Markypoo

Do OA staples count as organically managed? For a school project.

But "artisan" is a word like "organic". 😉

artisan honey.JPG

Edited by Alastair
  • Haha 10

I'm not understanding a word used in this blog. I assume that OA is referring to oxalic acid but what does the word staple mean?

If you feed your bees sugar it has to be organic sugar if you want to call the honey organic. Fro what I understand the Asure qualty organic standards allow o/a staples to control varroa. You also have to be careful where yoyr bees are foraging due to chemicals being used.

4 hours ago, Max2Tucker said:

I'm not understanding a word used in this blog. I assume that OA is referring to oxalic acid but what does the word staple mean?

Hi Max
Welcome to the Forum and New Zealand

The term Staple refers to a Paper based device invented in NZ that acts as a dispenser for a liquid solution of Oxalic Acid and Glycerin.

These devices consist of a laminated structure of heavy kraft paper tape.

The actual layering of kraft paper as a resivour device is not novel from a global perspective but the way they are constructed and stitched at the edges is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That sounds like a wonderful project! I have been on a similar path and I am happy to share ideas. Just that I am in Auckland and therefore not close to Timaru is a bit of a problem, but if there are ways to help I would love to get in touch.

On 21/02/2019 at 12:59 PM, Maja said:

Hi Markypoo,

Great idea for kids !

I am in Ashburton and use Oxalic Acid  or Formic acid ( both accepted as organic treatments in NZ) and have some spare honey (lavender and garden mix ) if you interested.

Could drop it off in Timaru on my way South if you interested.

Would love to see your project !

Maja

I am pretty sure to keep it all legal I could only buy it off you if you had it extracted in licensed facilities. I should be right though. We still have a flow going on!

• Like 1

Great idea!

I already sell my honey using this marketing and people love it. I don’t use the word organically managed but I do say no synthetic chemicals.

When they ask and you tell people how a regular beekeeper uses synthetic chemical and that they wear latex gloves they screw their nose up.

Good luck your plan will succeed!

22 minutes ago, Vitesse said:

Great idea!

I already sell my honey using this marketing and people love it.

When they ask and you tell people how a regular beekeeper uses synthetic chemical and that they wear latex gloves they screw their nose up.

Lol @ “regular beekeeper” 

I  use latex gloves with the ox/gl staples no difference than putting in synthetics,

Synthetics aren’t in the hives when honey boxes are on so has nothing to do with the  quality of the honey. 

• Agree 3

Synthetic is another of the marketing spin words. Personally I would not for one minute wish to go to a factory in China producing 99.9% Oxalic Acid, or concentrated Formic acid, to suggest that it would be a place fit for humans is laughable, it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. 

• Agree 2

54 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Lol @ “regular beekeeper” 

I  use latex gloves with the ox/gl staples no difference than putting in synthetics,

Synthetics aren’t in the hives when honey boxes are on so has nothing to do with the  quality of the honey. 

You missed my point.

maybe to make my point I should ask what the residual amounts of synthetic chemical are in beeswax?

1 hour ago, Vitesse said:

You missed my point.

maybe to make my point I should ask what the residual amounts of synthetic chemical are in beeswax?

Beeswax from the brood next where the treatments have been or from the honey super where the treatments haven’t been ?

• Like 1