CraBee

Free standing Q'less starter - how often

I have a free standing Queenless starter that grafted larvae / cells go into.

How often do you use it?   eg do you put new grafts into it day after day - and just keep on adding young bees, or, 

Do you graft into it, then give it a day / few days break?  And if so does this yield a better strike rate?

I keep using it day after day. 

Adding brood and bees regularly 

• Thanks 1

So there's still a market for Q's ?

2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I keep using it day after day. 

Adding brood and bees regularly 

Yes that is what I have been doing.  I have found though that acceptance rates start to drop day by day, I may just need to be adding more young bees and brood than I am.

Also, have you tried starting cells above the excluder in a Queenright hive/cell builder?  

Yes have tried doing it above an excluder of a Queen right colony but the takes aren’t consistent enough for me. 

I need to know that if I graft 100 Cells  I’m going to get more than 80 every time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes have tried doing it above an excluder of a Queen right colony but the takes aren’t consistent enough for me. 

I need to know that if I graft 100 Cells  I’m going to get more than 80 every time.

Also 🙂 in your breeder colonies do you isolate the Queen and provide her a brood frame to lay into, and then remove that frame eg 3 or 4 days later, or, do you just head into your breeder colonies and pull a frame that looks like it has the right age larvae?  I've been doing the later, and have found when I get a really good frame - the right aged larvae side by side more or less, and cell walls that are not too high and can be torn down a bit, that it makes for much easier grafting and better acceptance.

39 minutes ago, yesbut said:

So there's still a market for Q's ?

Last week spoke to a large operator and they are either producing or selling (not sure which it was now) 300-500 mated Queens per week.

Hi Crabee, starting cells in a queenright hive above an excluder works really well in spring , but at this time of year you will get a poorer take ,

been raising cells this way for years.

12 hours ago, CraBee said:

Also 🙂 in your breeder colonies do you isolate the Queen and provide her a brood frame to lay into, and then remove that frame eg 3 or 4 days later, or, do you just head into your breeder colonies and pull a frame that looks like it has the right age larvae?  

Yes I put a frame in for the queen to lay into. It's amazing how hard it can be to find the right age larvae if you leave it to luck 

• Good Info 1

3 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes I put a frame in for the queen to lay into. It's amazing how hard it can be to find the right age larvae if you leave it to luck 

Yes as I've found out....  Thanks Ms @frazzledfozzle.