yesbut

Levy Proposal to replace the American Foulbrood Apiary & Beekeeper Levy with a Hive & Beekeeper Levy

Even good companies with good staff lose things occasionally. I’ve read posts here previously about unmaintained hives that turned out to have been forgotten/lost.

• Like 1

@jamesc you were lucky that none had disease.

Was there a lot less hives around then and apiaries further apart .

12 hours ago, jamesc said:

Yeah nah .....  the fridge door thinks otherwise ..... or the cell phone that met un untimely death in the log burner 😓. We all go through stress.  But I tell you what, throwing the cell phone into the log burner was LIBERATING .... except of course that I had to go and buy a new one !

LOL... poor Jamesc... that is the problem with losing it occasionally! the cost of fixing what you broke 😣

Actually that reminds me of when I was talking to my close mate while I was in the states last year... video chatting with all the bike crew i was with, we were all having a laugh, and neck minute swearing and cursing from the other end and a black screen with the odd bright flash of red colour for us... yeap the NZ phone had fallen into the 44 gallon drum that was burning a nice hot fire (it was winter here), and mate was trying to dig it out without burning his hand off... he semi succeeded, and the phone screen actually still worked... briefly.

oops.

anyway back to the discussion... which I am very interested in.

I actually do feel a bit for the Beekeep with the 188 hives, I just wish he had burned his hives without agency intervention... that shows neglect or lack of skills/education, whether intentional or not and that worries me far more than someone who burned their hives without intervention.

At least those hives are gone, but the hives that are left still concern me... as well as my hives being so close to them.

Oh well, time will tell (and hopefully the dogs will help us to monitor all the hives, this beekeep included would be good if he does allow it)... very glad Im not a commercial, I feel for you all.

Edited by Rashika
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@jamesc you were lucky that none had disease.

Was there a lot less hives around then and apiaries further apart .

There were not so many bees around. We burnt quite a few of the hives, but we secured the perimeter to our area, until the dairy cows moved in and then the Golden Honey Triangle became a green desert and in the end we pulled out.

• Thanks 1

Back to the topic. 

This email of today seems a bit unfair.  

The subject line referred to an email received from the management agency on 19 March.  I didn't get that, last one was on the 11 March. 

image.png.40121c6eca4e4d4907262f6e6608c167.png

1 hour ago, Beehaving said:

Back to the topic. 

The subject line referred to an email received from the management agency on 19 March.  I didn't get that, last one was on the 11 March. 

I didn't get the other email it refers to either.  Once I managed to get hold of a copy of that, this email suddenly makes a lot of sense. 

Here's the content of the email referred to:

Frequently Asked Questions: Proposal to replace the American Foulbrood Apiary and Beekeeper Levy with a Hive and Beekeeper Levy

With consultation on the proposal to replace the American Foulbrood Apiary and Beekeeper Levy with Hive and Beekeeper Levy underway we have been getting some good questions and feedback on the proposal.

What is the Management Agency’s goal?
To eliminate American foulbrood (AFB) as specified by the National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan.

Did the National Beekeepers Association implement the National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan as proposed in 1997?
No, the National Beekeepers Association did not implement the National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan as was proposed to beekeepers in 1997:

1.     1997 AFB PMP proposal - The AFB PMP will enable the problem of beekeepers who fail to carry out their required disease control responsibilities under the Apiaries Act to be addressed.

Reality – The National Beekeepers Association failed to address the issue of serious and ongoing non-compliance by a minority of beekeepers. These beekeepers were allowed to continue to propagate AFB and act as a source of infection for neighbouring apiaries for 20 years until the Management Agency announced that it had the capability to hold non-compliant beekeepers to account in December 2018.

The Management Agency has taken multiple compliance actions since November 2018 to address serious cases of non-compliance. In each instance between 20% and 60% of the beekeeper’s hives were found to be infected with AFB.

2.    1997 AFB PMP proposal - There will be user-pays charges under the AFB PMP. Beekeepers who fail to submit a Certificate of Inspection, file an Annual Disease Return, destroy contaminated materials or who have apiaries under movement control will be charged.

Reality – The National Beekeepers Association did not implement:

• default inspections for beekeepers that failed to submit a Certificate of Inspection or recover costs
  • default inspections for beekeepers that failed to complete an Annual Disease Return or recover costs, or
  • place high risk apiaries under movement control.

Since November 2017 the Management Agency has:

• initiated cost recovered default inspections of apiaries owned by beekeepers whom failed to submit a Certificate of Inspection,
  • placed high risk apiaries under movement control, and
  • is proposing to initiate default cost recovered inspections for beekeepers that fail to submit an Annual Disease Return. 

3.   1997 AFB PMP proposal - Honey spore testing will be used as a routine screening tool in audits of DECA holders who declare disease incidence significantly below the national average.

