Jump to content

Recommended Posts

@M4tt did you say there were bees out front .

Some of the alive bees out front of my dead hive were a bit wobbly too.

But there was no honey in the hive and some bees were hatching with the tongues out .

I am sure it was starvation .

I have only ever seen one shinny bee and no stumpy wings .

Is it possible I do not have the virus .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dear Diary ....what a crappy old day it's been..... But brightened by a young fellah who came up looking for a job on the bees.  It's not exactly the time to be hiring labour, but he'd been laid off b

Sometimes the Forum is a bit of a gossip column .... but anyway ...... I had a fascinating day today ..... meeting Bruce from Ceracell on his road trip to bolster enthusiasm in the honey industry.

Interestingly , the bees have developed some sort of tolerance to the staples because wher they had mined wax from under them last time I checked , they have rebuilt and either filled with capped hone

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@M4tt did you say there were bees out front .

Some of the alive bees out front of my dead hive were a bit wobbly too.

But there was no honey in the hive and some bees were hatching with the tongues out .

I am sure it was starvation .

I have only ever seen one shinny bee and no stumpy wings .

Is it possible I do not have the virus .

One had a pile of dead bees out front , another they'd retreated up to the feeder to die .

Mine most certainly aren't starving . They're actually bringing in fresh nectar

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, M4tt said:

Alrighty.......

 

House apiary today . 7 hives .

First one , second year Frazz queen. Looks good .

Second. There is a half paralysed new supercedure queen . Hardly any bees . It got merged with its neighbour , the third hive , who is full of shiny bees ........hmmm.

 Fourth . Strong . Full of shiny bees , mostly working the edges of the hive . Brood nest workers look ok .

Fifth . Shiny bees . Weak and fading .

Sixth .  Shiny bees . Weak and fading . Merged with Seventh , shiny bees , weak and fading . 

 

Seven became Five which I am pretty sure will be One in the near future.

 

Any one else seeing this ? 

 

 

Feeder is full of dead shiny bees , and hairy bees . No syrup been in there 

DC65D46D-0E05-4B44-BF2E-F5CD9CBAA637.jpeg

823F3AF7-15CB-4379-A167-86A35464AB4D.jpeg

######!! 

Are most of the shiny bees in the bottom box ?? I see this quiet often where the bottom box is pretty much empty, there seems to be a really high percentage of old bees hanging around down there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

######!! 

Are most of the shiny bees in the bottom box ?? I see this quiet often where the bottom box is pretty much empty, there seems to be a really high percentage of old bees hanging around down there. 

The sick  bees appear away from the broodnest , so yes in the bottom box where there is no brood , and the outer frames .

This pic is outside one hive . Not all hives have dead bees out front . 

They have been rained on this morning but you can  still see they are shiny 

03F952E3-2A44-4585-98FB-37E63985E4F8.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not had a hive with this before - the shaking and deaths etc.  But I do notice in some hives from time to time a greater number of bees that look like this.  I think of them more as robber bees.  But in any event they always seem to hang out together near the bottom of the frames.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, M4tt said:

The sick  bees appear away from the broodnest , so yes in the bottom box where there is no brood , and the outer frames .

This pic is outside one hive . Not all hives have dead bees out front . 

They have been rained on this morning but you can  still see they are shiny 

03F952E3-2A44-4585-98FB-37E63985E4F8.jpeg

💩

have you thought about feeding them some feedbee or similar tonic ?

 

18 hours ago, M4tt said:

 

 

823F3AF7-15CB-4379-A167-86A35464AB4D.jpeg

What’s that detritus under the bees ?? Looks like wax ripped apart.  Could it be they’re getting robbed out ?? 

Edited by nikki watts
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, nikki watts said:

💩

have you thought about feeding them some feedbee or similar tonic ?

 

What’s that detritus under the bees ?? Looks like wax ripped apart.  Could it be they’re getting robbed out ?? 

Detritus is old wax scrapings that they have cleaned up and are sitting on . No sign of robbing .

 

Not really keen to feed tonics . It will have to run its course 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I visited my isplated site yesterday.No sign of any varroa, mind you nearest beek is 8km as the crow fles.One hive which is headed by an Amm has stopped laying.The other heeaded by an Italian is still laying well.Honey coming in,Erica Lusitanica.Hopefully  I will get some comb drawn.I will use this AMM to breed up.I have access to sites which are miles away from othe beeks and the only bees in the area are amm survivors I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes education pays off, and today we dodged a bullet after edumacating one of our landowners.

TXT last night to inform me the chopper would be visiting our bee yard on their property to apply a combinatination of glyphosate, metsulfuron, organo sticker and terbathylaxzine .... now if that 'aint gonna give the bees a headache.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...