dkar

PHOTO FOR AMERICAN FOULBROOD

My name is Karakousis Dimitris and I am from Greece. I'm a teacher and beekeeper. I have written some books on beekeeping and I am preparing one that is related to bee diseases. I need your help. I need a couple of pictures of American foulbrood. Do you have any such photo? I will mention in the book the source of the photographs and I will send a copy as a gift to the one who will give me.
Yours sincerely

Welcome along to the forum.

You are welcome to use anything you can get off here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

good video trev!

Sad about the topic but its good to see the process

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rashika said:

good video trev!

Sad, but my most watched video.  Around 50K views.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Sad, but my most watched video.  Around 50K views.

I guess at least that means people are learning what to do

• Agree 2

0599DFF6-B9A0-40C9-8B4D-933114C23CAC.png

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 3
  • Sad 1

Oh crud .... nice new plastic frame ...... judging by facebook .... looks like the bottom of the North island has gone on red alert today.

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Oh crud .... nice new plastic frame ...... judging by facebook .... looks like the bottom of the North island has gone on red alert today.

* South Wairarapa beekeeper

* 275 (32%) of hives owned by the beek found to be infected with afb

* 14 sites with robbed out hives.

Reminiscent of that guy down in Canterbury not that long ago. In this case, again, i have no sympathy for the culprit and am glad they have been caught. I'm sure we'll have people chiming in again saying that its mean to judge, that seems to be how it goes.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Reminiscent of that guy down in Canterbury not that long ago. In this case, again, i have no sympathy for the culprit and am glad they have been caught. I'm sure we'll have people chiming in again saying that its mean to judge, that seems to be how it goes.

He burnt 89 hives.  Agency burnt 196.  But what about the supers etc.

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

What a disaster.

How are these getting found all of a sudden ? 

• Agree 2

I feel sad for him .

No one  deserves to have to burn their hives .

We do not know what back story got them  into this situation .

Posted (edited)

With the exception of undiagnosed dementia, stroke or tumour, I can’t think of any back story that makes these levels of neglect acceptable.

Like our Canterbury issue, with >30% affected, how could any of it be considered safe. I would “give a little” to buy some new gear & to see every piece of their gear burnt. 

Edited by Josh
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, tommy dave said:

Ah so, has the bubble  burst and with low honey prices/demand people are losing interest and walking away .......

In both the recent cases it would be interesting to know if they are new Beekeeping who have bought say 100 hives and split to increase their numbers quickly, the stock they bought/split was already infected and this is the end result.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 1/04/2019 at 8:21 AM, Rashika said:

good video trev!

My first AFB hive had 3 full boxes on a double brood and all was new gear, mac bottom board and all with stainless steel crews I was engry because it must have robbed neighbouring afb

12 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

That's an AFB bomb waiting to explode 

7 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

My first AFB hive had 3 full boxes on a double brood and all was new gear, mac bottom board and all with stainless steel crews I was engry because it must have robbed neighbouring afb

That's an AFB bomb waiting to explode 

Next season the same amount will probly break down, that's what usially happens within 18 months, been there, see that. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, M4tt said:

What a disaster.

How are these getting found all of a sudden ? 

The Management Agency has recently implemented changes to its apiary inspections:

1. The number of AP2s inspecting apiaries has been increased from 21 to 37

2. The Management Agency is now actively searching for beekeeping operations with high levels of unreported AFB, and we have changed our processes for managing AP2 inspections to facilitate this.

Regrettably - the Management Agency believes that there are many more beekeeping operations with high levels of unreported AFB yet to be identified.

Beekeepers can assist the Management Agency to identify beekeeping operations with high levels of unreported AFB by ensuring that they report all cases of AFB they find, both within 7 days and as part of their Annual Disease Return. The Management Agency uses this information to identify geographic clusters of AFB and prioritise  apiaries within the clusters for inspection. If we find one or more apiaries with a higher than expected level of AFB we schedule further apiaries owned by the same beekeeper for inspection to make a more thorough assessment of the level of AFB in their hives.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Good Info 3

4 hours ago, AFB PMP Management Agency said:

The Management Agency has recently implemented changes to its apiary inspections:

1. The number of AP2s inspecting apiaries has been increased from 21 to 37

2. The Management Agency is now actively searching for beekeeping operations with high levels of unreported AFB, and we have changed our processes for managing AP2 inspections to facilitate this.

Regrettably - the Management Agency believes that there are many more beekeeping operations with high levels of unreported AFB yet to be identified.

Well it’s great to hear you have kicked things up a gear.... I’m hoping there are another couple of gears yet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

What was in that photo @Stoney ? One sunken cell ? Or other sunken cells in the frame but not in that photo . . .?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

Well it’s great to hear you have kicked things up a gear.... I’m hoping there are another couple of gears yet. 

hopefully the levy increase proposal goes through, they had a few gears suggested that they were unable to fund..

6 hours ago, JohnF said:

What was in that photo @Stoney ? One sunken cell ? Or other sunken cells in the frame but not in that photo . . .?

I took that pic back in spring John, from memory the next frame was a bit worse. 

However One bad cell is all we need to burn it. 

Usually go no further through it once one goopy cell is confirmed, unless there are apprentices on site, they always get a good look through and an education session. 

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

hopefully the levy increase proposal goes through, they had a few gears suggested that they were unable to fund..

More feet on the ground inspecting does cost more money, however, any improvement is welcomed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hotdogdamdiggettydog .  I got nothing to say this time yer honour, except that the only reason we are'nt expanding in a time of  low hive prices is that experienced beekeepers are like hens teeth.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Hotdogdamdiggettydog .  I got nothing to say this time yer honour, except that the only reason we are'nt expanding in a time of  low hive prices is that experienced beekeepers are like hens teeth.

I would have thought this coming off season would be a good chance of hooking some fresh fish, there must be a few goodies swimming around searching for new horizons after this season surely?? 

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I would have thought this coming off season would be a good chance of hooking some fresh fish, there must be a few goodies swimming around searching for new horizons after this season surely?? 

Hmmm .... I tink I might send my CV out ...... aaah ... yeah nah .... something about old dogs new tricks. I might just go fishing next summer.

Got a good pic showing tongue today. 

AFB hunting once again, this rounds incouragement for staff is a $50.00 supermarket or hunting and fishing voucher per find.. just to make sure the tempo is kept up and we don’t get complacent this close to winter break. 

D78704F9-5F8E-4B97-8476-F3BB6D8C6A44.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3