Maja

Electric honey extractor- recommendation please

Hi All,

I am a hobbist with few hives .

After few years of banning my Hubbie for a weekend, making huge mess in the laundry/kitchen room and staying up until the early morning hours  I am ready to bite a bullet and get an electric honey extractor.

Anyone has a recommendations on types of extractors that are worth  investing in?

There are some new electric extractors for sale on TM from Southland -from caitlins honey . Anyone bought them?

Appreciate the advice 😀

Yes, I have one of the Southland ones - four frame job, about three years old. I do not have a need to extract manuka, and only six hives, and have found it good for my needs. 

• Good Info 1

Hi Maja,

We have two hobbyist-sized electric extractors - one is the 5-frame Tangential Bottom Drive, and the other is the 6-frame Reversible Tang. Bottom Drive.  I'll pop the links to these below - the 5-frame extractor is currently on special too!

5-frame: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/lega-5-frame-tangential-bottom-drive-extractor

6-frame: https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/6-fr-lega-rev-elec-tang-btm-drv-extr

^Willow

• Thanks 1

I'd like to know how using an extractor is going to create less mess !

I didn't think I needed an electric job til helping injured friend, and there is nothing like the happy hum of an electric extractor.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I bought the https://www.ecrotek.co.nz/product/6-fr-lega-rev-elec-tang-btm-drv-extr  6 frame auto/manual unit.

I have just completed videoing it yesterday.  Well worth even $$$.  I managed 24 boxes on my own in one day.

Great buy.

surprised thats has a 24v motor. 

not sure how easy it would be to find another controller/converter. 

at least with 240v vfd/vsd are very common and easy to find. probably less than $500.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, tristan said:

surprised thats has a 24v motor. 

not sure how easy it would be to find another controller/converter. 

at least with 240v vfd/vsd are very common and easy to find. probably less than $500.

Not sure about the 24 v thingy. 

It must have some sort of converter in the unit.  It certainly runs on 230v

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Posted (edited)

I think it was discussed before however I can not remember the difference between bottom driven and top driven extractors - @tristan may have some good experience with them.

Can someone give a feedback on the Lega radial 16 frames extractor? Thanks.

PS - interesting that the Lega 12 frames radial is bottom driven extractor and $1000 more expensive than the Lega 16 frames radial top driven extractor.

Are the bottom driven ones more stable? Can you operate them on a higher speed and get a better productivity?

Edited by Kiwi Bee
to add more info

19 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

I think it was discussed before however I can not remember the difference between bottom driven and top driven extractors - @tristan may have some good experience with them.

Can someone give a feedback on the Lega radial 16 frames extractor? Thanks.

PS - interesting that the Lega 12 frames radial is bottom driven extractor and $1000 more expensive than the Lega 16 frames radial top driven extractor.

Are the bottom driven ones more stable? Can you operate them on a higher speed and get a better productivity?

bottom vers top driven extractors. i can't say a lot with hobbyist extractors because they are small enough that they can be done a bit different to commercial extractors.

a hobby extractor may have a small enough motor and gearbox that it can be placed underneath easy enough. commercial ones the motor get placed on the side and use pulleys underneath. there is an advantage having weight down low, makes them a bit more stable.

with a small motor i'm not sure on how much advantage that would be.

the advantage with top mount on commercial extractors is that you can use "industrial lego" motors and gearboxes. simple off the shelf parts. plus they are rather wide machines and strong. you don't have the vibration issues of lighter machines.

19 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Can you operate them on a higher speed and get a better productivity?

no.

all extra speed does is rips frames apart. this is why good machines will run slow at the start, then speed up. often 3 speeds are used.

the main things for getting honey out is how warm the honey is, how sticky it is and time. the longer you run it, the drier the frames get.

so its a balance between how much honey you get out vers how many frames you can do.

• Thanks 3

On 14/03/2019 at 5:02 PM, yesbut said:

I'd like to know how using an extractor is going to create less mess !

Simple- less trotting up and down the corridor for cups of tea ...🤣

Thank YOU ALL for recommendations!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chorrylan said:

@Trevor Gillbanks the 6 frame radial you imported from China died/failed or is this one just shinier?

It was not as efficient as I wanted.  There was still a lot of honey left in the frames.  It was still running very well and I on sold it.

This unit is far more efficient and faster.  Frames come out very dry.

You would not be disappointed in buying one like I now have.

• Like 1

Tangential extractors work better with sticky honeys than radials do.

with radials your relying on the angle of the cell to let honey come out. so anything really sticky doesn't want to go around the corner.

tangentials are more of a straight shot as the cell is pointed more of the direction of the force. it makes it a lot easier for honey to come out.

most commercial Tangential extractors hold the frames at an angle, but its enough to reduce the corner the honey has to go around.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

It was not as efficient as I wanted.  There was still a lot of honey left in the frames.  It was still running very well and I on sold it.

This unit is far more efficient and faster.  Frames come out very dry.

You would not be disappointed in buying one like I now have.

Hi Trevor.

Do you have a picture.

Thanks.

Sorry I just seen your link.

7 hours ago, Beat said:

Hi Trevor.

Do you have a picture.

Thanks.

Sorry I just seen your link.

Video coming soon.