Rookie

Honey storage

Hi there,

When it comes to storing honey for potentially long periods of time in 300kg drums.

Is room temperature generally ok? Or if you have the option, would it be better stored in temperature controlled rooms?

thanks

Depends what you are storing. If you are trying to ripen Manuka, then you need to keep it warm, but not overheat or the HMF gets fiddled with. If you just can't sell it and are storing it ..... anything goes.   We have honey sitting in the shed here that has gone through the winter with a temperature range from  -10c in July  to  a January high  of +38c. Still tastes OK.

As an aside, I sat on the phone today trying to sell honey. One has to go through the motions I suppose.  What a joke.  Most replies were along the lines of .... "we are pretty good  thanks ...... we bought   ten tonnes of clover  last week.... "

We packed a tonne last week for our end of the road  shop ...... OMG. 

Surely this is an opportunity ....... awash with honey and the big players don't seem to be trying to swell their bottom lines.  

I guess they are'nt hungry ... yet.

• Thanks 1

The amount of HMF increases with time and temperature so if you want to keep it a LONG time, then cool will be better.

There is a maximum limit for HMF in the UK, but it's not easy to measure it.

Or is there?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AdamD said:

The amount of HMF increases with time and temperature so if you want to keep it a LONG time, then cool will be better.

There is a maximum limit for HMF in the UK, but it's not easy to measure it.

Or is there?

Yep. Just send a new sample for testing. 

Is there a way someone could do it themselves or does "sending it away" mean that they use loads of clever (expensive) stuff to do the job?

I’m sure the test process will be in the notes on the lab report but I’m not clever enough to understand what most of the words even mean. 

There is also a predictive  test that can give you an idea of what the mgo, dha and umf will do over several time frames with different storage heats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamD said:

Is there a way someone could do it themselves or does "sending it away" mean that they use loads of clever (expensive) stuff to do the job?

In NZ, there only a couple of labs with the right registration to test honey, and they are geared up to do large numbers of samples accurately and quickly. Highly mechanised gear worth millions - no juggling test tubes and beakers etc.

3 hours ago, AdamD said:

Send it to an accredited lab for a 3-in-1 test and you'll get the HMF concentration as part of the suite. Usually about $40 per sample. There isn't a simple or reliable way you can measure it at home, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 21/03/2019 at 11:17 PM, Jacob said:

Send it to an accredited lab for a 3-in-1 test and you'll get the HMF concentration as part of the suite. Usually about $40 per sample. There isn't a simple or reliable way you can measure it at home, unfortunately.

Now there's a challenge for someone to develop a home test kit!

Unfortunately if I tried to send honey to NZ for testing I would probably be flogged!

Edited by AdamD

34 minutes ago, AdamD said:

Unfortunately if I tried to send honey to NZ for testing I would probably be flogged!

We had a talk from Analytica Laboratories at Bee Club last week.

Kate told us that Analytica test honey from overseas all the time.  There are a lot of regulations around the handling and permits for those samples.

It is possible to test them in NZ Labs.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Kate told us that Analytica test honey from overseas all the time. 

Why ?

49 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Why ?

Knowing the Aussies, they would then say 'tested by Analytica NZ' without saying whether it passed or not.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Why ?

A lot of our international testing is for things that are issues internationally and not just in NZ. Specifically things like C4 Sugars and HMF that are export requirements for many countries. As we run these tests in high volumes, our tests are generally quicker and cheaper than overseas labs so the cost of freight and getting a sample halfway around the world is more cost and time efficient. We do get plenty of requests to test foreign honeys for 3in1 but unless the nectar source is a Leptospermum, the test results are always a non-detect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

2 hours ago, Kate R said:

A lot of our international testing is for things that are issues internationally and not just in NZ. Specifically things like C4 Sugars and HMF that are export requirements for many countries. As we run these tests in high volumes, our tests are generally quicker and cheaper than overseas labs so the cost of freight and getting a sample halfway around the world is more cost and time efficient. We do get plenty of requests to test foreign honeys for 3in1 but unless the nectar source is a Leptospermum, the test results are always a non-detect. 

Thanks @Kate R Explained so much better than I could.

Great talk last Thursday.  I learnt a lot.

• Thanks 1