yesbut

More by-kill

Most probably some numpty authoritatively explaining how to put flee killer in sodding jam, happens every year somewhere.

Don't worry, Karin Kos thinks it's all part of the process.

Edited by Sailabee

14 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

Most probably some numpty authoritatively explaining how to put flee killer in sodding jam, happens every year somewhere.

I have never heard of putting flea killer in jam .

Ant killer maybe .

Terrible to see poisoning like that. I used to get really frustrated ringing up officials when we had that sort of poisoning and all you ever got was dumb questions like, a sure it's insecticide poisoning and how can you tell it's not something else. Hives that have been poisoned don't look like anything else. It got so bad in the apple orchards in the end my father would estimate the cost of losses and this was added on to the next years pollination price with a note identifying what the extra charge was for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 16 February 2019 at 7:30 AM, Sailabee said:

How does Karin think its all part of the process in this article she explains it well - dont use jams etc and chat to beekeepers if using

in an urban situation, how does the wasp baiter know where all the beekeepers live in order to talk with them?

In the urban situation bees are still needed, don’t use baits that endanger them. 

There is a lady a couple of blocks from my house who poisons bees and is open about it. Used to keep my 2 breeder hives at the house but that is over no bees at home now. 

There is a flowering bush in her garden that gets lots of bees on it and she finds this unnacceptable. The last hive i had at the house was decimated so moved it away last spring. It must have had some poison in the food stores because after it was moved it did not die completely but continued to dwindle. Brood was real patchy probably because of larvae being fed poison. It spent the whole season just on a few frames in one box, but must have finally purged itself and has come right, has filled a single and brood pattern is now good. No harvestable crop but  it's a winterable hive.

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

There is a lady a couple of blocks from my house who poisons bees and is open about it.

Would she legally be able to poison roaming neighbour's cats or dogs ?

Good point Yesbut, perhaps if i took her to court she could be stopped, other than that not much I can do about it.

The City Council are aware of it. Full story is she complained to the Council about the bees and a Council enforcement officer visited her and saw the bees on the flowers. I was the nearest known beekeeper so the officer then visited me, decided my 2 single decker hives were nothing out of the ordinary and decided to do nothing. Told me she got some bees on her plant but in his view that is normal life in NZ.

Lady not happy with that so took matters into her own hands and started poisoning. The following season when her plant was flowering again she rang the Council again, they visited her again and she told them she was poisoning the bees. Council guy then visited me and told me she was poisoning bees but would not tell me where she was, just pointed the direction and said she was around 2 blocks away. He did not think it was his problem to do anything about the poisoning.

The bees did not die completely but dwindled and would have a mass die off periodically. In the end i just decided to move them out.

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 2

It is illegal to spray insecticide is on to flowering plants that might be visited by bees and that includes drift onto things like clover and dandelions on an orchard or vineyard. Having said all that I once saw around 50 hives badly poisoned in a kiwi for orchard by a neighbouring Apple grower using carberil . The council even had his spray diary but in the end declined to prosecute.  Happened several years in a row. So yes it is a illegal but don't hold your breath about anyone being prosecuted or even stopped.

I wonder if you would get prosecuted if you visited her flowering bush with a little bit of roundup.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LOL. If i knew which bush it was that might have been an option, late one night. 😉

My understanding was that she was not poisoning the bees on the plant, but using a poison bait in a dish. However if the plant that was attracting the bees to her attention could have been dealt with, perhaps she would have stopped doing it.

Edited by Alastair

OMG Alastair, what a crazy person! At least the council person let you know... It does make you wonder if someone doesnt like this persons bees in Lyttleton either?

Yes, there's always that one person in a thousand who doesn't think like most people or got a mental condition. 

I was asked to move an apiary once because the bees were swarming round the person's house. When I looked the house was over 200 m away and they were visiting a spring flowering camellia. The woman was renting the house which was about as far out in the countryside as you could get. I am always happy to move bees for a good reason but that wasn't one and I politely told her her best option was to cut the tree down. It always pays to be polite even if inside you are thinking those immortal words of Mrs Brown; that's nice.!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Alastair said:

Yes, there's always that one person in a thousand who doesn't think like most people or got a mental condition. 

Have you met the women .

Does she have a phobia .?

No i don't know who she is. Maybe a phobia, but to me someone who doesn't understand bees on flowers is just someone who never interacted with anything natural much. 

Probably a messed up unhappy person.

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 1

If you don't like bees, don't have flowering plants. Simple.

It would be an awful shame if her tree mysteriously died overnight...

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

No i don't know who she is. Maybe a phobia, but to me someone who doesn't understand bees on flowers is just someone who never interacted with anything natural much. 

Probably a messed up unhappy person.

We had some germans here who wanted to kill all the insects in the living areas.

Not catch them and put them outside ,  But squash them .

its kinda sad really when people dont understand that insects have an important function... I hate killing things, always try to get them outside if they are stuck in the bath or something.

...except white tails, them I will kill, and we do get a few around here

• Like 1

Here's a pic of a large white tail i found running around inside my veil with me 🙂.

Actually i like white tails, just not that up close and personal 😄. This one was carefully placed back on the side of a hive.

whitetail.jpg

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1

yeah nah... you can keep em!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

We had some germans here who wanted to kill all the insects in the living areas.

Not catch them and put them outside ,  But squash them .

Human stupidity is infinite..

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

More mysteriously dead bees.... not.

The result of a robbing frenzy. I should open the hive tomorrow and see who won.

5F358442-26FD-4F8C-89F5-A3479F0653A4.jpeg

• Sad 2

What’s going on there do you reckon @jamesc ?

just the one hive ?

looks like poison doesn’t it :(