yesbut

Does anyone own up to this little drama ?

Sounds like bee hives in the wrong place (too close to a public area)

I'd put money on these bad bees being waspies

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Harlan Cox said:

Quite possibly

9 minutes ago, Harlan Cox said:

Because people keep wasps on hives?

Five people have received medical treatment after being swarmed by bees, after the insects' hive was apparently disturbed

Is the crime the terrible reporting? 

• Agree 5

I daily see hives in stupid places but this time of year problems with bees are almost universally due to wasps. The average phone call goes.. I have these bees, could you please do something about them.? Beekeeper. A sure they are bees? Yes. Beekeeper where are they?Concerned citizen. In a hole in the ground.Beekeeper. They are WASPs..

This is often followed by a conversation about how little beekeepers actually know and how the concerned citizen can tell a bee from a wasp.

On turning up to deal with the problem and showing concern citizen that look they actually are WASPs I have even been asked if I could save them and of course take them away.

• Haha 6

On 23/04/2019 at 7:27 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Quite possibly

I get asked annually to get rid of bees that are wasps, most people don't know the difference

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I get asked annually to get rid of bees that are wasps, most people don't know the difference

Yes.  I get around 20 plus calls per years for bees that are wasps.  I don't respond unless they send me a photo now of the offending critters.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I have found a wasp nest on public land that's too big for me to deal with. It's in a riverbank about  4 metres from the water and the entrance is the size of a rabbit hole.

Because of the entrance being horizontal I can't do the petrol in a Coke bottle thing and because of size of the nest and the coming and going wasps I am not game to try blowing powder down the entrance.

Who's responsible for destroying the nest District council or regional council?

My only other idea is to sit and spray black flag on the flight path till numbers are low enough to get close enough to jam a hose down the hole to get the petrol where it needs to be to kill the nest.

Put some carbryl,if you can find it, at the entrance

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bighands said:

Put some carbryl,if you can find it, at the entrance

I dont have any carbryl, I usually use "kiwicare no wasps powder" which is pymethren and Daitomos Earth.

However as Guard wasps buzz me when I am about 2 metres away. I am not keen to get that close I have dealt to plenty of wasp nests this year and I can tell this one is massive and once disturbed they will be very dangerous because of the sheer numbers-  the flight line look's like a beehive on a sunny day.

Vespex would do it as they are still bringing back insects to the nest but I don't have the training.

Is cat food and ant poison a safe option?

46 minutes ago, jasper said:

I have found a wasp nest on public land that's too big for me to deal with. It's in a riverbank about  4 metres from the water and the entrance is the size of a rabbit hole.

Because of the entrance being horizontal I can't do the petrol in a Coke bottle thing and because of size of the nest and the coming and going wasps I am not game to try blowing powder down the entrance.

My only other idea is to sit and spray black flag on the flight path till numbers are low enough to get close enough to jam a hose down the hole to get the petrol where it needs to be to kill the nest.

Put some petrol in a pressure pump (garden sprayer) and spray petrol in from a distance.  When you have some sort of safe control then do the dust thingy.  Also dig out the nest about 3 or 4 days later to make sure you get them all.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

If you can get above it bar a hole down into it, tip petrol down that. Do it at night. If you need light prop a torch a couple of metres away from where you're making the hole any alarmed wasps will go for the light. I have had to use that approach quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, jasper said:

Even though it's on public land, if it's within your town belt the council should be responsible, if it's out in the country the regional council - that's what happens in my area. Get in touch with your local council - make sure you're not fobbed of, you are a ratepayer, it should be their responsibility to deal with it, not yours.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, BeeGirl said:

Even though it's on public land, if it's within your town belt the council should be responsible, if it's out in the country the regional council - that's what happens in my area. Get in touch with your local council - make sure you're not fobbed of, you are a ratepayer, it should be their responsibility to deal with it, not yours.

I agree, but also disagree. If willing & able citizens all did a bit without waiting for "them" ........

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Posted (edited)

Thank you Trevor for the pressure sprayer idea. Just back from jamming the nozzle and wand down the entrance and getting  as far back as the hose allowed and pumping the nest full of 91 unleaded.

Will go back tomorrow morning and see how it worked. 

Spotted another sizable underground nest this afternoon and that got the same treatment.

Edited by jasper
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I use the insect dust approach and the 2m issue discussed above has not been a problem because I have a broom handle with a washing machine powder scoop taped to the end that I only use for wasps. I can tip in 2 tbsp of the insect dust and easily reach 2m and so far (touch wood) have not ever been nailed by wasps. I prefer this to petrol. But ok whatever works. The Kiwicare no more wasps is often sold in 60g for $20 and is fine for minor use. I purchased 2kg of fly busters permex insect dust for $40. It is pretty inexpensive and highly effective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

I purchased 2kg of fly busters permex insect dust for $40. It is pretty inexpensive and highly effective.

where from?

the company is called flybusters, they sell a number of pest control products here is a link to the one I am talking about. I have not bought any recently but shipping used to be free if you purchased over a certain limit so it would pay for a couple or three people to purchase together if they are in the same area.

https://www.flybusters.co.nz/shop/DIY-Pest-Control-Services/DIY_Cockroach/Permex+Insect+Dust+2kg.html

• Good Info 2