yesbut

Levy Proposal to replace the American Foulbrood Apiary & Beekeeper Levy with a Hive & Beekeeper Levy

It was the name calling Gino, the name calling.....no excuse for abuse.

• Agree 2

Sure, but Dennis is not heard (no excuse for the f wit word tho)  Boxed in by many, and he says he's been in a similar position.  Like I said, very meaningful and for that reason his contributions are important.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

To me, I would ask do you feel differently about a AFB situation if you know the beekeeper (A lovely woman, she's been keeping bees for years, knows a ton and always happy to help) vs a small family-run operation vs a large corporate-run company?

If so then perhaps it is indeed the emotion that clouds the judgement, rather than the facts of the AFB outbreak.

Emotion might cloud our opinion of how it came to this . . .but let's trust that it doesn't affect how the issue is dealt with and the beekeeper supported to make some very hard decisions

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnF said:

To me, I would ask do you feel differently about a AFB situation if you know the beekeeper (A lovely woman, she's been keeping bees for years, knows a ton and always happy to help) vs a small family-run operation vs a large corporate-run company?

If so then perhaps it is indeed the emotion that clouds the judgement, rather than the facts of the AFB outbreak.

Emotion might cloud our opinion of how it came to this . . .but let's trust that it doesn't affect how the issue is dealt with and the beekeeper supported to make some very hard decisions

a survey revealed that a doctor who malpractices, and is well liked/respected/thoughtful... is likely to never have a claim against them.  While a diligent and thorough doctor, though lacking people skills is likely to be sued with one malpractice.  People are far more likely to be understanding if they feel connected to others. 

• Like 2

Three phone calls today all beekeepers. 

Panic mode has set in no buyers, money will run out . Beekeepers getting laid off   (there goes the labour shortages).

I wounder if the cropping sector is starting to worry .

5 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Probably not. Ignorant maybe. Or they in a good position to get plenty of bees now compared to competing with high value honey.  ?? 

7 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Three phone calls today all beekeepers. 

Panic mode has set in no buyers, money will run out . Beekeepers getting laid off   (there goes the labour shortages).

Those beekeepers in the south?  Manuka producers? 

2 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

Probably not. Ignorant maybe. Or they in a good position to get plenty of bees now compared to competing with high value honey.  ?? 

Those beekeepers in the south?  Manuka producers? 

South no manuka. 

There wont be plenty of bees very soon .

Just now, Nuc_man said:

South no manuka. 

There wont be plenty of bees very soon .

Yes, could you then charge a lot more for pollination? 

1 minute ago, Gino de Graaf said:

The wheels are going to fall off befor spring

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

I suspect the opposite will be the case, people who didn't bother with pollination will be looking how to make a dollar.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JohnF said:

I know the Beeman involved  . He used to work for me, briefly.  He's a bloke like all of us trying to make a living and support a family.   He got into bees because his previous lifestyle was highly toxic and had a high incidence of premature death.

Sure I'm peed off .... peed off that we did'nt push him to run the dog around his bees two years ago when he commented that he was interested.  So, I guess I am partly to blame, eh.

But I sure as heck 'aint gonna hang him ..... more to the point , we should probably have a cold one and share the problem.

And of course, there are other Keepers in the area that have burnt twice as many as this man, and where are the zealots who are gonna hang them ?

Life goes on .... we'll deal with it.

21 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

The wheels are going to fall off befor spring

Aye, that's for sure Murphy ...... give us a call and let's get this advertising program rolling or get some locktite to hold the wheels on.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I know the Beeman involved  . He used to work for me, briefly.  He's a bloke like all of us trying to make a living and support a family.   He got into bees because his previous lifestyle was highly toxic and had a high incidence of premature death.

Sure I'm peed off .... peed off that we did'nt push him to run the dog around his bees two years ago when he commented that he was interested.  So, I guess I am partly to blame, eh.

But I sure as heck 'aint gonna hang him ..... more to the point , we should probably have a cold one and share the problem.

And of course, there are other Keepers in the area that have burnt twice as many as this man, and where are the zealots who are gonna hang them ?

Life goes on .... we'll deal with it.

Aye, that's for sure Murphy ...... give us a call and let's get this advertising program rolling or get some locktite to hold the wheels on.

I'm hearing you and im interested

1 minute ago, Nuc_man said:

I'm hearing you and im interested

Advertising or locktite 😀?

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Advertising or locktite 😀?

Advertise we need to start now or the carnage will be unstoppable.  Already close to point of no return . I will walk away before i lose family home . Ps im no newbee the thought of losing a 4th genaration bussiness makes me sick.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Advertise we need to start now or the carnage will be unstoppable.  Already close to point of no return . I will walk away before i lose family home . Ps im no newbee the thought of losing a 4th genaration bussiness makes me sick.

Yep ..I'm with you there brother .  The bank here is running out of patience.

Maybe PM me and  we'll get the ball rolling.

Nothing is certain, it's a gamble for sure, but better than sitting on your arse watching the ship sink.

