jamesc

Do it to me one more time ... in a side by side.

The old house is quiet tonight. 

I had an old mate up today. His boy brought him up riding shotgun on a sales trip.  It's been one of those stunningly beautifull days in Te Wai Pounamu , that time of year when the trees start to turn and  the mornings have an eye watering chill in them ,and the roar and the croak of the stags resound around the valley.

The old mates' boy sells machinery,  so seeing as the Can Am has been in the fix it shop for two weeks and they are having team meetings over what to do with it , I thought we should look at our options.

There are always options.  The stockman has been  riding Shank's pony. He's been very polite about it. He always is.  My new pony has been in the yards getting started ..... and he is a beauty .... a pure bred short coupled Arab that my mare from hell gave birth to eight years ago ..... but good things take time .....

So the Can Am is busted and it turns out my old mate's boy sells Mr Kubota's machinery.  

So they arrived at 8.00 am with the side by side on the trailer.

We seem to go through the bikes. Side by sides, quad bikes, motorcross bikes ..... they all need fixing.  The quads diff crapped out last week.  The seal went on the back axle and the diff must have ran out of oil and ended up with one wheel drive.

We won't talk about the Can Am.

So we had a look  at the Kubota .  A 28hp three cylinder diesel that sounds like the Bobcat , powered by Kubota. She's got hydrostatic drive, oil immersed brakes, phenomenal engine braking on the descents ..... and a half tonne hydraulic tip deck. And she comes dressed in Camo.

Eldest boy and Mum did the road testing.

Old mate, his boy, and I followed in the cruiser. Climbed the dark side track to the top of the hill and sat in the sun absorbing the view of the foothills, the new snow on Mt Hutt, the mist in the Selwyn and the Torlesse ranges craggy skyline beckoning. And we talked of the old days .... back when .... when we worked for Airborne , about when old Arthur died up the Rakaia on his last mission to the bees, and had to be carted back to Leeston on the back of the bee truck, and the party's me other old  mate had, who was my boss , when the young beekeepers passed out under the table at six o'clock ..... in the morning .... and the lack of high viz, and certificates ....  and the phone calls on a thursday night  to move a thousand bees out of pollination by the weekend and only armstrong  cranes and grit  to lift them.

And as we  sat in the sun and reflected .... Old mate , his Boy and I ..... and all was quiet as My boy and his mum went on daring deeds to try and kill the Kubota in  some swamp hidden bog hole  in the valley below .... I put it to old mate ..... "How d'ya grow such a good boy ?"  

'Life and love. Lotsa love.'

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Where are the photos.  All this romance and no photos of the Camo Kubota or the view from the top.

Uh Huh .....   the phone was dead.....

• Haha 1

The morning after the bunnies got away

BC01B2D3-43A2-45F3-9614-DCA12E5ED098.jpeg

Young blood

A7ACF1F8-A5C9-4EC8-A0BF-8AAD4C15A93D.jpeg

The real answer to climate change

99AD341C-D4CC-427D-945A-7718725654F0.jpeg

Don't cost a lot to make these hunnies.

Ok team.... I 'aint fishing for likes . I'm tired of fixing machines and want something that is gonna last  a couple of years .... whose got a  kubota side by side ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I gotta Husqvarna side by side... in 12gauge....

it’s old, real old, it’s a bit rough round the edges, it’s beautifully  well made...

it’s pretty quick up and down hill, but I wouldn’t like to sit on it. 

Its not that nice to stand behind either really... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I gotta Husqvarna side by side... in 12gauge....

it’s old, real old, it’s a bit rough round the edges, it’s beautifully  well made...

it’s pretty quick up and down hill, but I wouldn’t like to sit on it. 

Its not that nice to stand behind either really... 

Ah ... now we is talking ..... stand in front of it .... ?

2 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yeah .. na , it has a tendency to put holes in things.. and I already got a couple of those.. 

Ah yep , no .... I think we'll just park that one .... sounds like the wrong sort of trouble.💗

1 minute ago, Philbee said:

I got a hill flattener as well 

midge after Kohuratahi 40km ride.jpg

Holy mother of the sacred one .... that looks like a goer . Do we put a bet on ?

Thouroghbred Phil .... ?

Judgig by the halter ...you might be a disciple of  Mr Pat Parelli ....  

14 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ah yep , no .... I think we'll just park that one .... sounds like the wrong sort of trouble.💗

Holy mother of the sacred one .... that looks like a goer . Do we put a bet on ?

Thouroghbred Phil .... ?

Judgig by the halter ...you might be a disciple of  Mr Pat Parelli ....  

Lol Yes a Thoroughbred but very Arabish to look at.
As for the halter I tend to be a minimalist as far as tack goes

Never ever ride in a bit,

This horse has never been mouthed.
She will happily go 80km endurance bare foot and will carry me 100kg all up at evens pace (60kmhr)

One hell of a horse

Ah hah .... looks like a lot of fun ......   we bred our Arabs for endurance .....  they are one sweet treats of nature ...... they give and give and never ask questions  when the universal goes !!.  But of course, the Thoroughbred has a lot of Arab in it. Man, how I love those critters. Honesty and integrity and luv you the next day.    

Edited by jamesc

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Ah hah .... looks like a lot of fun ......   we bred our Arabs for endurance .....  they are one sweet treats of nature ...... they give and give and never ask questions  when the universal goes !!.  But of course, the Thoroughbred has a lot of Arab in it. Man, how I love those critters. Honesty and integrity and luv you the next day.    

Yes and thats why I never put steel in their mouth

In the old days I rode a lot of problematic  ex race horses

First  step take the bit away, its not going to stop a horse that is intent on bolting

Ah .....bolting horses .... the mother of the three amigos was a bitch. I put it down to the way she was started. Pure bred Arab ..... she took off on me one day, so I gave her her head and let her run ...... bout six k's, then we hit a hill and she kept going another  two k's til she ran out of puff, Turned her around and walked her home.  She never really liked me, so we made her a brood mare. She  still does'nt like me .  Love is like that sometimes ... eh. 

Of course, dogs are slightly different.

059DE98C-6522-4FB6-99EF-FB8F658ED780.jpeg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

.are you going to have to hand many of your guns in .?

11 hours ago, Philbee said:

I got a hill flattener as well 

midge after Kohuratahi 40km ride.jpg

Wow! How tall is she? Long legged beauty.

3 hours ago, dansar said:

Wow! How tall is she? Long legged beauty.

Not tall at all, 15,3

You can't eat a motorbike but then again it doesn't kick you in the head after you fall off. I think I'll stick with my ute.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1