oxalic acid- glycerine question

I used Randy Olivers method (paper towels in my hives with oxalic acid-glycerine-small amount of water mixture). Two half towels laying flat on top of the frames. The results are not that good. Bees only pulverize the towel that is between two frames, the towel touching the frame they just leave (80% of the towel surface). I see people are using staples. I would appreciate if a beek can explain what they do to make it work and if it works. Or know a site where I can find some information. Do they chew these staples?  What is the mixture, the same as with the paper towels? Many thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone   I am a Male father of 3, Geographer, Master in engeneering that as a good renegade became beekeeper in 2003 because of fighting corruption I lost my job and probably will ne

Thanks for your information and introduction.  You have helped do fantastic things for the beekeeping world.

The oxalic/gly is transferred to the bees by contact - so that is all that is needed - the chewing etc is a bonus. I don't think mite drop is a good way to assess your pre-treatment levels and po

45 minutes ago, ctm said:

I would appreciate if a beek can explain what they do to make it work and if it works. Or know a site where I can find some information. Do they chew these staples?  What is the mixture, the same as with the paper towels? Many thanks.

Hi there, try reading through the Oxalic and Glycerine Topic.  Plenty to read and discover. 

59 minutes ago, ctm said:

I used Randy Olivers method (paper towels in my hives with oxalic acid-glycerine-small amount of water mixture). Two half towels laying flat on top of the frames. The results are not that good. Bees only pulverize the towel that is between two frames, the towel touching the frame they just leave (80% of the towel surface). I see people are using staples. I would appreciate if a beek can explain what they do to make it work and if it works. Or know a site where I can find some information. Do they chew these staples?  What is the mixture, the same as with the paper towels? Many thanks.

Do you mean the results aren't good because the towels get pulverised?

Because that is not necessarily bad, the oxalic gets spread around that way.

Did you do any sugar shakes or alc wash?

Re cardboard or staples they also get removed, some powerful hives do it quickly and others

just nibble away at them or ignore them.

Oxalic thread has all the info you need.

2 hours ago, CraBee said:

Do you mean the results aren't good because the towels get pulverised?

Because that is not necessarily bad, the oxalic gets spread around that way.

Did you do any sugar shakes or alc wash?

Re cardboard or staples they also get removed, some powerful hives do it quickly and others

just nibble away at them or ignore them.

Oxalic thread has all the info you need.

Yes, I know they need to nibble the towel to be effective. After 3 weeks, only the gaps between the frames were removed. Mitefall was not convincing. My hive had a mite fall of 12 before the treatment assuming there are at least 1200 mites in there. Not many fell out over a period of three weeks. Because they probably only cleared passageways. I followed Randy Olivers method to the letter, so I was wondering if it is always successful or depending on other parameters. Some hives might ignore them you say. I wondered if staples are preferred over paper towels.  I will have a look at the oxalic thread. I have been through the 100 page oxalic glycerine thread that gave me the feeling all was still in the trial stage, were foam and even synthetic kitchen towels were considered.

5 minutes ago, ctm said:

Yes, I know they need to nibble the towel to be effective. After 3 weeks, only the gaps between the frames were removed. Mitefall was not convincing. My hive had a mite fall of 12 before the treatment assuming there are at least 1200 mites in there. Not many fell out over a period of three weeks. Because they probably only cleared passageways. I followed Randy Olivers method to the letter, so I was wondering if it is always successful or depending on other parameters. Some hives might ignore them you say. I wondered if staples are preferred over paper towels.  I will have a look at the oxalic thread. I have been through the 100 page oxalic glycerine thread that gave me the feeling all was still in the trial stage, were foam and even synthetic kitchen towels were considered.

The oxalic/gly is transferred to the bees by contact - so that is all that is needed - the chewing etc is a bonus.

I don't think mite drop is a good way to assess your pre-treatment levels and post treatment levels.  The reason being if you didn't have many mites to begin with you wont get a big drop.....

If the towels you used were between two boxes  at least one of which had brood in it and both with good bee numbers the bees passing up and down should make contact with the towels.

Ox/Gly undoubtedly works, it is more or less what I've used for two years now.  IMO the treatment between the frames is much better.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

The line of thinking is that the material that is carrying the OA/ glycerine needs to be positioned in the hive where the maximum amount of bee traffic will pass over it , as it is a contact treatment. I’d even go as far to say that if it’s somewhere offensive to the bees, they will remove it , providing excellent contact .

With that in mind, the ideal spot would be down between the frames where bees are most active. The way I see it , is bees don’t travel over the tops of frames anywhere near enough, and especially not if there is a towel or something in the way. 

• Like 3

@ctm the thread is here and should be considered required reading for many reasons.

I attempted to summarise it here, as it’s a little hard to follow when you are starting out and want something concise to follow (though the summary many soon need a summary).

There are a couple of other great threads about it too - for example the one on legalities and relevant NZ legislation (linked to in summary).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, cBank said:

@ctm the thread is here and should be considered required reading for many reasons.

I attempted to summarise it here, as it’s a little hard to follow when you are starting out and want something concise to follow (though the summary many soon need a summary).

There are a couple of other great threads about it too - for example the one on legalities and relevant NZ legislation (linked to in summary).

Cbank, many thanks for this summery about staples, awesome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2016/01/monoxalato-como-control-de-varroa.html

http://apiaraucania.blogspot.com/2018/05/metodo-don-c.html

if you which more info do not hesitate in contact me

<contact details removed>

I use it since 2014 at Chile and 2015 at Perú with excellent results ...

Do not like the long turn that Randy did starting from me and Fernando's strip proposal

the towel do not work and won't work better than strips

btw I manage 4000 hives at Chile and close to 9000 hives at Perú

Edited by dansar
  • Thanks 2
  • Good Info 1
  • 3 months later...
On 20/03/2019 at 8:52 PM, cBank said:

you are a bloody champ my head was spinning sifting through those posts.

Thank you very much!

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Mitch, I’ll do another update soon I think, but stuff has slowed right down here with winter. The thread is the key, but the versions are dated so that you can tell what isn’t included from the thread (ie newer stuff). Spring is going to be busy in the Oa staple world I suspect.

• Like 1

Very good I am glad I found it as had already bought the cloths, struggling with a concussion so the summary is the key for my poked brain.

Will now go and get some jib tape.  The cotact with the fuller from chile is fantastic stright from the source.