MissOlivia

Hive Dr Bottom Board - bees getting stuck

48 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Join your local Bee club.  They will sell bees at the right time.

OK I will search to find one. Thanks

• Like 3

Olivia, we would love you to join the Auckland Bee CLub.. If you can get yourself to the Auckland Easter Show they have a stall there with very knowledgable club members who can help you heaps, and invite you to our next club meeting, where No Question is a silly question... Or have a look on line when the next club meeting is (second Saturday of each month) 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, MissOlivia said:

I'm a bit down. I spent over $400 on gear and queen and things they'll need. I could have got myself a full setup by the looks on trademe. I'll try get a hive maybe in spring or summer maybe

You’re down, but not by $400. It’ll all be useable come spring - except for the queen. 

If you’re in Auckland and are still keen come spring, sing out and their is a fair chance I can help you out. Disclaimer: mine are complete mongrels with zero pedigree but are calm and make a lot of honey. They are also 3/4 frames.

Edit: and a big upvote for the bee club suggestion. The hardest part for me has been knowing what’s normal. You’ll see that their and see their problems and how they are solved.

Edited by cBank
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Debi Jacka said:

Olivia, we would love you to join the Auckland Bee CLub.. If you can get yourself to the Auckland Easter Show they have a stall there with very knowledgable club members who can help you heaps, and invite you to our next club meeting, where No Question is a silly question... Or have a look on line when the next club meeting is (second Saturday of each month) 

Thank you. It's good to know there are people that can help. 

3 hours ago, cBank said:

You’re down, but not by $400. It’ll all be useable come spring - except for the queen. 

If you’re in Auckland and are still keen come spring, sing out and their is a fair chance I can help you out. Disclaimer: mine are complete mongrels with zero pedigree but are calm and make a lot of honey. They are also 3/4 frames.

Edit: and a big upvote for the bee club suggestion. The hardest part for me has been knowing what’s normal. You’ll see that their and see their problems and how they are solved.

Thanks for the offer. I thought I would just go check out a hive today. And I had a look at a few that were sale. I thought they were quite cheap. I looked anyway. They had the worst veroa ever and DLW all through the hIves and brood couldn't emerge from the cells. Also, looked a little but like AFB in one hive. I got out of there so fast. :/ . Do you know if beautbees in Ardmore are good? They look good. 

3 hours ago, MissOlivia said:

Thank you. It's good to know there are people that can help. 

Thanks for the offer. I thought I would just go check out a hive today. And I had a look at a few that were sale. I thought they were quite cheap. I looked anyway. They had the worst veroa ever and DLW all through the hIves and brood couldn't emerge from the cells. Also, looked a little but like AFB in one hive. I got out of there so fast. :/ . Do you know if beautbees in Ardmore are good? They look good. 

I don’t get how one minute you know absolutely nothing about bees and the next you know what the worst varroa ever looks like, you know what DWV looks like, you know that brood couldn’t emerge from the cells and you also know what AFB is and what it looks like?

• Agree 5

Did I mention the bee hive was really cheap? I had to study before I got there in case it was too good to be true. If you donr believe that I could tell if it was or not. Pretty sure a whole lot of bees with no wings is not normal! And about 10 fully developed bees just sitting in their cells is not normal. I assume it's Varroa from what a forum said. What else could it be then? Why would you think they are OK? 

If I was wrong about it, then my bad. But I'm persobally so happy I didn't bring it home. 

I'm so glad ekrotek gave me a veroa booklet. It's called a deadly honey bee parasite the Varroa mite. I was studying on my way there. And looked at AFB pics on the website before I left home. 

2 minutes ago, MissOlivia said:

Did I mention the bee hive was really cheap? I had to study before I got there in case it was too good to be true. If you donr believe that I could tell if it was or not. Pretty sure a whole lot of bees with no wings is not normal! And about 10 fully developed bees just sitting in their cells is not normal. I assume it's Varroa from what a forum said. What else could it be then? Why would you think they are OK? 

If I was wrong about it, then my bad. But I'm persobally so happy I didn't bring it home. 

