Jump to content
Trevor Gillbanks

Breach of Privacy

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Some people seem to be missing the point.

Yes I understand that I (many of us do) made myself available for COI duties.  I happened to spend a bit of time talking to this lady and then happened to ask how she got my details.

When I was told it was via DECA I admit I hit the panic/blame button.

 

I now see it is nothing more than someone harvesting a file off the internet.  I am fine with that.

 

I thank @AFB PMP Management Agency for there very quick response to my thread and their offer of assistance.

 

I am sure there is almost no way that we can keep our information personal.

 

@Mummzie yes I understand about the whitepages, but no one harvests that information as it does not contain very many cell phone numbers and who get snail mail nowadays.

 

 

I think the worse thing Trevor is DeeGeeBee's reference to the scam operating detailed in the letter from the Dow Jones and the phone calls attempting to harvest financial information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another rule of thumb
If the call is from a suspect looking number I answer it but dont say my name.

Just a very gruff "Yes" or even silence

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Philbee said:

My rule of thumb for phone calls

If its a private number dont answer

yeah I used to think that... but nowadays a lot of govt depts also have unlisted numbers. I missed a call once, thought nothing of it until a few days later when i got an email from the CDHB, one i was expecting sometime in a few weeks, saying they couldnt get hold of me... grrrr they never left a message on the missed call so i couldnt return it anyway!

so yeah i answer the same as philbee now, a 'hello' and thats all

Edited by Rashika

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Mummzie said:

but @Trevor Gillbanks- your cell Phone is also listed in your contact detail on this site which is public- and I  suspect I have your address easily from White pages.

The Deca list is probably only one of several ways your number is public. The list being used for purposes it wasn't intended for is a downside to the goodwill of being a COI .

To keep your info private takes considerable effort- we all let little bits of information about ourselves slip into these posts and would likely be shocked how much a hacker could obtain from just this site.

 

I’m tall, blond, attractive and not very hairy. (Moderator has removed number)

nothing to hide...

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not get the email from Beekeepers Against  Apitax and  my details are private in the MPI Listed Beekeeper Site so I would suggest someone is still harvesting info from there 

Edited by M4tt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CHCHPaul said:

 

I’m tall, blond, attractive and not very hairy. Here’s my number 

nothing to hide...

Sorry CHCHPaul, but I just had a quick look at your profile, your real phone number's on it - let's hope there's no single hackers out there looking for a date with you. 🤣

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in my other life i work in ICT. If i came up with a solution that presented a huge bunch of names, phone numbers and emails rather than just relevant results, security would quite literally hand me my own a$$.

 

off the top of my head one option would be to get the user to enter their postcode and hit search, then the system returns only the people nearby. that would prevent easy data harvesting.... unless they want to sit there tediously entering in postcodes one by one all day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lexy said:

in my other life i work in ICT. If i came up with a solution that presented a huge bunch of names, phone numbers and emails rather than just relevant results, security would quite literally hand me my own a$$.

 

off the top of my head one option would be to get the user to enter their postcode and hit search, then the system returns only the people nearby. that would prevent easy data harvesting.... unless they want to sit there tediously entering in postcodes one by one all day 

budget? given that being on the COI list is opt-in, i'm glad that not much money is being spent on developing and testing such functionality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

budget? given that being on the COI list is opt-in, i'm glad that not much money is being spent on developing and testing such functionality

opt-in shouldn't mean increasing your risk of identity theft, spam mail, calls and scams. as for budget, i wouldnt want to hazard a guess not knowing anything about their site... but certainly a lot less than someones life savings😁  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Rashika said:

yeah I used to think that... but nowadays a lot of govt depts also have unlisted numbers. I missed a call once, thought nothing of it until a few days later when i got an email from the CDHB, one i was expecting sometime in a few weeks, saying they couldnt get hold of me... grrrr they never left a message on the missed call so i couldnt return it anyway!

so yeah i answer the same as philbee now, a 'hello' and thats all

This is hard. I have encountered situations in healthcare where family members don’t know about another family member’s illness. Leaving an answer phone message risks breaching the patient’s privacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cBank said:

This is hard. I have encountered situations in healthcare where family members don’t know about another family member’s illness. Leaving an answer phone message risks breaching the patient’s privacy. 

yup it could i guess... though they could just have said who was calling or just left a phone number to call back... they had my phone number as the contact, but I had no idea who rang me.

In the end it was a posted letter (I forgot it wasnt actually an email) that alerted me to the original call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Rashika said:

yup it could i guess... though they could just have said who was calling or just left a phone number to call back... they had my phone number as the contact, but I had no idea who rang me.

