I was working in the shed this afternoon and I got a phone call (on my cell phone) from a woman in New York on behalf of the Wall Street Journal.

She was doing a survey about investments and finance and we had quite a nice chat.  She was very pleasant.

After about 5 min and at the conclusion of our discussion I asked her, Did she know where I lived.  She said yes, New Zealand.  

Oh! I said.  How did you get my Cell Phone number.  She told me that it was from DECA.   

I said who?  I have never heard of a company DECA.  She said No.  Your DECA (she spelt it out). Disease Elimination Conformity Agreement and because of my submissions on the recent AFB Levy.

My question is.  

Who sold my information to America (and where else).  Was it the AFBPMP or ApiNZ or the people running Survey Monkey or something else.

My information via my DECA is between myself and AFBPMP.  I am extremely upset that this information has been released or sold or stolen.

My information to any agency is for their benefit as per the reason it was collected.  I certainly did not give my information about my DECA other than to the AFBPMP.

How has my information been released.

• Agree 5

I think submissions are public domain aren’t they ?? 

i had a miss call from New York at 2:16 pm to I wonder if it was that some people 

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I was working in the shed this afternoon and I got a phone call (on my cell phone) from a woman in New York on behalf of the Wall Street Journal.

She was doing a survey about investments and finance and we had quite a nice chat.  She was very pleasant.

After about 5 min and at the conclusion of our discussion I asked her, Did she know where I lived.  She said yes, New Zealand.  

Oh! I said.  How did you get my Cell Phone number.  She told me that it was from DECA.   

I said who?  I have never heard of a company DECA.  She said No.  Your DECA (she spelt it out). Disease Elimination Conformity Agreement and because of my submissions on the recent AFB Levy.

My question is.  

Who sold my information to America (and where else).  Was it the AFBPMP or ApiNZ or the people running Survey Monkey or something else.

My information via my DECA is between myself and AFBPMP.  I am extremely upset that this information has been released or sold or stolen.

My information to any agency is for their benefit as per the reason it was collected.  I certainly did not give my information about my DECA other than to the AFBPMP.

How has my information been released.

Trevor,

The Management Agency takes its responsibility for protecting the privacy of beekeepers information very seriously.

If you could please supply the Management Agency with the name of the lady from Wall Street Journal concerned, her phone number, the mobile number she called you on, and the Management Agency will investigate.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Probably because you agreed to be listed publicly as an AFB inspector for COI's I would imagine.  The data would be collected by web scraping applications.

image.thumb.png.111f95dea68d9491609f760f3abcb9cc.png

You're on there too @Chris Valentine

4 minutes ago, AFB PMP Management Agency said:

Trevor,

The Management Agency takes its responsibility for protecting the privacy of beekeepers information very seriously.

If you could please supply the Management Agency with the name of the lady from Wall Street Journal concerned, her phone number, the mobile number she called you on, and the Management Agency will investigate.

Ha ha ha.  You publish it yourselves on the website!

https://afb.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/I-Latest-2018-Inspector-List-for-COI.pdf

Edited by DeeGeeBee

13 minutes ago, DeeGeeBee said:

Probably because you agreed to be listed publicly as an AFB inspector for COI's I would imagine.  The data would be collected by web scraping applications.

image.thumb.png.111f95dea68d9491609f760f3abcb9cc.png

You're on there too @Chris Valentine

Ha ha ha.  You publish it yourselves on the website!

https://afb.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/I-Latest-2018-Inspector-List-for-COI.pdf

You could be correct.  Oh Bother.  

No point shaking this duck any further.  

• Like 1

There is no way this should be public knowlege.Why do we pay fees for,so our private information can be given out.I hope the agency corrects this.

44 minutes ago, AFB PMP Management Agency said:

Trevor,

Looks like I leg tripped myself.

Sorry  about the angst caused.

I got a call from same people about 30 mins ago.

Sorry not interested. I’ve had calls from them in the past.