I'm so glad ekrotek gave me a veroa booklet. It's called a deadly honey bee parasite the Varroa mite. I was studying on my way there. And looked at AFB pics on the website before I left home. 

Also of course I had to look at AFB symptom's.  Apparently you are a blog ed by law to know if you are getting bees to check them out. Is this not true? I wasn't 100% sure if it did. But it looked just like the pictures to me. That's all I can go off. 

@MissOlivia, please do not buy bees from anyone until you have spent several months reading and going to whichever club you choose, otherwise it will end in a dead-out come spring. Beekeeping is not something to suddenly take up without having a real depth of knowledge - many on this forum have decades of full-time experience behind them and many are very helpful, but it is utterly frustrating retrospectively explaining why a hive died.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I recommend the below @MissOlivia, it’s excellent (bar the section on combining hives, which leaves out the excluder. Painful times). It’s available cheaper as a PDF too, but splash out on the hardback and read it this winter. It’s excellent.

Also have a look at the downloads on this site, in particular the one from @tudor.

https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/book-practical-beekeeping-in-nz

• Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MissOlivia said:

Can you please link the trademe listing ?

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1

@MissOlivia 

please read everything above... and apologies for the long, but necessary post, below. 

You are making the same mistakes I did. I spent all summer umming and arring then finally taking the plunge too late. First dead hive.  Finding an in the flesh mentor is hard. And you ignore the lessons/advice on this site at your peril

And you’re not alone. I was in ecrotek the other day buying syrup for winter feeding, and they were selling starter packs to newbeeks! 

If those hives had AFB/Varroa that a newbie could spot off a pamphlet cram session, having not understood the difference between visiting and resident populations, then they are already dead and should be burned. 

Do not buy a hive this season. It will die. 

Do join a club, they have hives to teach you in. And usually some nice member will/can sell you a cheap healthy nuc when they’re readily available.

Do not buy hives off TradeMe. If you do, take a befriended experienced beek with you. 

Do the AFB course. In time you may even do a revision course and get your deca.

Do get registered. A good beek won’t even sell a hive to an unregistered keeper. 

Do get more than one hive, ie two. Comparison between hives has been my biggest learning booster. 

Think about out where your second apiary will be, sometimes it’s necessary to move a hive. 

Do read the book book recommended above. 

@Trevor Gillbanks has the most relevant videos for New Zealand. And The Norfolk Honey Company, https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNorfolkHoneyCo , is an excellent series too. That should be ample to get you started. 

Then look at The Apiarist (blog) and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3mjpM6Av4bxbxps_Gh5YPw if your run out of stuff. 

If if you don’t make the same mistakes I did you will enjoy next season a lot more and waste less money. 

please don’t see not starting this year as a failure or missed opportunity. You are saving yourself a lot of hassle and will be ready for next season. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

@Josh, best info ever👍

I 100% agree

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Cool how this thread is developing.  Whoever is new at beekeeping needs to somehow keep correct info and let go of wrong info.  My son especially watched heaps of YouTube videos over 2 years and we joined a beekeeping club 6 months before buying nucs.  I would say, things just tend not to go how you planned, but it is still vital to plan and research.  I find much better help here in this forum than the club. But now i feel a need of some mentoring as we go into winter.  I'm sure you will get the right idea very soon now that you're connected here MissOlivia.  

One of the most perplexing aspects i discovered was, who or where to buy a nuc from! I tried a couple of people at the club but they just seemed not that interested. I hope you go well from now on