Reality – The National Beekeepers Association did not implement honey spore testing of DECA holder’s honey whom declared disease incidence significantly below the national average. Consequently, seriously non-compliant beekeepers have been able to stay ‘under the radar’ simply by not reporting their cases of AFB.

The Management Agency is seeking additional funding under the levy proposal to address this issue.

Why is the Management Agency proposing that the apiary and beekeeper levy be replaced with a hive and beekeeper levy?
The Management Agency is proposing to replace the apiary and beekeeper levy because a majority of submissions on the July 2018 levy proposal told us that beekeepers wanted the apiary levy replaced with a hive levy. Submitters were concerned that the existing apiary and beekeeper levy structure is:

• Unfair to beekeepers with low number of hives per apiary, and
  • Promoted the formation of large apiaries that would increase disease risks.

The Management Agency has listened to beekeepers concerns which is why we are proposing that the apiary and beekeeper levy is replaced with a hive and beekeeper levy.

Which beekeepers should be concerned about the Management Agency’s proposed approach to compliance and enforcement of the National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan?
Beekeepers that are routinely inspecting their beehives for AFB and notifying and destroying cases of AFB have no reason to be concerned.

However, beekeepers that are consistently failing to adequately inspect their hives for AFB and/or destroy infected hives are on notice. Unless they change their ways and take responsibility for eliminating AFB from their beehives the Management Agency will act to prevent their beehives from posing a serious risk to the hives owned by other beekeepers. 

You can obtain a full copy of the proposal here.

Consultation closes at 5pm Friday 22 March 2019. You can make a submission by completing the online submission form.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Beehaving said:

Who sent you this?

Oh no need to answer that i got the email myself now.

It's from an anonymous entity called Beekeepers Against Api Tax

Since I'm on their mailing list they must be someone I have subscribed to, just, it would be nice to know who I'm talking to.

The physical address refers to themself as The Queen Bee.

And oh, this post seems rather disjointed because it has been automatically merged, 3 times, with no ability for me to edit. Maybe something the site management could have a look at refining.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Fixed merge posts

4 hours ago, Alastair said:

Who sent you this?

Oh no need to answer that i got the email myself now.

It's from an anonymous entity called Beekeepers Against Api Tax

Since I'm on their mailing list they must be someone I have subscribed to, just, it would be nice to know who I'm talking to.

The physical address refers to themself as The Queen Bee.

And oh, this post seems rather disjointed because it has been automatically merged, 3 times, with no ability for me to edit. Maybe something the site management could have a look at refining.

Hope that help @Alastair

5 hours ago, Alastair said:

Who sent you this?

fascinating that they refer to "our members" etc but don't have the confidence or pride in their beliefs to be anything but anonymous. For this reason, i feel disdain towards the authors of this email, and the beekeepers they represent, and any/all organisations with significant overlap in membership. Might be worth someone spending a bit of time this weekend figuring out who the email came from using whatever IT skills they have available to them. Could be eye-opening.

I, for one, have been very impressed by the actions over the last year relating to the AFB PMP and levy. Including the response to feedback and subsequent modifications to the initial proposal, and the increased oversight and enforcement action we've seen over the last six months. I would hate for the positive moves in a positive direction to have been for naught. Almost seems as though the originators of this email are people feeling very uncomfortable at the likelihood of terrible beekeepers (wrt to afb management) being exposed and dealt with.

7 hours ago, deejaycee said:

I didn't get the other email it refers to either.  Once I managed to get hold of a copy of that, this email suddenly makes a lot of sense.

for me, the earlier email turned up in my inbox and the one on the 19th hit my promotions folder (gmail, default folder settings) - my guess is that the latter one hit your spam filter or similar due to whatever mailchimp settings they used

53 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Hope that help @Alastair

Thanks Trevor.

On 13/03/2019 at 5:33 PM, Nuc_man said:

Three phone calls today all beekeepers. 

Panic mode has set in no buyers, money will run out . Beekeepers getting laid off   (there goes the labour shortages).

I wounder if the cropping sector is starting to worry .

In the northern hemisphere the season is about to start in a month(colder places) so there is some work for sure. Canadians still have some snow. I follow a Canadian bkper who just did his spring varroa treatment and first he had to dig his way to the hives - too much snow.

However it is said to hear that in our local industry is no money to keep the bkpers employed.

On 20/03/2019 at 6:38 PM, tommy dave said:

for me, the earlier email turned up in my inbox and the one on the 19th hit my promotions folder (gmail, default folder settings) - my guess is that the latter one hit your spam filter or similar due to whatever mailchimp settings they used

not in my case, tommy dave.   I check all my filtered folders daily - because I'm in online retail I can't afford to miss a customer email due to an overzealous filter.    It just wasn't received in my case at all.