Trevor Gillbanks

April 2019 Apiary Diary

We used to tie an empty sardine tin to the fence and I watched a young bear have a go at the tin twice then ran away.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bighands said:

We used to tie an empty sardine tin to the fence and I watched a young bear have a go at the tin twice then ran away.

I have been reading about honey bagers which are widespread across africa and asia .

We are lucky we just have varroa and a few diseases .

My day started at 8.30 am yesterday in hives that were cold and grump
Its just finished a 1.15 am the next day.
This day I finished setting up the staple efficacy trial of 43 Hives, 43 Alc washes and lots of counting Bees and Varroa
Then I made a few thousand Staples and then made an E book of trial photos and data.

Tomorrow Ill treat some Hives and maybe do a few washes then probably make some more Staples

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

This day I finished setting up the staple efficacy trial of 43 Hives, 43 Alc washes and lots of counting Bees and Varroa
Then I made a few thousand Staples and then made an E book of trial photos and data.

Tomorrow Ill treat some Hives and maybe do a few washes then probably make some more Staples

My god , you are the energiser bunny .

Its a good thing you are still really young , when you are old you may slow down . LOL.

I hate it now it has got cold in the mornings , much harder to start .

• Like 1

Saw these hives when having lunch on a Mekong River cruise  They are right around the restaurant for the tourists  Their bees are much smaller and very calm.  Sampled some of the honey which is light and very runny.  They served it with some pollen and tea made from pandan leaves.  It was quite nice.

Vietnam1.jpg.f25c369c0fe27f3fef52158552acf595.jpgVietnnam2.jpg.714fa9fdc1b9c4e0c5cdca2f7ba9f647.jpg

• Like 7

They look nearly as black as my mongrels. Is that all the frames? I wonder what a season looks like in the tropics?

That's what i like about some other countries. Couldn't have a beehive with unfettered access at a NZ resteraunt, OSH would require the people be protected.

• Agree 2

It could still work, though the menu would have to be all soups, awkwardly sieved though the veil.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yeah nah ..... Go join Hector on the Mekong !  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yeah nah ..... Go join Hector on the Mekong !  

He will need to hurry because I will be in Hanoi tomorrow then Halong Bay lying back on a deck with another cold one. 

On 7/04/2019 at 1:21 AM, Philbee said:

Push it over the line @Philbee

Over 70 loads @ 2-2.5 cube on one of my wintering sites ready for shifting tonight

IMG_20190408_172938_compress_13.jpg

Shifted 55 more hives to my wintering site, 20hour day yesterday finishing at 12:30 and unloading this morning at 9am then went on to put staples in and feed 3 sites with a bit of chainsaw clearing to let some light in 

IMG_20190409_103009-2340x3120-1755x2340.jpg

IMG_20190409_091159-1560x2080.jpg

• Like 10

Been a funny old day..... two queens in one hive .... young and old on same frame.... i left them to it..... and a gentle nudge that climaye change is real .... a hive that did’nt make it and overcome with wax moth. Never seen that before down here.

D393C126-7E5D-4496-9E7E-E5CB12AD0F59.jpeg

You got help there Maru .... looks like a lot of mahe mahe .....🍻

• Sad 4

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

Been a funny old day..... two queens in one hive .... young and old on same frame.... i left them to it..... and a gentle nudge that climaye change is real .... a hive that did’nt make it and overcome with wax moth. Never seen that before down here.

D393C126-7E5D-4496-9E7E-E5CB12AD0F59.jpeg

You got help there Maru .... looks like a lot of mahe mahe .....🍻

I got a mate helping me, just put in 2 buckets of staples only 5 more to go then I get a few weeks off. 

Wow Iv never seen a hive that overcome with wax moth before climate change is happening, the Towai is flowering up in the far north and my hives are quite full

In most sites. 

