tommy dave

Bacilius thuringiensis on frames for wax moth control?

I've read of a few people spraying drawn out frames with Bacilius thuringiensis treatments (e.g. https://www.kiwicare.co.nz/product/organic-caterpillar-bio-control/) prior to and during storage as a measure against wax moth. Anyone know much about legality of this, or whether it's appropriate to subsequently use these frames in honey supers?

I would certainly not spray my frames with an insecticide.  Legal or not, it does not sound like a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Certan, approved in many contries, is Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai,  This one mentioned here  is Bacillus thuringiensis kurstaki which is the wrong one.

This has been discussed a lot in the past and is not approved in NZ for wax moth.

Look back to find the details.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, tudor said:

Look back to find the details.

i searched using 'bacilius', will have another go. Cheers :)

and result, = found some threads, turns out spelling matters

Edited by tommy dave

Hi use "thuringiensis" and the whole issue is found.

8 hours ago, dansar said:

Did some research 

if if you are an certified organic beekeeper you can use it 

https://www.asurequality.com/assets/Organic-Files/organics-standard-2015-FULL-V6-Feb16.pdf

Well, well, if OK for organic use then it must be OK for general use ?

Used it in the past while beekeeping in europe (called "B401", works like a charm.) protects frames for 8 months against any wax moth. Harmless for bees and humans (better do some research trev before you claim such things).

Anyway stopped using it because i couldnt be bothered spraying it. Bees handle wax moths very well and honey frames which never had brood in them tend to not get infested.

If you want to store empty brood frames outside the hives it might be a solution.

definately better than mothballs or other chemical crap.

28 minutes ago, Christi An said:

(better do some research trev before you claim such things).

Maybe you should read what I wrote.  Not what you think I said.

maybe if ecrotek was selling a product with BT in it you'd write differently 😉

• Disagree 4

59 minutes ago, Christi An said:

I find that extremely offensive.  I expect a retraction to that.

3 hours ago, tudor said:

Hi use "thuringiensis" and the whole issue is found.

Well, well, if OK for organic use then it must be OK for general use ?

Possibly. 

I didn’t have time to do any further online research. I suppose an easy way would be to email Assurequality and get their advise.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Christi An said:

i suspect that if any beekeeping supplier was selling this product then they would be selling it for the expressly stated purpose of treating against wax moth in stored frames, and i would be comfortable that they wouldn't risk their livelihood by doing so illegally.

My query wasn't so much about safety or even efficacy, but rather about the legality of use of the product for this purpose in NZ.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 21/03/2019 at 9:59 PM, dansar said:

Did some research 

if if you are an certified organic beekeeper you can use it 

Ok so this is for use on hive equipment for pest control and disinfecting. Is there anything to say that honey should be removed prior to treatment like there is with other products?

On 21/03/2019 at 7:32 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I would certainly not spray my frames with an insecticide.  Legal or not, it does not sound like a good idea.

On 22/03/2019 at 9:07 AM, Christi An said:

How on earth do you get to that conclusion? Not a fair statement at all.

Posted (edited)

@Grant someone else is Researching that answer. I’ll advise soon as I know.

Edited by dansar
  • Like 2

On 22/03/2019 at 10:51 AM, dansar said:

I suppose an easy way would be to email Assurequality and get their advise.

Is it possible to explain why Assurequality would be be the entity that says yes or no on such a matter? Do they have a budget for spending time on any question that anyone might put to them? Who pays for that? Is this a matter were MPI on behalf of government ministers make/interpret the law, but similar to the NAFBPMP it is/was subcontracted out to AQ to make it happen? 

I'm not being critical or anything, I just don't understand how the system works.

Is it because all the AP1 are full time employees of AQ, so there is nobody else outside of AQ left to ask?

It does seem there many threads on the forum where some action or other is in a grey area; not specifically approved and not specifically prohibited.

I would think it is an MPI matter as they used to control the registration of all animal remedies, and it used to take longer to get products registered for vets to use/supply than pharmaceuticals for humans. 

1 hour ago, Sailabee said:

I would think it is an MPI matter as they used to control the registration of all animal remedies, and it used to take longer to get products registered for vets to use/supply than pharmaceuticals for humans. 

Possibly

All I know is it is mentioned in the document produced and audited by Assure Quality.

https://www.asurequality.com/assets/Organic-Files/organics-standard-2015-FULL-V6-Feb16.pdf

• Thanks 1

Think of AsureQuality as MPIs/govt auditing department, separate and have to charge to support them selves.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1