ApiNZ Levy Proposal

Commodity Levy Vote Results

The Commodity Levy vote is closed and the votes have been counted. We advise that commercial beekeepers have voted not to support the introduction of a honey levy with only 23.56% voting for the introduction of a commodity levy.

This is not the outcome we wanted to see and we believe it will set back the development of our industry. But we understand that affordability is a very real issue for commercial beekeepers at this time, with many beekeepers not wanting to add any extra costs when their revenues are under pressure. 

Read our media release here and for the full breakdown of results https://apinz.org.nz/beekeepers-commodity-levy-2/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! That's emphatic.

• Agree 3

Although I voted no, I feel for the board members, who I’m sure have  spent  a lot of their own time on this proposal with the best intentions for the industry. 

I sincerely hope our industry can build from the feedback, objections and ideas for alternate proposals and come back with a levy system that beekeepers can put their faith in. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Pretty impressive turnout

Southern North Island beekeepers Inc welcomes today's NO result on the proposed Api New Zealand commodity levy.

Southern North Island Beekeepers Inc (SNIB) are relieved at today's result of the ApiNZ commodity levy vote. 
The proposed levy has been soundly rejected with a 76.44% rejection by the industry.

SNIB Chair, Gary Sinkinson said 

"Thank you beekeepers for your support on the no vote.

We still support the concept of a Commodity Levy but strictly for research only and administered by an independent body similar to the forestry industry.

Our group will now start consultations with the other beekeeping groups including ApiNZ to formulate a proposal that we hope will attract all commercial beekeepers' support.

This could take a year to formulate, and will be set low initially being mindful of the financial conditions we all are faced with."

We are disappointed by ApiNZ reaction to this overwhelming rejection. 

Gary is available for interviews by calling 06 3230554.

Gary Sinkinson  email: <sinkybees@xtra.co.nz>

Details on the proposed levy can be seen here:  https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

SNIB position on the levy can bee viewed here:  http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/CommodityLevy.php

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ApiNZ Levy Proposal said:

The Commodity Levy vote is closed and the votes have been counted. We advise that commercial beekeepers have voted not to support the introduction of a honey levy with only 23.56% voting for the introduction of a commodity levy.

This is not the outcome we wanted to see and we believe it will set back the development of our industry. But we understand that affordability is a very real issue for commercial beekeepers at this time, with many beekeepers not wanting to add any extra costs when their revenues are under pressure. 

Read our media release here and for the full breakdown of results https://apinz.org.nz/beekeepers-commodity-levy-2/

How can apinz be so clueless as to think that affordability was the driver of the result? A response so removed from reality, and failing to acknowledge the myriad of reasons people had identified in their reasons not to vote - mostly to do with apinz's remoteness from the reality of most nz beekeepers - suggests that a bullet has been dodged by commercial beekeepers. Hopefully a levy will go ahead in future, and either apinz will have nothing to do with it, or will have become an organisation representing and representative of nz beekeeping.

In case it's not clear @ApiNZ Levy Proposal, the vote should be considered a referendum on people's views of apinz's record to date.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, nikki watts said:

Pretty impressive turnout

only cos they can't do maths. No idea how this makes sense, last time i checked that was closer to 60%. 

from the apinz website "Voter turnout: 96% of all eligible voters voted in the levy referendum (being 1,057 votes received from 1,734 eligible honey producers)"

maths_eh.PNG

5 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

only cos they can't do maths. No idea how this makes sense, last time i checked that was closer to 60%. 

from the apinz website "Voter turnout: 96% of all eligible voters voted in the levy referendum (being 1,057 votes received from 1,734 eligible honey producers)"

maths_eh.PNG

Thanks @tommy dave I did not pick up on the poor maths.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Thanks @tommy dave I did not pick up on the poor maths.

plenty of other stuff on that page to process... It has been fascinating eh. I took the screenshot for posterity, i'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

Edited by tommy dave
  • Agree 1

Just now, tommy dave said:

plenty of other stuff on that page to process... It has been fascinating eh.

The fall out will be worth watching.

• Agree 1

Also from the same web page:

“What this result illustrates is missing, is the common ground that is characteristic of other industries when identifying, deciding and actioning priorities. We recognise that we need to keep working with the wider industry to find that common ground and to build stronger relationships through shared goals and priorities,” says Mr Wills.

Easy to focus on negatives and typographical errors but please don't just cherrypick the bits that suit your argument. The above sentence does demonstrate that ApiNZ are aware that it was more than just the financial situation of the industry that resulted in a no vote.

Admittedly it is also easy to shoot this comment down as I think it should read "We recognise that we need to START working with the wider industry..." 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:
Southern North Island beekeepers Inc welcomes today's NO result on the proposed Api New Zealand commodity levy.

Southern North Island Beekeepers Inc (SNIB) are relieved at today's result of the ApiNZ commodity levy vote. 
The proposed levy has been soundly rejected with a 76.44% rejection by the industry.

SNIB Chair, Gary Sinkinson said 

"Thank you beekeepers for your support on the no vote.

We still support the concept of a Commodity Levy but strictly for research only and administered by an independent body similar to the forestry industry.

Our group will now start consultations with the other beekeeping groups including ApiNZ to formulate a proposal that we hope will attract all commercial beekeepers' support.

This could take a year to formulate, and will be set low initially being mindful of the financial conditions we all are faced with."

i would be as adamantly opposed to this levy as I was to the Apinz levy.

Research is all very well but first we need a profitable industry that keeps beekeepers employed and businesses hiring.

Right now we are in crisis and if we don’t find a way to sell our honey for a reasonable price then what’s the point in any kind of research. 

• Agree 3

Not to mention beekeeping organisations putting their hands out for grant funding from the levy to conduct research of dubious practical use and/or to prop their businesses up. Case in point all of the VSH research money that vanished off into the ether a few years back. All very visible while the money flowed and completely invisible for the past few years.

Whether you voted for or against the levy it is clear that many beekeepers feel disconnected from ApiNZ.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

i would be as adamantly opposed to this levy as I was to the Apinz levy.

Research is all very well but first we need a profitable industry that keeps beekeepers employed and businesses hiring.

Right now we are in crisis and if we don’t find a way to sell our honey for a reasonable price then what’s the point in any kind of research. 

Fair comment.  That will be taken into consideration.  Real early days yet.

I would suggest that 'working with the wider industry' might be where at least some of the issues arise.

• Agree 2

The result is what it is. Democracy in action. Rather than dwell or gloat on this outcome, the industry needs to take stock of situations and find a united path forward. Identify what is required to build and future proof this industry and build an inclusive organisation with that at its core. 

Regardless of all the effort to introduce a levy the overwhelming result would indicate that APINZ failed to understand the members and or address their concerns. 

Hopefully something positive will rise out of this debacle. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2