Looks like I got 10 000L surplus feed compared to last season. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Looks like I got 10 000L surplus feed compared to last season. 

that will put you in a good position in spring.  Nice job on the bee site.  Where's the Cruiser?  Didn't you buy one?  is that the trailer for hauling 6 pallets of honey? 

that's the Dmax you repowered?  Have you done anything to the suspension?  

Edited by Gino de Graaf

23 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

that will put you in a good position in spring.  Nice job on the bee site.  Where's the Cruiser?  Didn't you buy one?  is that the trailer for hauling 6 pallets of honey? 

that's the Dmax you repowered?  Have you done anything to the suspension?  

I decided the cruiser isn't what I need, I need a big truck a NP450 is what I want. 

I have hauled 6 pallets with the trailor before but it was way overloaded, I just been putting one pallet on the Dmax and 4 on the trailor per load and with the Dmax done up its boosting. I put a iron man kit of heavy duty leaf springs in it and foam shocks which make it a way better ride, it currently blows the stock v8 cruiser away. 

3 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I put a iron man kit of heavy duty leaf springs in it and foam shocks which make it a way better ride

How does it ride empty?  Did it lift the deck height much?  Thanks!

I got my winter feeding setup the other day and can't quite figure how I'm going to mount it to the alloy deck on the Honda

IMG_20190410_122455-2340x3120.jpg

I got my winter feeding setup the other day and can't quite figure how I'm going to mount it to the alloy deck on the Honda

IMG_20190410_122502-2340x3120-1170x1560.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

How does it ride empty?  Did it lift the deck height much?  Thanks!

I think it did raise it slightly but that could also be due to the bull bar on the front.

It rides really well without a load and has awesome handling, in my opinion its the best ute round.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Hard to imagine how it sits - photo not so obvious.  Does it not fit inside your Honda tray?  

Posted (edited)

You really want the centre of gravity as low as possible, and that galvanised frame is lifting it high and increasing risk of tipping the vehicle over.

Me, I would ditch the steel frame entirely, put a bit of heavy duty ply on the deck to reduce slip, and put the tank straight onto that. I would lash it in place with ropes or tie downs, so it could be easily lifted off any time you want to do that.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

You really want the centre of gravity as low as possible, and that galvanised frame is lifting it high and increasing risk of tipping the vehicle over.

Me, I would ditch the steel frame entirely, put a bit of heavy duty ply on the deck to reduce slip, and put the tank straight onto that. I would lash it in place with ropes or tie downs, so it could be easily lifted off any time you want to do that.

That's what I was thinking, Iv got some baffles coming because it's a 200L tank and it probly will only take 150L even though its got a beefed up suspension

• Like 1

Will the syrup be pumped out or gravity fed?

If relying on gravity i guess you can't have it too low.

16 hours ago, Alastair said:

Will the syrup be pumped out or gravity fed?

If relying on gravity i guess you can't have it too low.

It's got a electric pump, I got a Honda motor on my truck setup so thought I'd give it try 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dear Diary ....what a crappy old day it's been..... But brightened by a young fellah who came up looking for a job on the bees.  It's not exactly the time to be hiring labour, but he'd been laid off by another operation and I'm behind the eight ball on the schedule of getting bees into the winter. And I had a big think about it ..... how our thoughts and actions dictate how we move forward, and if we are focused on the D-Day  and selling bees and winding up, then  as sure as eggs is eggs that will happen ..... but if we are positive and plan for the future, then our plans may move forward , perhaps not in the direction we thought,  but forward for sure. For  life is a journey ....and  we need to be open and ready to   travel it.  So I put a stake in the ground .... and hired him.  The bank can go and take a hike, because youth are our future.  

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Dear Diary ....what a crappy old day it's been..... But brightened by a young fellah who came up looking for a job on the bees.  It's not exactly the time to be hiring labour, but he'd been laid off by another operation.  

James I have to wonder..... does his first name starts with J??

50 minutes ago, Stoney said:

James I have to wonder..... does his first name starts with J??

Oh Dear .... Stoney can't receive a private message .....