Jump to content
yesbut

Levy Proposal to replace the American Foulbrood Apiary & Beekeeper Levy with a Hive & Beekeeper Levy

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here's the next one to argue over..... I suppose most people have had the email.

Edited by yesbut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There probably wont be much debate on this one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe there shouldn't be a levy at all if they're going down the cost recovery path.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

their new proposal looks good to me.

they've obviously considered the feedback.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But where are their teeth, they still will not prosecute offenders,

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bighands said:

But where are their teeth, they still will not prosecute offenders,

not sure whether the empowering legislation allows for that, would have to go take a read. I'm with you and would like both name and shame and prosecution options. This looks like a bit of a deterrent though given how much those direct costs could amount to:

" $500 plus the direct costs of:

inspecting all hives in all apiaries owned by the beekeeper twice each year

destroying AFB hives

auditing beekeeper’s compliance with 122(1)(c) direction"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see some people fined heavily and I know a few that shouldn't be allowed to keep bees at all but you have to be careful with that sort of thing because you can end up with hives being left off the radar. Help and education should be the first port of call. Automatic destruction of unregistered hives would be nice but I don't think that's in the legislation.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But John the destruction of unregistered hives should be in the legislation as we lose out by having slack beekeepers around us. Also their needs to be a legal definition of an abandoned apiary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bighands said:

But John the destruction of unregistered hives should be in the legislation as we lose out by having slack beekeepers around us. Also their needs to be a legal definition of an abandoned apiary.

Couldn't agree more and there is provisions to make submissions.

I have just read through the document and apart from increased cost I do see some improvements but there is no provision for new technology like dogs and only limited provision for honey testing. Honey testing is likely to be the definitive answer to AFB. Every batch extracted honey should have to be tested and then they will know exactly who to target. I hear constant rumours about different beekeepers especially the corporate's having a massive AFB problems and declaring nothing. This may be all rumours or more likely there is a fair bit of truth in it . 

While I'm at it what do people think of having the board members elected rather than appointed. 

One thing I am not sure about is the need for AFB regulations in regard to export. My understanding is that importers don't give a damn except that if you have legislation you have to show you are abiding by it. If we had no regulationwe would have nothing to abide by and they would be happy. Course I could be completely wrong on that one.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could turn the afb honey test into a marketing ploy. Put a big "AFB Free" sticker on the honey jar, bit of a blurb about saving the bees which is popular. Careful bk gets a premium for their honey, ratbag bk has an incentive to look a bit closer at their hives.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, Bighands said:

But John the destruction of unregistered hives should be in the legislation as we lose out by having slack beekeepers around us. Also their needs to be a legal definition of an abandoned apiary.

I agree totally 

I have also asked them how they will police the hive numbers ,knowing full well that some hives are constantly on the move and they arent tagged , lol.

Going to be a bit hard .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So once again we pay a levy for the AFBPMP and they cannot legally police it because laws are not in place.This is not on and these are only my thoughts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a quick read.  The scenarios they share, are they real cases? or just that 'scenarios' - cause each one says 'costs recovered' 

Agree- what's abandoned? 

And, does the overseas market care that we have 'AFB' free honey?? don't think so. 

The 'saving' of hives- is this an estimate of finding some disease and assuming that those diseased hives could infect many more? (the 'saved') 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

And, does the overseas market care that we have 'AFB' free honey?? don't think so. 

 

Yes. 

They do. 

A shipment of manuka was apparently turned around by Chinese authorities because they found AFB in the honey. Sure, they will have AFB in their honey . . . . but if there are reasons to reject NZ honey and raise trade barriers, then they will be found. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JohnF said:

 

Yes. 

They do. 

A shipment of manuka was apparently turned around by Chinese authorities because they found AFB in the honey. Sure, they will have AFB in their honey . . . . but if there are reasons to reject NZ honey and raise trade barriers, then they will be found. 

 

Apparently (can you say for sure)  - well it's Crazy business. Never seizes to amaze me, how Chinese don't trust their own food and then make importing difficult. 

 What is the risk? to human health or possible AFB spread through empty pots at the land fill?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

Apparently (can you say for sure)  - well it's Crazy business. Never seizes to amaze me, how Chinese don't trust their own food and then make importing difficult. 

 What is the risk? to human health or possible AFB spread through empty pots at the land fill?  

 

 

Apparently. This came from the AFB PMP a year or so ago - and was raised at conference as well.

There is no risk to human health. Little risk to bees. Your questions are fair Gino but bely the sort of thing that necessitated the manuka standard and a lot of other work done . . . there are political things at play which affect beekeepers and honey. I would imagine that the Chinese try to raise it as a trade barrier that is then negotiated away in return for NZ importing XYZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

suppose so, though it never seems to include common sense.  All power play. We bend an awful lot to accommodate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I just had my say on the AFB beekeeper levy proposal... I also suggested the AFB dog use... probably wont mean anything but its my 2c anyway

maybe it will work better than the current system, maybe.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be the use of dogs as a tool discussion at conference this year during the AFB discussions. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No question

An unregistered site needs to be subject to a maximum penalty of destruction (forfeiture)

  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone else encountered a message regarding a north-canterbury beekeeping outfit that had afb found in about 60% of their hives over the weekend? 14 sites with robbed out hives.

There have been some indications as to who they are, but i'm not set up for private messaging and probably inappropriate to post here.

Dirt beekeepers should be banned from beekeeping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

anyone else encountered a message regarding a north-canterbury beekeeping outfit that had afb found in about 60% of their hives over the weekend? 14 sites with robbed out hives.

There have been some indications as to who they are, but i'm not set up for private messaging and probably inappropriate to post here.

Dirt beekeepers should be banned from beekeeping.

The issue is always are they the problem or a victim, easy to throw stones with out knowledge about the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dennis Crowley said:

The issue is always are they the problem or a victim, easy to throw stones with out knowledge about the situation.

14 sites with robbed out afb hives, 60% of their hives with symptomatic afb - hard to imagine any scenario where they are a victim rather than a problem...

  • Agree 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

14 sites with robbed out afb hives, 60% of their hives with symptomatic afb - hard to imagine any scenario where they are a victim rather than a problem...

I know about the situation and the circumstance, unlike yourself. There is always a starting point to an infection, after that is just either bad/negligent/lazy/naive decisions from there.

If an infection gets to high there is an emotional element that comes in as well, they hope it goes away or its better to keep it quite from family because of the money involved or others because ####wits like you want to demonize them instead of offering help, easy for someone who dosen't earn a living from their hives to throw stones and tell commercial how it should be done. I know exactly what they are going through been there myself. have you..

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

 There is always a starting point to an infection, after that is just either bad/negligent/lazy/naive decisions from there.

If an infection gets to high there is an emotional element that comes in as well, they hope it goes away or its better to keep it quite from family because of the money involved or others because ####wits like you want to demonize them instead of offering help, easy for someone who dosen't earn a living from their hives to throw stones and tell commercial how it should be done.

are you trying to excuse them? wow. just wow.

i'm saying that ignoring afb and allowing it to spread isn't acceptable. You excuse it? is that the apinz position too?

 

and no, i'm not commercial. And if i was, i wouldn't be such a criminal piece of dirt as to risk ruining the livelihoods of all around me through selfish law breaking

Edited by tommy dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...