Mummzie

Support for the AFB levy increases

After the vigorous debate over the honey levy, I am puzzled by the lack of response to the proposed AFB levy increases, especially when I see the increases the larger hive holders will pay.

Does that mean all beekeepers agree with the increase? Is there only one side to this story?

I completed the survey and added some points that I thought were important if they wanted to encourage a YES vote from me , which I will vote for, if the challenge of implementing what I believe is to be important is acheived. 

These points broadly are ...

Test all honey for AFB

Make it mandatory to produce a licence to buy gear. Too many hobboest hives never get registered, managed or checked if you can just walk in, buy gear and house a swarm, let alone the free and largely unpoliced trading of bees and gear.

0800 number to be established for help to surrender hives if they can no longer be managed for whatever reason .

I'm ever optimistic since an opinion was asked for ......

5 hours ago, Mummzie said:

After the vigorous debate over the honey levy, I am puzzled by the lack of response to the proposed AFB levy increases, especially when I see the increases the larger hive holders will pay.

Does that mean all beekeepers agree with the increase? Is there only one side to this story?

No.  This is a completely different beast.  We had a chance of voting on the Commodity Levy and both sides of the debate were putting as much light on the process as was possible to get as many as possible to vote and to vote either Yes or No.  As that turnout was approximately 60% plus, we have to say that the campaign was fairly successful.

This AFB levy is in a different boat.  We do not get to vote on it. Rather the AFBPMP just have to show the Minister of Agriculture (Damien O'Connor) that they have consulted on the changes.

They have given us around 20 days to put in submissions and that is all we can do.

2 minutes ago, M4tt said:

I completed the survey and added some points that I thought were important if they wanted to encourage a YES vote from me , which I will vote for, if the challenge of implementing what I believe is to be important is acheived. 

Unfortunately, @M4tt you will not get a vote.  This is a straight submission to the Minister.  Democracy at work (Yeah, Right)

2 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Unfortunately, @M4tt you will not get a vote.  This is a straight submission to the Minister.  Democracy at work (Yeah, Right)

Oh 😳

My mistake 

• Haha 2

@Mummzieit is fairer to pay by the number of the hives since there are many bkpers around the country who have 1-2 hives usually in many backyards. To pay by the number of apiaries it will make managing those hives un-efficient.

I would not worry about those who have 5000+ hives and have to pay big $$$. They have where to pay it from.

There are lots of things on my AFB WishList. Local purpose-built incinerators for AFB would be a good start especially with the proliferation of plastic frames.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, john berry said:

There are lots of things on my AFB WishList. Local purpose-built incinerators for AFB would be a good start especially with the proliferation of plastic frames.

What a good suggestion. Coupled with the fact that many check for AFB soon before honey comes off (fire season), there are many benefits. I wonder if making it easier to burn them would increase compliance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I would not worry about those who have 5000+ hives and have to pay big $$$. They have where to pay it from.

Really.....? 

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

They have given us around 20 days to put in submissions and that is all we can do.

well hopefully there is a good submission level of constructive and supportive ideas