We have the stuff coming in thick and fast and are pumping syrup into them hard and fast to combat it, huge aphid colonies seen over a large area of our patch... anyone else fighting this right  now? 

Colonies are building up on it and have brood boxes and top feeders full of the stuff... likely related to the swarming we are experiencing in one area in pparticular..

This is the second season here that we haven’t really had any willow dew flow.

I tried to post a photo the other day of what I think is a harlequin ladybird but it was too big to load.

If we have these ladybirds here that would explain the absence of willow dew.

We didn’t mind the dew the bees seemed to winter well on it and it meant we didn’t have to feed. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

The giant Willow aphid population  is at its lowest for the last three years here . There are only small clusters of about 100 here and there rather than the trees being covered by them completely . Wasps are working whatever dew  there is. Bees have never been interested 

Edited by M4tt
  • Good Info 1

Not seeing very much willow dew at all for the second year. We had the ladybirds between the hive mat and the lids in big numbers last year.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stoney said:

We have the stuff coming in thick and fast and are pumping syrup into them hard and fast to combat it, huge aphid colonies seen over a large area of our patch... 

Stoney how long have you had the aphids in your area? I'm thinking maybe the ladybirds haven't got there yet.

For me, way less willow dew than normal although still enough for the guys extracting my honey to complain about. Unlike a few years ago, the willow trees here are looking healthy, nothing visibly wrong with them at all, a few years ago some of them looked terrible.

Weirdly, i saw some very clear and very thick honey in some of the boxes, it's not granulated, and never seen it before and no idea what it is. And the long experienced commercial beekeepers who extracted my honey have not seen it before either, and i got some pretty heavy wets back because they just couldn't get it all out.

Edited by Alastair

Posted (edited)

We aren’t seeing all that awful sooty mould on everything growing under the willows or the dark patches on the roads that have willows hanging over them.

it would be good if the harlequin ate scolypopa nymphs as well :) 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Alastair said:

Weirdly, i saw some very clear and very thick honey in some of the boxes, it's not granulated, and never seen it before and no idea what it is. And the long experienced commercial beekeepers who extracted my honey have not seen it before either, and i got some pretty heavy wets back because they just couldn't get it all out.

got a pic?

what does it taste like?

are you sure its not something far more common, just very very dry and the extractors may not be doing the best job ?

Sorry no pic. Taste, pretty bland nothing special. Yes maybe it's just real dry, the extractors suggested that might be it.

I think they did a pretty good job, it was real thick, not gel that can be broken like manuka, but more toffee like.

If i get more next year I'll keep a sample and try to ID.

I haven't had any issues with willow dew this year, very little of it coming into hives in the Far North. Last year there was definitely more, and the year before was a real nightmare. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alastair said:

Sorry no pic. Taste, pretty bland nothing special. Yes maybe it's just real dry, the extractors suggested that might be it.

I think they did a pretty good job, it was real thick, not gel that can be broken like manuka, but more toffee like.

If i get more next year I'll keep a sample and try to ID.

we have issues with a certain brand of extractor (and another brand probably has the same issue) where thick or slightly crystalline honey doesn't come out.

quite noticeable due to the pattern left on the frame.

the other issue is if they run them through to quick. sticky honeys take a lot longer. default settings on a certain brand is a really short run time and can have issues due to that.

• Good Info 1

On 27/03/2019 at 6:15 AM, Stoney said:

We have the stuff coming in thick and fast and are pumping syrup into them hard and fast to combat it, huge aphid colonies seen over a large area of our patch... anyone else fighting this right  now? 

Colonies are building up on it and have brood boxes and top feeders full of the stuff... likely related to the swarming we are experiencing in one area in pparticular..

Just fighting the honey dew here .😎