cBank

Argentine Ants

To separate the streams OA/GL and controlling Argentian ants.

https://www.doc.govt.nz/nature/pests-and-threats/animal-pests/argentine-ants/

@Philbee Suggested an idea: 

“However here is an idea I would try.

In the old days I used a salt water solution in polymer water crystals as a conductive gel for heartrate monitor electrodes for horse Heartrate monitors
Instead of moats of plain drinking water Id start by seeing if the ants would cross a salt water moat of crystals which do dehydrate but not as quickly as water.

They are rehydrated by adding water

There may be all sorts of safe stuff that the crystals would hold and yet the stock wouldn't touch and that the ants wouldn’t like to cross.”

Ok it looks like I am just farming standard ants.  They are heavy in numbers under the lid.  Going to have to nuke them. 

Id start small and look at natural product that deter ants
Peppers may be one 

Then mix them with polymer crystals and water (crystal rain from the garden store)

It can also be purchased in bulk as drill rig operators use it to block crevices in porous rock so they dont lose their valuable mud

Of course it could be as simple as using plain water in devices that are topped up just like an inverted bird feeder

What's wrong with the handfuls of grass under the lid that's mentioned all over the forum ?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What's wrong with the handfuls of grass under the lid that's mentioned all over the forum ?

Do Tell

4 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Do Tell

I just seem to recall sprinklings about handfuls of green grass under the lids being effective in discouraging ants.....

53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I just seem to recall sprinklings about handfuls of green grass under the lids being effective in discouraging ants.....

and it works well. Needs replacing with fresh green each time the hive is visited. not 100% effective always, but much simpler and environmentally friendly if the infestation is just an annoyance.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mummzie said:

and it works well. Needs replacing with fresh green each time the hive is visited. not 100% effective always, but much simpler and environmentally friendly if the infestation is just an annoyance.

Has it been tried on Argentine Ants?

Don't know what nationality our ants are.....they are small black and plentiful.

Argentinian ants don't respond to grass under the lid, they are totally different to deal with. They are often spread by people shifting their pot plants with them, particularly those shifting into retirement villages - several of them have them around Auckland, and they have spread from the villages over a very short period of time.

Ive had Argentine ants around my hives for four years, But keep them under control when i see them around a hive.

as they don,t eat ordinary ant bait i mix my own recipe  and baiting procedure .

Local councils should come and bait for argintines for you if you advise them. 

Firewood is also a way they spread. 

12 hours ago, flash4cash said:

Ok it looks like I am just farming standard ants.  They are heavy in numbers under the lid.  Going to have to nuke them. 

Cinnamon is also an ant deterrent 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, pl4 said:

Ive had Argentine ants around my hives for four years, But keep them under control when i see them around a hive.

as they don,t eat ordinary ant bait i mix my own recipe  and baiting procedure .

Would you like to share your procedure and recipe? 

• Agree 1

How do you identify argentine ants ?

we have ants under our lids and usually eggs as well .

they are a browny colour rather then black 

when they are disturbed they can run up your arms and sometimes it feels like they are nipping at the skin.

25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

when they are disturbed they can run up your arms and sometimes it feels like they are nipping at the skin.

Argentine ants are just like that.

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

https://www.google.com/search?q=argentine+ants&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ759NZ759&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz9OnUj57hAhVQcCsKHbB9CKYQ_AUIDigB&biw=1460&bih=670

they are tiny.  Only 2mm long and brown.

On 25/03/2019 at 8:40 PM, yesbut said:

yes i do it, works most times, but needs to be fresh each time,

lemon barm dose not, work nor mint or dill