Abbot

Casual honey importing

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but found this on Youtube in the comments on an Australian Beekeeper's video about selling raw honey comb in pots.

Zahra Brogden
Looks great! Can you ship to NZ? Im not sure about the border control rules around honey, so have never tried to buy of the website just in case.
Hide replies
The Bush Bee Man
We sure can :) We've never had a problem posting to NZ

Is this even legal?
Edited by Abbot
clarity
  • Sad 1

It might be legal for him but it isn't legal for the buyer. Bush Bee Man needs to be told in no uncertain terms. Somebody on here can refer this to MPI ?

• Agree 1

Thanks for posting this Abbot.  That seems bizarre for a NZer to enquire about importing a jar of comb honey when we already have truckloads of honey here.  SMH lost for words really.  I was considering getting into selling comb honey myself.  Maybe we also ought to import a few possums

• Haha 1

Small hive beetle and European foulbrood here we come

ApiNZ are working with MPI on this.  We have referred a number of cases of this type of activity to MPI recently.  MPI have been very proactive in reminding Australian operators the rules against importing honey into New Zealand.

Wherever instances of this type of activity are discovered, they should be referred to MPI's Compliance team. Food.Compliance@mpi.govt.nz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 4

I replied to the comment on YouTube. Bush  Bee Man replied saying he just checked the rules and won’t be sending honey to NZ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I would lose about 10 sales a week at the farmers market by being honest and telling Australians and Americans that they can't take comb honey home with them.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you look at sites like alibaba, there are vast amounts of honey being sold illegally.

Off shore factories selling all grades of Manuka. Some from nz producers too. 

One nz company is Mis labeling bush honey as manuaka, with an mgo of 8. 

It’s pretty scary to see how much there is. 

• Good Info 2

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, john berry said:

I would lose about 10 sales a week at the farmers market by being honest and telling Australians and Americans that they can't take comb honey home with them.

John you have probably been over and over this.. how do we know that comb honey can not be taken to Au or US?  I can not find anything that says it can not, only that it should be declared, and may be inspected.  For example http://www.beesinca.com/2015/05/getting-honey-through-customs.html?m=1

Edited by Paul Beer
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

On 1/03/2019 at 2:42 PM, Paul Beer said:

John you have probably been over and over this.. how do we know that comb honey can not be taken to Au or US?  I can not find anything that says it can not, only that it should be declared, and may be inspected.  For example http://www.beesinca.com/2015/05/getting-honey-through-customs.html?m=1

I would have thought taking Honey into America would be fine, but yes I agree not into Australia?

Doh my mistake i did not notice that the article mentioned Australia along with nz at the start.   But still ok to send to US

NZ honey can go to some parts of Ozzy but not others. I take honey to my daughter in Melbourne, declare it at customs, they have a look and let it through.

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Alastair said:

NZ honey can go to some parts of Ozzy but not others. I take honey to my daughter in Melbourne, declare it at customs, they have a look and let it through.

Yes.  But certainly not Western Aussie.  Even the rest of Aussie cannot send honey to WA.

• Agree 1

Honey in pots can get into Australia but comb honey seems to be a no-no. Maybe it depends on who inspection or luggage but I don't want to put people crook.

• Good Info 1

28 minutes ago, john berry said:

Honey in pots can get into Australia but comb honey seems to be a no-no. Maybe it depends on who inspection or luggage but I don't want to put people crook.

One of me relatives took some honey to Aussie.  No problem with the runny honey, but customs did not want to allow the creamed honey in.

• Confused 1

On 3/03/2019 at 8:18 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

One of me relatives took some honey to Aussie.  No problem with the runny honey, but customs did not want to allow the creamed honey in.

I just sent some runny honey back to melbourne with my son .

Nearly sent creamed .

Do you think it depends on who's on the customs shift that day .

Can not find any rules about creamed honey .

We send honey to Queensland every year its not a problem runny or creamed.

As far as I’m aware it’s only Western Australia that won’t allow honey in.

43 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I just sent some runny honey back to melbourne with my son .

Nearly sent creamed .

Do you think it depends on who's on the customs shift that day .

Can not find any rules about creamed honey .

Yes, I believe it is the individual customs person with the creamed.  I have had others take in creamed honey without a problem.

Just needs to be in well sealed and labeled pots.

• Thanks 1

On 8/03/2019 at 7:15 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes, I believe it is the individual customs person with the creamed.  I have had others take in creamed honey without a problem.

Just needs to be in well sealed and labeled pots.

Well aussie customs confiscated the two small jars of honey I sent back to melbourne with my son .

One jar was a a honey jar with labels from my honey swap and the other a peanut butter jar .

The reason given was the small bits of crystallised honey in the liquid honey .

This was my last seasons rata which is still liquid .

I could have filtered it if it had occured to me that would happen .

They are so inconsistent . My son has taken honey before with no problem .

• Thanks 1

they probably wanted it for their toast :D

some of the islands are like that. take double, give one to the customs guy.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, tristan said:

they probably wanted it for their toast :D

some of the islands are like that. take double, give one to the customs guy.

I suppose I can not blame them if their other main options are eucalyptus honey or fake honey from china .

Decent NZ honey would be too tempting .

I sell honey to Aussie tourists daily, they declare it and no problems. Western Australia and Kangaroo island absolutely no.

They buy it because it tastes so good, so they tell me.

• Like 1