crowley of personal attacks and yet you keep asking him personal questions and then get upset for him not answering.

I congratulate @Dennis Crowley for keeping quiet.

Leave off the personal stuff @tommy dave or you will be getting a warning.

Enough is enough.  Back to the OP of move on

Trev.

fair enough, as i said, it's entirely up to you guys. I will try not to take offence at being called a conspiracy theorist, nor will i level that insult at anyone else - i wish @Dennis Crowley had simply said it was none of my business. As @Maggie James correctly pointed out, it isn't. Simply curious.

cheers.

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures Brother.    My MGO 45 west coast brew is worth $ 3.75 here. Spend  a couple of grand to ship it over the ditch to a mate's mate and i've made ten times that. It 'aint right but it pays the bills  and keeps the machine running ..... right ? That's the nature of business with no ethics.

although i don't like it, i respect that people do things within the law (as this obviously is) to keep their livelihoods/businesses afloat, i'd do the same - beyond that, i'd expect people working hard and figuring out how to keep things going to be justifiably proud of doing what they need to in keeping things up and running.

• Like 1

Ah there you are Tommy .... not excommunicated yet .... sweet ..... it's all about the dialogue. I don't get out much , so it's good to keep abreast with what's happening out in the real world with a man who has his finger on the pulse , so to speak.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Really? Ten times $3.75 is probably more than mgo 250 that meats mono definition and has low c4 is roughly worth?

Ps what's your mates mates phone number?😉

Edited by Jamo
Add info
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Philbee said:

Nah mate

The disaster starts when Hives leave the farms.

Nothing to do with airy fairy foot shooting nonsence or industry self determination

Hives leaving pasture = loss of Clover and Nitrogen fixing, end of story

Good point - However

6 years ago the country had 230,000 hives and now we have 930,000 - Was agriculture falling over 6 years ago?

10 hours ago, jamesc said:

Wow - If you got $37.50 for MGO45 then you ripped your mates mate off. Is you MGO45 Multi Manuka? 

12 hours ago, Nuc_man said:

Talked to a farmer today wanting to no how my beekeeping empire was going, the surprise on his face when I told him if things don't change fast I'll be requiring his jumbo fire pit ,and a job driving his tractor. The farmers who need us have no idea how close to the wire we run.

Of course 

21 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Good point - However

6 years ago the country had 230,000 hives and now we have 930,000 - Was agriculture falling over 6 years ago?

There isn't much clover up in my area, we get none. All the farmers use grass that needs replacing every 4 years and they fert anually

12 hours ago, tommy dave said:

ignoring the insults.

secondly, i think it's reprehensible that people in NZ might be selling honey in bulk to australian packers while knowing that it is going to be packed and sold as aussie manuka.

Though I believe that everyone has the right to sell what they want to who ever they want, I do agree with this statement above. Anyone from NZ involved in any way in supporting or promoting Australian (faux Manuka) is diluting the NZ Manuka argument and undermining the long term future of the industry. If you want to do it and have a foot in both camps then fine, but come clean declare your position to APINZ and members and withdraw from UMF.  

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

The answer I expected
Your numbers are a bit off as there were around 450000 hive six years ago

My concern is that we are going to free fall to a point below what is viable and viability is about distribution of hives not just total hives numbers.

Edited by Philbee
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

but come clean declare your position to APINZ

Why would anyone need to declare to ApiNZ where they have sold there honey to.

Since when have ApiNZ been a manager or monitor of where honey is sold.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Agree 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

viability is about spread of hives not just total hives numbers.

Top answer :) 

8 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

My point is - If you are not going support NZ honey industry long term and do not care for the protection of the industry, then do not try and be part of the organisations that are trying to defend and promote it.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam Boot said:

My point is - If you are not going support NZ honey industry long term and do not care for the protection of the industry, then do not try and be part of the organisations that are trying to defend and promote it.

OK.  Fair enough.  But surely, that is what is being said on this forum.  However, there are a lot of beekeepers who cannot sell their honey but they still need to eat every day.

I am retired so this does not affect me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, there are a lot of beekeepers who cannot sell their honey but they still need to eat every day.

And that is the crux of the matter 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

There isn't much clover up in my area, we get none. All the farmers use grass that needs replacing every 4 years and they fert anually

Was there ever lots of clover that you can remember .

Apinz has any number of members who have been quite happy to screw over their fellow beekeepers. They do have a code of conduct , if they were to enforce it they would only have a handful of members left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, john berry said:

Apinz has any number of members who have been quite happy to screw over their fellow beekeepers. They do have a code of conduct , if they were to enforce it they would only have a handful of members left.

Then the industry is as weak as it chooses to be. There is no point in moaning when times get tough, if code of conducts are not applied or enforced. For fear of repeating myself - You reap what you sow. 

3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

However, there are a lot of beekeepers who cannot sell their honey but they still need to eat every day.

I just had honey on toast for lunch. I'm thinking that i might have to get accustomed to it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

When you have finished luncheon, perhaps for afternoon smoko you could whip up a batch of honey muffins, with beeswax substituted for butter

5 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I would be very concerned if we all had to report what and where we solid honey to, to any industry body.  This sounds like something out of an Orson Welles or Margaret Atwood novel. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 30/05/2019 at 2:46 PM, Philbee said:

As its been said before, You are better off with half a Water Melon than a whole Apple

I think you need to send your Speights away for testing

3 hours ago, Jamo said:

I just had honey on toast for lunch. I'm thinking that i might have to get accustomed to it.

Peanut butter and honey sandwiches is quite nice

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, jamesc said:

Good on yer ..... I was being polite when I said Wings ..... what I wanted to say was Balls.

So you are buying 2-3 miilion bucks worth of honey a month . Mate, that is one serious amount of honey you are moving ..... after three crap years ..... where the heck are you finding it .....!! Obviously not in Canterbury, or Marlborough, or the West coast, or the East Cape ...... Maybe Taranaki ?? 

That is a good question ... at that purchase rate the backlog of the the various honeys in NZ will be used up quite soon?    If that is indeed the case, then why should anyone need a Cooperative to assist with marketing and moving NZ honey - or am I just being unnecessarily churlish?

40 minutes ago, Bbee said:

That is a good question ... at that purchase rate the backlog of the the various honeys in NZ will be used up quite soon?    If that is indeed the case, then why should anyone need a Cooperative to assist with marketing and moving NZ honey - or am I just being unnecessarily churlish?

There is no evidence honey is being moved at that rate ? 

The maths is wrong