Edited by jamesc

57 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I don't think I've mentioned this but, gee you're a breath of fresh air.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 2

I was more thinking the gentle aroma of  fermented hops......

I get your point though . Even on the face of a seemingly unclimbable mountain , James is unwaveringly optimistic 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for that M4tt ..... I often think of those lines from that movie about the Indian Hotel ..... 'It will be alright in the end, and if it's not , it's not the end'.  And without wanting to be corny ....... I do have a faith in a higher being , and the faith that with  the Big Man upstairs  in control, what the heck can go wrong ?  Well of course, lot's can wrong, but we just have to be open to change and move accordingly. 

That's all. We don't seem to talk much about what makes us tick ..... but sometimes when you are down in the pits with a pile of dood doos on top of you and you are wondering how the heck you is gonna buy  crate on friday night ..... you gotta look UP. Or something like that.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 3

Humanity. Humility. Something like that. Man you're getting a fan club. I'm going to beat my chest now and pour a whisky. That will be all.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Thanks for that M4tt ..... I often think of those lines from that movie about the Indian Hotel ..... 'It will be alright in the end, and if it's not , it's not the end'.  And without wanting to be corny ....... I do have a faith in a higher being , and the faith that with  the Big Man upstairs  in control, what the heck can go wrong ?   Lot's can wrong, but we just have to be open to change and move accordingly. 

That's all. We don't seem to talk much about what makes us tick ..... but sometimes when you are down in the pits with a pile of dood doos on top of you and you are wondering how the heck you is gonna buy  crate on friday night ..... you gotta look UP. Or something like that.

What I got from your post , that @Dave Black commented on  , was that we are all people doing something similar , swimming to survive,  but not all of us can swim as well as the next person.

Thrown in to the ocean is marketing failure / uncertainty and financial pressure , which I know something about running a business that does not generate enough to pay the highly valuable staff that lighten the load and bring a fresh perspective ( not the beeking business in my case ) . What that does do is generally affects people's behaviour negatively towards each other, and in your case James, it rarely does , which is a trait to be proud of , and is refreshing .

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, M4tt said:

What I got from your post , that @Dave Black commented on  , was that we are all people doing something similar , swimming to survive,  but not all of us can swim as well as the next person.

Thrown in to the ocean is marketing failure / uncertainty and financial pressure , which I know something about running a business that does not generate enough to pay the highly valuable staff that lighten the load and bring a fresh perspective ( not the beeking business in my case ) . What that does do is generally affects people's behaviour negatively towards each other, and in your case James, it rarely does , which is a trait to be proud of , and is refreshing .

Yeah nah .....  the fridge door thinks otherwise ..... or the cell phone that met un untimely death in the log burner 😓. We all go through stress.  But I tell you what, throwing the cell phone into the log burner was LIBERATING .... except of course that I had to go and buy a new one !

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Whats going to happen to all the hives that are uneconomic and people have lost interest in cause there is no money in bed keeping .

Will there be an orderly wind down or will they be abandoned .

40 yrs ago I sold a load of hives that my ex husband had lost interest in .

I  can not remember how many , 50 maybe , even a 100.  

We had poured all our scant resources into this , his latest venture so when he abandoned them to take up computer programing instead I sold them .

Apparently they were full of AFB

The bee keepers who brought them must never have looked inside the hives .

. I know I never had , I hated the bees , horrible black stinging things that used to invade my house.

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Whats going to happen to all the hives that are uneconomic and people have lost interest in cause there is no money in beekeeping .

We had poured all our scant resources into this , his latest venture so when he abandoned them to take up computer programing instead I sold them .

. I know I never had , I hated the bees , horrible black stinging things that used to invade my house.

The future is here now and what will happen is what happened 40 years ago . 

Once business’s downscale and destaff, the assets get neglected if there is no one that can look after them . 

Bees and hives can’t just be sold off if there is no market .

One option to minimise a large scale disaster is to merge hives , get rid of queens and stack the empty boxes out of harms way somewhere , but that is often not practical and does not solve cashflow problems , but some effort is required to not allow abandoned hives and the inevitable spread of disease that follows 

So what I’m suggesting is perhaps an 0800 number to help and assist those with a serious need , which would need to be supported by Govt for the greater good 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 5

@M4tt there seemed to be so much more AFB around  40 yrs ago .

Not sure how it came way out here . There were lots of feral hives then .

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Whats going to happen to all the hives that are uneconomic and people have lost interest in cause there is no money in bed keeping .

My first hives were neglected hives sitting under a gorse hedge .... thirteen of them. The owner had disappeared to Oz and they sat within an area where the beekeeper I worked for operated. The Boss told me to look after them as they were a liability. So I did.

Several years later I went to work for another BeeKeeper. When I left him and started out on my own he lost enthusiasm. His bees too became neglected. He died and we bought the remaining hives off the estate. The old fellows records were'nt too good, and over the ensuing few years we picked up quite a few more of his bees that were found in overgrown gorse patches that were being cleared for the dairy industry. Mostly they were dead and rotten.

I have a feeling that you will find people just walk away.  A bit like the dust bowl scenarios of the Mid West in the thirties.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2