Vicks

Wasp nest close to my hives

I have discovered a wasp nest in the bottom of an old stump about 20 meters from my hives. The wasps are entering through a crevice at the base of the stump. What is the best and safest method of killing the nest?

Petrol in a bottle , upended down into their nest will do it. Beesuit on, push the bottle into the hole, walk away .... best done at night.

Thats only going to work if you can get the bottle to drain into their nest.

DO NOT light it.....ever 😊

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Pour 1 to 2 litres of petrol in. Do not light it just let the fumes kill them.

Method - do it at night when all the wasps are in there. Don't use a torch cos wasps may fly to the light. put the petrol in a container such as a bucket it is easy to tip out of, walk up to the stump, pour it in the hole and leave quickly. Next day it should all be over.

• Like 1

LOL, just seen you post Matt must have posted while I was typing. i think we both got the right idea. 😉

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, M4tt said:

DO NOT light it.....ever 😊

Lighting it is much more fun . Definitely not recommended but oh to be young and foolish again.

most powdered insecticides also work well as long as the entrance is dry.

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, john berry said:

Lighting it is much more fun . Definitely not recommended but oh to be young and foolish again.

most powdered insecticides also work well as long as the entrance is dry.

If you wait until the nest is dead and then put another bottle of petrol in you could light that one -just to feel young and foolish again

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

If you wait until the nest is dead and then put another bottle of petrol in you could light that one -just to feel young and foolish again

You’d really want to check your public liability insurance was up to date first , at this time of the year 😉

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Somebody on this forum mentioned fish cat food & cat/dog flea treatment in a bottle with holes to kill wasps.

Apparently there is a specific brand of fish cat food that wasps particularly like, does anyone know

that please?

2 hours ago, Gayle Sinclair said:

Somebody on this forum mentioned fish cat food & cat/dog flea treatment in a bottle with holes to kill wasps.

Apparently there is a specific brand of fish cat food that wasps particularly like, does anyone know

that please?

I thiiiink it's any of the oily ones. Not water. Or I might be thinking of sardines.

• Agree 1

From Vespex site:

What protein bait should I use for the wasp activity testing?

We recommend a plain raw protein such as fish offcuts, chicken, or rabbit meat. You can also use tinned salmon or tuna, but make sure these are canned in water (not oil) and that they are plain fish with no added flavours.

https://www.merchento.com/vespex_faq.html#q14

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gayle Sinclair said:

that please?

It’s better to just get the real product in my view - safer and ensures the correct dosage etc. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Gayle Sinclair said:

that please?

Red meat mince, 10ml fipronil to 1litre water spray small amount of the mixture on the mince and mix through, place bait when wasps are actively hunting insects/ spiders and good bye wasps. 

I have had half handfuls of bait removed in an hour before. Very effective. 

By 14 days later you will see as serious drop in activity. 

Keep away from water sources. 

I bait on fenceposts around bush edges sand up in branches around head height sad soon as I see them hunting. 

Vespex is of course a product based on this and available to buy ready to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, Vicks said:

I have discovered a wasp nest in the bottom of an old stump about 20 meters from my hives. The wasps are entering through a crevice at the base of the stump. What is the best and safest method of killing the nest?

diesel will do the job too and safer