MissOlivia

Hive Dr Bottom Board - bees getting stuck

HI.  I just purchased a Hive Dr bottom board a few days ago and I have a lot of bees stuck and dying in the vents. Is there a way to stop them getting themselves wedged or do I purchase the smart bottom board instead. Or do I just make a timber bottom board? 

I also have another problem. I have all the hive stuff set up. I have bees and a queen. 10 waxed frames etc and a 9.5lt top feeder full of sugar syrup. I think I don't have nursery workers as there is zero comb made. I just got them like 5 days ago. I think the bees are all going to die as there won't be any brood coming. Do I just wait longer? Or do I have to get more bees?

Posted (edited)

Who are you getting advice from ? Sounds like you need a mentor of some sort .

I have got bees to draw wax with syrup at this time of the year , but it’s not something a beginner should be doing , and you need a powerful multi story hive full of bees to draw 10 frames at a time .  You also need hot days to draw comb. 

Your syrup will go sour if your bees aren’t using it quickly .

Keeping bees at this time of the year is all about wintering them down and trying to keep them alive , which is not as easy as it sounds 

How many FULL frames of bees do you have ?

Edited by M4tt
  • Good Info 1

Hi thanks for the response. My mentor is google/youtube there is a guy called david at barnyard bees and also VinoFarm + waiting for a facebook page to add me. And I have now come here for advice. I'm not sure what Full frames of bees means. is it how many bees? About 3-4 fists worth of bees?

I have also tried to purchase comb already drawn, but nobody wants to sell. There are a lot of flowers out at the moment but I though I would try give them syrup. Only about 1lt in the feeder.

Do you think They will die and i start again at the end of the year? 

I just saw that there are ''Manuka Special'' was frames. Will these be enough for the queen to lay in?

Hi there, sorry to say it but your hive sounds doomed. Where did you get the bees from? You didnt just put in a caged queen with attendant  bees into your hive ware by chance? Autumn is the wrong time to be starting out unless you have a well established colony complete with everything that bees need to survive the winter.

My advice is get someone who knows what they're doing to take a look at what you've got, then make a plan to have a proper crack next 

Season. Look at joining your local bee club, there are a whole lot of ways to kill a honeybee colony.

Sort out what's going on with your bees before looking at replacing the floorboard. Also check that the entrance is open, if it's an older type hive dr base the the broodbox slides back to shut the entrance, which could explain why bees are getting stuck in the vents. Could be robbers. Could be lots if things.

• Good Info 1

Posted (edited)

I put the box out and lots of bees came. So i bought a queen and shes in with them and they bundle around her at night to keep her warm. I have a new bottom board. I just purchased it a week ago. I didn't let the attendants go in the hive with her, i separated them in case the other bees don't like them. I will try as hard as i can to get them to survive. I will bring them inside the house when it starts to get too cold. I put a blanket over the hive at night to keep the warmth in and i take it of early morning. It gets the sun all day so they should be warm enough.

I will buy a full hive already established if i have to. Then i could split the hive in 2 so my queen has more of a colony? I'm still waiting for my beekeeping number to arrive in the post so i wont be able to purchase a hive already established until then i don't think.? Because of AFB.

I will make a tunnel so they can go outside the house when i bring them in though.

Edited by MissOlivia
  • Sad 1

i honestly dont think the bottom board is the problem here...

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MissOlivia said:

What are you thinking

Oh heck .

No, you can’t start a colony of bees with scout /robber bees and a queen .

At the very least you need your start with a very strong Nuc, but not this time of the year. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, MissOlivia said:

What are you thinking

Troll ?

• Agree 4

Prank. Surely?

Just now, CHCHPaul said:

Prank. Surely?

I doubt it. 

The timing is all out, that's all.

The syrup will be attracting heaps of robbers, which can easily be mistaken for a swarm by a beginner , and swarms need requeening .

It makes sense if you have learned from the wrong source. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

What area are you in @MissOlivia? Your profile doesn’t say, and it would help to answer your questions...

4 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

What area are you in @MissOlivia? Your profile doesn’t say, and it would help to answer your questions...

It said Auckland before..

1 minute ago, M4tt said:

It said Auckland before..

Ha! We’re being taken for a ride. Says Newb as location now. Hope they can’t hack us for this participating!

1 minute ago, CHCHPaul said:

Ha! We’re being taken for a ride. Says Newb as location now. Hope they can’t hack us for this participating!

It's always hard to know if someone is taking the piss or they are a genuine nubee looking for help .

I err on the side of help, initially , till I know different , until I know otherwise. 

Yes. I'm from Auckland. I'm embarrassed and want the post deleted now. 

• Like 2

No need to be, you're among friends here:)

• Like 2

I learned some things from YouTube.  Don't worry. I was really excited and I bought a queen. But it was a mistake. Thanks for the help

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

No need to be, you're among friends here:)

Thank you. I'm a bit down. I spent over $400 on gear and queen and things they'll need. I could have got myself a full setup by the looks on trademe. I'll try get a hive maybe in spring or summer maybe

If you want real beekeeping youtube , look at our very own Trevor Gillbanks series.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MissOlivia said:

I learned some things from YouTube.  Don't worry. I was really excited and I bought a queen. But it was a mistake. Thanks for the help

Thank you. I'm a bit down. I spent over $400 on gear and queen and things they'll need. I could have got myself a full setup by the looks on trademe. I'll try get a hive maybe in spring or summer maybe

There is nothing wrong with your gear. 

The next best advice you will ever hear is stay away from Trademe for bees.

You are right at the beginning of an exciting journey , and you've come to the right place for help and to learn. 

Spend the winter learning about beekeeping so you are ready in about November for a good nuc.They are not hard to come by from good beekeepers, of whom you will find if you stick around here.

We've all made mistakes . There is nothing wrong with that . Learn, and don't repeat them . 

I'm impressed enough that you observed and recognised something was wrong 

Welcome 😊

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 1

OK. Thank you,  I will keep learning. If I don't buy them on Trade me where am I suppose to get them? The Facebook page nz beekeeping buy sell trade?

Welcome @MissOlivia

take @M4tt advice, stick around the forum and learn from some great bee keepers 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MissOlivia said:

OK. Thank you,  I will keep learning. If I don't buy them on Trade me where am I suppose to get them? The Facebook page nz beekeeping buy sell trade?

Any number of us here will help you out if you stick around and learn 😉😊

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MissOlivia said:

Join your local Bee club.  They will sell bees at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Good Info 1