cBank

Melting down black comb

In the OA thread @Stoney mentions melting down black frames. How much wax does this get? I’ve got a some and having given it a try once, was going to just bury it, as I got so little wax. Maybe I need to try harder (and maybe hotter?).

what do others do?

How much wax you get is all about scale. 

We send pallets of boxes and frames by the truckload to a company for rendering down. 

If you are doing the odd frame here and there it may take you a long time to build up any wax stock. 

Also the wax is really only any good for making candles and lip balm. So limited value. 

I use a steam melter and it is quite surprising how much is retrievable.

Also good for waxing plastic frames.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

it depends how you melt it. The Pupaes skins will soak up a lot of wax if you melt it "dry".

Steam and hot water will soak the skins and thus reduce the amount of wax wasted.

• Good Info 4

1 minute ago, Christi An said:

it depends how you melt it. The Pupaes skins will soak up a lot of wax if you melt it "dry".

Steam and hot water will soak the skins and thus reduce the amount of wax wasted.

Yes.  If you use a solar melter, you retrieve very little wax.

Steam sure extracts it well.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I've tried boiling it in a stock pot and that gets it out, but in my experience it wasn't really worth the effort.

There wasn't a lot of wax in it and I wouldn't bother next time. 

• Agree 1

Hi .. Get hold of a steam paper stripper, an eak and two hive boxes and the metal off a hive roof. 

Sit the eak in the up turned metal and drill a hole in the side the size of the pipe from your paper stripper.

Stack the boxes with frames in on the eak and put an unvented roof on top

Fill the steamer and leave it run.  later you will have wax, sterilized boxes and frames.

Put a mesh floor above the eak to prevent stuff dropping into your wax and make an

insulated cover/roof to quicken up the process.

Great way to kill of wax moth in infected hives, throw the gently steamed grubs to your birds.  The left over detritis will compost.

• Like 1

Please could you tell me what an ‘eak’ is?

www.dave-cushman.net/bee/eke.html

Rational Eke. Eke. A spacer that gives extra height in a hive. In beekeeping terms an "Eke" is simply a spacer that goes between, over or under hive parts to create extra space for a number of reasons. Ekes are very versatile and quite interesting bits of kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cBank said:

Please could you tell me what an ‘eak’ is?

1 hour ago, tudor said:

Rational Eke. Eke. A spacer that gives extra height in a hive. In beekeeping terms an "Eke" is simply a spacer that goes between, over or under hive parts to create extra space for a number of reasons. Ekes are very versatile and quite interesting bits of kit.

Certainly are versatile.  I use my top feeder rims as eke spacers.

• Good Info 1

1 hour ago, tudor said:

You learn something new every day. Before this if I had been asked what an Eke had to do with beehives I would have probably said it was the noise I made when a mouse jumped out unexpectedly.

• Haha 9

On 16/04/2019 at 8:07 AM, john berry said:

You learn something new every day. Before this if I had been asked what an Eke had to do with beehives I would have probably said it was the noise I made when a mouse jumped out unexpectedly.

That was definitely an eek I heard John.  Eke is used (not necessarily with beehives) as in 'eke it out' aka 'stretch it out'.  Makes sense.