In the end it was a posted letter (I forgot it wasnt actually an email) that alerted me to the original call.

Do you remember life before all this privacy stuff .

I do .

Things seemed more efficient and much less time wasted .

A whole layer of jobs has been created to facilitate it .

 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Do you remember life before all this privacy stuff .

I do .

Things seemed more efficient and much less time wasted .

A whole layer of jobs has been created to facilitate it .

 

 

It does create a lot of jobs but many things are now done a lot better. Healthcare has a fairly dark past in regards to consent and privacy. I don’t think you can be too careful with data that isn’t yours.

 

Everything used to be in a file somewhere, with physical access required to see it, pages going missing, or long waits for results. Now files can be accessed from anywhere, anytime. This makes things vastly quicker and mostly better, but makes breaches easier and more costly too.

 

People are needed to manage the risks but I’d be pretty sure that more jobs have been lost as a result of the automation and better systems than jobs made.

 

As a student I worked in one of the many radiology film libraries in Auckland. It had full time staff and a floor area that was hundreds of square metres. Staff were employed to sort films and deliver them, 10s of Kgs of film at a time.

 

A library with vastly more data is now held by a series of machines that would fit in your cupboard and is accessible around the country near instantly. It is many orders of magnitude faster, it has images that are higher quality and it is backed up and it is excellent. We have come a very long way in a relatively short time.

 

The system is far from perfect, but I’d prefer the healthcare and privacy available now than than that available in any past era.

 

I think you got me started. Next edition will feature my ad blocker, pi-hole and VPN.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run on a Raspberry Pi computer ($65) and blocks advert and tracking, sending them down a hole. Pi-hole! Below is the current status - 16% of all traffic right now is blocked. I miss none of it.

 

 

47AD6181-E200-4230-8F59-DB4C88DFF720.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@cBank since you know about these things .

My husband fiddled with the settings on our web cam and turned it into a brick.

I have to reflash the firm ware with TFTP.

It does my head in , I need moral support .😨

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kaihoka said:

@cBank since you know about these things .

My husband fiddled with the settings on our web cam and turned it into a brick.

I have to reflash the firm ware with TFTP.

It does my head in , I need moral support .😨

I would need a translater to even try and grasp what your doing Kaihoka.

  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kaihoka don’t be fooled - I have a very limited skill set that renders me useless unless their is an MRI scanner nearby and an image archive server of a specific brand.

 

Flashing hardware is not good, good luck!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cBank said:

@kaihoka don’t be fooled - I have a very limited skill set that renders me useless unless their is an MRI scanner nearby and an image archive server of a specific brand.

 

Flashing hardware is not good, good luck!

I will try and find a Russian video .

If you ever need a video on how to fix tech ,or anything ,they are the best.

Even if its all in Russian they are still great .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AFB PMP Management Agency said:

The Management Agency has taken the DECA Inspector list down from the website.

 

In future this list will only be available on the website from August to November to assist non-DECA holders to contact a DECA holder to arrange for their hives to receive a Certificate of Inspection.

Thank you very much. 

This is an exceptional response. However, I do ask, as there are a lot of non DECA holders out there, and they get their COI sent to them via snail mail, and the list of Inspectors is sent to them at the same time, Why does the list need to be on the web site at all.

 

Thanks again for your positive response.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I was working in the shed this afternoon and I got a phone call (on my cell phone) from a woman in New York on behalf of the Wall Street Journal.

She was doing a survey about investments and finance and we had quite a nice chat.  She was very pleasant.

After about 5 min and at the conclusion of our discussion I asked her, Did she know where I lived.  She said yes, New Zealand.  

Oh! I said.  How did you get my Cell Phone number.  She told me that it was from DECA.   

I said who?  I have never heard of a company DECA.  She said No.  Your DECA (she spelt it out). Disease Elimination Conformity Agreement and because of my submissions on the recent AFB Levy.

 

My question is.  

Who sold my information to America (and where else).  Was it the AFBPMP or ApiNZ or the people running Survey Monkey or something else.

 

My information via my DECA is between myself and AFBPMP.  I am extremely upset that this information has been released or sold or stolen.

 

My information to any agency is for their benefit as per the reason it was collected.  I certainly did not give my information about my DECA other than to the AFBPMP.

 

How has my information been released.

I also got that phone call from a women in New York on behalf of the wall st journal but as I dislike those type of calls I made a rude remark and she replied with a rude remark and hung up.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2019 at 12:35 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

and they get their COI sent to them via snail mail,

wouldn't be surprised if people moving houses don't consider updating their address details everywhere. Guessing they get an email as well though? if so, the list could be attached rather than linked?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...