M4tt

Changing FD plastic frames to 3/4

I’ve been wanting to change all my gear to 3/4 depth.

Boxes are easy. Zip the bottom off with the table saw.

But then there are about 1000 plastic frames. Most are second hand and rewaxed, so sending them to the tip is a fairly bad idea, as is selling second hand gear.

What do you reckon about taking the bottom off with the table saw, cutting frame to size with table saw , and glueing the bottom back on. What type of glue is best ?

Frames definitely can be cut with the saw, I’ve had to adjust a couple a few years back for the observation hive .

Or or do I just leave them with out the bottom of the frame 

All suggestions welcome 😊

i have a couple FD drone frames cut down which work fine with no bottom bar. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

With the existing wax, there would be problems finding a suitable adhesive to reattach the bottom strip securely, and with sods law, bound to dislodge at worst possible time - like in extractor, so as Tristan says, use without one and mainly as brood frames.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

With the existing wax, there would be problems finding a suitable adhesive to reattach the bottom strip securely, and with sods law, bound to dislodge at worst possible time - like in extractor, so as Tristan says, use without one and mainly as brood frames.

Good point , thanks 

I’ve just cut them down on the band saw. Like the others, no need to glue the bottom bar back on z

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1000 frames is one hundred boxes. This could be 50 doubles? Next Spring you could split these into 100 hives each set up with an FD brood box at the bottom and a new 3/4 brood box above. When fully populated, you could put all the 3/4 boxes together and all the FD boxes together. Then you could sell all the FD hives; each as a going concern. This would transition all your brood onto new 3/4 virgin comb, new bases and new lids. You wouldn't make much honey if all their energy was going into making bees and/or wax. But since honey is now worthless :) it might be a way to do the transition that involves less work and that the work involved might pay for itself. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ChrisM said:

1000 frames is one hundred boxes. This could be 50 doubles? Next Spring you could split these into 100 hives each set up with an FD brood box at the bottom and a new 3/4 brood box above. When fully populated, you could put all the 3/4 boxes together and all the FD boxes together. Then you could sell all the FD hives; each as a going concern. This would transition all your brood onto new 3/4 virgin comb, new bases and new lids. You wouldn't make much honey if all their energy was going into making bees and/or wax. But since honey is now worthless :) it might be a way to do the transition that involves less work and that the work involved might pay for itself. 

I get stuck on the concept of ‘selling’ hives .

In a more positive market that would work but I believe I missed it by about 18 months 😉

• Like 1

There are already a massive number of nubeeks splitting to sell in spring in the mistaken belief that the prices will rise again, and it simply won't happen. Virtually no nucs or hives selling for real money on Trademe - some nucs have sold without reserve for as low as $65. If you are good with that, go for it, but all that work for the hell of, I don't think so.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

There are already a massive number of nubeeks splitting to sell in spring in the mistaken belief that the prices will rise again, and it simply won't happen. Virtually no nucs or hives selling for real money on Trademe - some nucs have sold without reserve for as low as $65. If you are good with that, go for it, but all that work for the hell of, I don't think so.

I’ve been looking for an excuse to get out in the shed 😉. This works well for me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M4tt said:

I get stuck on the concept of ‘selling’ hives .

In a more positive market that would work but I believe I missed it by about 18 months 😉

I agree completely and not something to do for the sake of it. But I'm not suggesting a get rich quick scheme. If you look at the actual cost of a 3/4 box, new base, lid, hive mat it isn't that high. So the actual price you need to sell at to do better than chopping 1000 brood frames isn't massive. Selling good hives at a modest price actually helps put some of those trademe people out of business. It could help a beekeeper that you already know if it was below his cost and there are plenty of people struggling who might appreciate help for one reason or another.

• Like 2

I’ve given hives away and no one springs to mind that I particularly want to sell any too . I won’t advertise on trademe. 

Your suggestion is a good one and half my hives are 3/4. The plan was to sell the FD hives, but with current circumstances I’ve moved from plan A to Plan B .

😊

Easy as . First stack of boxes resized and on to the frames .

Pozi drive screws all come out and rescrew in the new corners 

31EDDA3F-ABE3-4B42-AAC8-D6BDF5F93066.jpeg

7A20A121-3125-4C62-B64C-60E95D56116A.jpeg

CA525618-C953-450C-AF90-BBC5DF109A61.jpeg

• Like 9

I re attached the bottom bar with clear silicone when I did mine, still good after 2 seasons but then I use a wooden spatula to get honey so am just a bit more careful with them. Having said that I had a few this year that I had cut down but hadn't got around to re fixing the bar I used them anyway and it didn't seem to make any difference.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

I re attached the bottom bar with clear silicone when I did mine, still good after 2 seasons but then I use a wooden spatula to get honey so am just a bit more careful with them. Having said that I had a few this year that I had cut down but hadn't got around to re fixing the bar I used them anyway and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Yes , I remember your handy work with the glue .

I remodeled 12 boxes and 98 frames last night . It’s a simple process and won’t take long .

I am pleased asked about the glue and don’t need to bother 😊

Posted (edited)

Is this burst of conversion an acknowledgement of your advancing years @M4tt ? Anticpating the downhill slide now that you're not thrashing your ring off milking ?

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Is this burst of conversion an acknowledgement of your advancing years @M4tt ? Anticpating the downhill slide now that you're not thrashing your ring off milking ?

Correct 😉

• Haha 4