I'm sure that she was very nice @Trevor Gillbanks, but I very much doubt that she was working on behalf of the WSJ, or even in NY.

https://sts3.wsj.net/commerce/Production/Resources/docs/CustomerCenterLetter.pdf

Does seem like they are working that way through the afb list though, so forewarned is forearmed.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Chris Valentine said:

i had a miss call from New York at 2:16 pm to I wonder if it was that some people 

I know of another beekeeper who also missed a call from New York in the past day or two.

bit of a coincidence......or not

Edited by frazzledfozzle

Posted (edited)

Edited by tommy dave
not worth posting, already covered in thread that this appears a non-issue

And here was me thinking @Trevor Gillbanks may be on the front of the next Wall Street Journal, - really gutted - I almost knew someone famous in the finance field.

• Haha 4

i

I had the same call as Trevor and was not sure if it was a cold call con or what.

They had my email address & mobile.

Now know relates to my Decca registration.

Thanks Trevor.

37 minutes ago, Joe B said:

i

I had the same call as Trevor and was not sure if it was a cold call con or what.

They had my email address & mobile.

Now know relates to my Decca registration.

Thanks Trevor.

Cheers.  I am glad I spoke with them.

I now need to think as to whether I want to be on the DECA/COI list.

2 hours ago, tommy dave said:

not worth posting, already covered in thread that this appears a non-issue

Funny.  You appear to be the only one who knows this information.

Posted (edited)

but @Trevor Gillbanks- your cell Phone is also listed in your contact detail on this site which is public- and I  suspect I have your address easily from White pages.

The Deca list is probably only one of several ways your number is public. The list being used for purposes it wasn't intended for is a downside to the goodwill of being a COI .

To keep your info private takes considerable effort- we all let little bits of information about ourselves slip into these posts and would likely be shocked how much a hacker could obtain from just this site.

Edited by Mummzie
  • Like 1

I agree with the above and often see numbers published here. 

However, it’s one thing to leak your own data or publish it. Leaking someone else’s data or publishing it without permission is a whole lot worse.

• Agree 1

got one of those calls myself, don't know anyone in New York , so didn't answer it

Same here , just assumed it was a phone scam like numbers originating from Europe 

10 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Funny.  You appear to be the only one who knows this information.

i thought posts above had figured out that it's due to people voluntarily asking that their contact details be made public on the list of people willing to be contacted to carry out COI work?

Posted (edited)

Some people seem to be missing the point.

Yes I understand that I (many of us do) made myself available for COI duties.  I happened to spend a bit of time talking to this lady and then happened to ask how she got my details.

When I was told it was via DECA I admit I hit the panic/blame button.

I now see it is nothing more than someone harvesting a file off the internet.  I am fine with that.

I thank @AFB PMP Management Agency for there very quick response to my thread and their offer of assistance.

I am sure there is almost no way that we can keep our information personal.

@Mummzie yes I understand about the whitepages, but no one harvests that information as it does not contain very many cell phone numbers and who get snail mail nowadays.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Very much like the MPI beekeeper list when they made all our info public and we got inundated with spam emails :( 

• Agree 1

My rule of thumb for phone calls

If its a private number dont answer

52 minutes ago, Philbee said:

My rule of thumb for phone calls

If its a private number dont answer

I used to think the same way, until I started getting very much inundated with cold callers - now my number's unlisted.

• Haha 1

I do not like cold calling phone calls from folk I have no connection to. So I feel exactly like Trevor - my privacy has been invaded.

This also happens with some privacy invaded emails I get more of today.

Today I recieved two emails from beekeepersagainstapitax@gmail.com   

The email is not signed by any individual, probably sent by a gutless shame faced individual who will not stand up. But is prepared to criticise those who have stood up and worked for this cause for sometime.

What I liked was the postal address given - 

Beekeepers Against Api Tax

The Queen Bee

The Beehive

Wellington, Wellington 6011

New Zealand

I think emails like this are also an invasion of privacy.

Why did they put New Zealand on the address - there must be a lot of AFB levy payers from overseas I can conclude.

• Like 1