Jump to content
cBank

Argentine Ants

Recommended Posts

To separate the streams OA/GL and controlling Argentian ants.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/animal-pests/argentine-ants/

 

 

@Philbee Suggested an idea: 

“However here is an idea I would try.

In the old days I used a salt water solution in polymer water crystals as a conductive gel for heartrate monitor electrodes for horse Heartrate monitors
Instead of moats of plain drinking water Id start by seeing if the ants would cross a salt water moat of crystals which do dehydrate but not as quickly as water.

They are rehydrated by adding water

There may be all sorts of safe stuff that the crystals would hold and yet the stock wouldn't touch and that the ants wouldn’t like to cross.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok it looks like I am just farming standard ants.  They are heavy in numbers under the lid.  Going to have to nuke them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id start small and look at natural product that deter ants
Peppers may be one 

Then mix them with polymer crystals and water (crystal rain from the garden store)

It can also be purchased in bulk as drill rig operators use it to block crevices in porous rock so they dont lose their valuable mud

Of course it could be as simple as using plain water in devices that are topped up just like an inverted bird feeder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's wrong with the handfuls of grass under the lid that's mentioned all over the forum ?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What's wrong with the handfuls of grass under the lid that's mentioned all over the forum ?

Do Tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Do Tell

I just seem to recall sprinklings about handfuls of green grass under the lids being effective in discouraging ants.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I just seem to recall sprinklings about handfuls of green grass under the lids being effective in discouraging ants.....

and it works well. Needs replacing with fresh green each time the hive is visited. not 100% effective always, but much simpler and environmentally friendly if the infestation is just an annoyance.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mummzie said:

and it works well. Needs replacing with fresh green each time the hive is visited. not 100% effective always, but much simpler and environmentally friendly if the infestation is just an annoyance.

Has it been tried on Argentine Ants?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know what nationality our ants are.....they are small black and plentiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argentinian ants don't respond to grass under the lid, they are totally different to deal with. They are often spread by people shifting their pot plants with them, particularly those shifting into retirement villages - several of them have them around Auckland, and they have spread from the villages over a very short period of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive had Argentine ants around my hives for four years, But keep them under control when i see them around a hive.

as they don,t eat ordinary ant bait i mix my own recipe  and baiting procedure .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local councils should come and bait for argintines for you if you advise them. 

Firewood is also a way they spread. 

 

12 hours ago, flash4cash said:

Ok it looks like I am just farming standard ants.  They are heavy in numbers under the lid.  Going to have to nuke them. 

Cinnamon is also an ant deterrent 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, pl4 said:

Ive had Argentine ants around my hives for four years, But keep them under control when i see them around a hive.

as they don,t eat ordinary ant bait i mix my own recipe  and baiting procedure .

Would you like to share your procedure and recipe? 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you identify argentine ants ?

we have ants under our lids and usually eggs as well .

they are a browny colour rather then black 

when they are disturbed they can run up your arms and sometimes it feels like they are nipping at the skin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

How do you identify argentine ants ?

we have ants under our lids and usually eggs as well .

they are a browny colour rather then black 

when they are disturbed they can run up your arms and sometimes it feels like they are nipping at the skin.

Argentine ants are just like that.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

How do you identify argentine ants ?

we have ants under our lids and usually eggs as well .

they are a browny colour rather then black 

when they are disturbed they can run up your arms and sometimes it feels like they are nipping at the skin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=argentine+ants&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ759NZ759&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz9OnUj57hAhVQcCsKHbB9CKYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1460&bih=670

they are tiny.  Only 2mm long and brown.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2019 at 8:40 PM, yesbut said:

I just seem to recall sprinklings about handfuls of green grass under the lids being effective in discouraging ants.....

yes i do it, works most times, but needs to be fresh each time,

lemon barm dose not, work nor mint or dill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...