Craig75

NZBF Hive making Queen cells

Hi guys. Took out mite strips from hive 10 days ago. Had eggs, capped & uncapped brood. Today no eggs, a bit of capped brood and about 8 capped queen cells located between top and mid frame. Thinking I have lost queen. Should I remove all queen cells and amalgamate with another hive? Bee numbers look good to my inexperienced eye. Thanks

That's a call that could go either way. It is possible they could raise a queen, but it's not ideal heading into winter.

Hives that are compromised going into winter have it tough and don't thrive.

I'd follow your own advice and almagamate and split when it's strong again somewhere around November 

Posted (edited)

You'll get a lot of different view points on this....

If there are drones around - I'm not seeing many now - and the weather plays ball you may get a mated Queen still.  It is 50/50.

Given the hive is strong and there are cells and they are not far from hatching you could just leave it and give the Queen a couple of weeks to get mated.  If she's not mated 

14 days after emergence and the weather has been reasonable, squash her and amalgamate.  

At least this way you get a chance at getting a new Queen now.

Edited by CraBee
  • Agree 1

For a single anecdata point - I had a late one last year that mated and had a nice pattern. She was superceeded immediately in spring, so there was something the bees didn’t like.

1 hour ago, cBank said:

For a single anecdata point - I had a late one last year that mated and had a nice pattern. She was superceeded immediately in spring, so there was something the bees didn’t like.

The hive allows my late mated  queens to tick over during winter but replaces them pretty quickly in spring .

I have a queen with 4 legs . 

The hive thought about replacing her recently but she is laying very well so she is still there .

Or there is another queen or virgin in there I did not see.

There were open queen cells but unless you rub them all out the hive can get full open queen cells and its hard to keep track .

Had a hive go queen less first week of May 2x queen cells being drawn out so left it as we still have drones flying, took the wasp screen off to give her a chance to get back, checked yesterday to find a queen in the hive with eggs in cells.

Can anyone tell me is she likely to fly again as I need to get the wasp screen back on.

I can't think of any reason why you'd want her to fly again even if she thought it was a good idea which she won't if she's laying....

• Agree 1

If she is laying then there is no way she will go on another mating flight.

15 hours ago, mickey said:

Had a hive go queen less first week of May 2x queen cells being drawn out so left it as we still have drones flying, took the wasp screen off to give her a chance to get back, checked yesterday to find a queen in the hive with eggs in cells.

Can anyone tell me is she likely to fly again as I need to get the wasp screen back on.

You need to check the brood is capped with nice flat worker brood, so you don’t have a drone layer. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

You need to check the brood is capped with nice flat worker brood, so you don’t have a drone layer. 

OK thanks

On 3/06/2019 at 5:44 PM, john berry said:

If she is laying then there is no way she will go on another mating flight.

Thanks

Hi Matt, how did you end up with it?

1 hour ago, Manfred said:

Hi Matt, how did you end up with it?

To whom are you asking what ?

ups! you are right should have been for Craig75

• Like 1

On 4/06/2019 at 8:57 AM, CHCHPaul said:

Thanks its all looking good 

• Like 1