Edited by Paul Beer
  • Like 1

well I often read the forum to try and keep up with whats happening and what i should be doing next.Im still learning more often the hard way after 4 years.So I thought I would sell some hives to cover some of my costs and my price got lower and lower and the months went by and still no takers so the other day I relisted again and a couple wanted a look at 6pm so I said thats a bit late o what about 5.30 then.So they show up and I say its not a good time to buy hives but they ok they will have a look well I had recently treated for mites after removing honey, wintering down boxes,afb checks and working inbetween and I open this hive and  its got dwv oh no thats not good cant have that lets hope it survives. Now its getting dark try the next 1looks good to me patchy brood well thats a sign of afb they tell me or maybe just the time of year ? hey look theres a bee trying to get out of its cell yep they do that and well as for bees sitting on the frames I think thats kinda normal too especially when its getting dark.Well another hard lesson learnt I have over 20 hives more than enough for me but I enjoy all aspects of beekeeping and try to keep on top of things, of those hives this 1 has dwv still 1 too many.Question if you find no sign of mites do you still treat them as a matter of course? Well maybe wasnt the same person just coincidence but I hope most beekers? do there best and are not trying to pass on diseaesed hives I agree I did a course before I started joined the local club go to seminars have my deca and still have queenless hives varroa problems and dread the oncoming wasp attacks and thats my 10 cents worth.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mack said:

well I often read the forum to try and keep up with whats happening and what i should be doing next.Im still learning more often the hard way after 4 years.So I thought I would sell some hives to cover some of my costs and my price got lower and lower and the months went by and still no takers so the other day I relisted again and a couple wanted a look at 6pm so I said thats a bit late o what about 5.30 then.So they show up and I say its not a good time to buy hives but they ok they will have a look well I had recently treated for mites after removing honey, wintering down boxes,afb checks and working inbetween and I open this hive and  its got dwv oh no thats not good cant have that lets hope it survives. Now its getting dark try the next 1looks good to me patchy brood well thats a sign of afb they tell me or maybe just the time of year ? hey look theres a bee trying to get out of its cell yep they do that and well as for bees sitting on the frames I think thats kinda normal too especially when its getting dark.Well another hard lesson learnt I have over 20 hives more than enough for me but I enjoy all aspects of beekeeping and try to keep on top of things, of those hives this 1 has dwv still 1 too many.Question if you find no sign of mites do you still treat them as a matter of course? Well maybe wasnt the same person just coincidence but I hope most beekers? do there best and are not trying to pass on diseaesed hives I agree I did a course before I started joined the local club go to seminars have my deca and still have queenless hives varroa problems and dread the oncoming wasp attacks and thats my 10 cents worth.

What are you treating with and when did it go in ?

Patchy  brood is not a sign of AFB in itself , but it is a sign of something - failing queen , varroa , shortage of protein .

Roping is AFB and the brood can be patchy , but certainly not always 

Edited by M4tt
  • Agree 1

Last month did about half the hives with apivar or maqs hives with no sign did sugar shake and checked drone brood i didnt treat big mistake last week i had high count on untreated hives put in maqs or apitraz.Seems like a lot of hives dont have much brood at the moment maybe due to treatment or varroa or lazy queen  certainly lots of pollen and honey in hives some have eggs and larvae coming on.Have done the odd match stick test but no sign of uncapped pupae either.appreciate the feed back happy hives.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think laziness comes into the equation when it comes to queen bees. 

• Agree 1

On 21/04/2019 at 8:44 PM, Paul Beer said:

Cool how this thread is developing.  Whoever is new at beekeeping needs to somehow keep correct info and let go of wrong info.  My son especially watched heaps of YouTube videos over 2 years and we joined a beekeeping club 6 months before buying nucs.  I would say, things just tend not to go how you planned, but it is still vital to plan and research.  I find much better help here in this forum than the club. But now i feel a need of some mentoring as we go into winter.  I'm sure you will get the right idea very soon now that you're connected here MissOlivia.  

One of the most perplexing aspects i discovered was, who or where to buy a nuc from! I tried a couple of people at the club but they just seemed not that interested. I hope you go well from now on

Hi Paul, ask a bunch of questions here so we can get an idea of your wintering down process. Happy to help if I can. 

Posted (edited)

Alright thanks, I will. 

The comb layout.  I'm basically wondering how to go about reducing the frames down to the appropriate number and arrangement, making decisions about which to remove and when.  At the moment the brood/pollen/honey are spread throughout 2 fd and 1 3/4 in both hives. I looked at Kiwimana's guide.  

Also i need an afb check/certificate.  I expect to pay for this.  Is there someone who can come look? 

Edited by Paul Beer