All the recipes I have seen for Damson Gin use sugar. 

Has anyone tried it using honey? Can anyone think of a reason why it would not give a satisfactory result?

Hoooo boy! Now I have to google Damson Gin...

Lynda Hallinan - past editor of Gardening NZ is on a road trip around the country - in South Island currently launching her latest book called Damson and is demoing Damson Gin - with sugar as part of the blurb.Dammed funny and seriously good.

Suggest getting in touch with makewine.co.nz they may be able to offer help.

Ahhhhhhhhh. Very similar to Sloe Gin. We make that with our home made ethanol and home grown plums. Havent tried it with honey, but I’ll bet its amazing and would be easy enough to sub the sugar out. 

I tried making plum and apple cider with honey (plum mead). Bit of a fail, but so was the sugar version. I still open a bottle every six months to see if it has improved...

• Like 1

Recipes please, ive only made mead would like to add to my drinks cabinet.

@Dennis Crowley This is my first attempt so have only tried the sugar version- and its sill a work in progress.

I used about 550g plums  (pricked), added 3/4 c sugar in a 1kg jar. Topped up with gin. You have to shake it daily until the sugar is dissolved. The problem I have is the jar lid isn't quite liquid proof, so I have to lick my fingers......Then apparently you are supposed to leave it about 3 months. Fat chance.

• Like 1