Rookie

Manuka Pollen DNA

45 minutes ago, Jacob said:

The absence of a strong correlation doesn't make them unfit as markers though, it is the classification rules give rise to that problem. If the rules were modified, the problems would largely disappear.

@Jacob if you were making the “rules” what would they be ?

and just wondering out load I wonder if the packers aren’t buying much lower grade mono or multi because they are concerned about getting caught with honey that’s no longer what MPI said it was if the standard changes yet again.

All this uncertainty over the standard must have our offshore buyers concerned about what they are buying.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Jacob if you were making the “rules” what would they be ?

Tough question. I think the multi/mono distinction has caused more problems than it has solved, so I would consider abolishing it in favor of a single set of thresholds. Perhaps 1/1/1/100, with no DNA included. As with all of these studies, the optimum solution to the problem depends on what data you're looking at, and what compromises you're willing to accept. Currently we have a classification system which excludes most kanuka at the expense of some manuka, which is a compromise I don't think is okay.

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, Jacob said:

Currently we have a classification system which excludes most kanuka at the expense of some manuka,

Excludes "most " kanuka......does this imply "some" kanuka isn't excluded ? Is  quantity referred to or species ?

20 hours ago, yesbut said:

Excludes "most " kanuka......does this imply "some" kanuka isn't excluded ? Is  quantity referred to or species ?

Correct, a small portion of supposedly monofloral kanuka samples still pass the MPI test. These are few few and far between, and in reality they're probably half kanuka and half manuka anyway, which explains why they pass. Not sure about the crop size or and species effects.

• Good Info 1