I was gifted a cheap chinese plastic honey gate. It leaks water so I presume it would also leak honey. What is a good budget honey and where from please.

$22.50 Lega from ecrotec has served me well slapped on a bucket. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I wanted to buy one and one of the big suppliers had an offer: 25l bucket with honey gate for a price of a honey gate.

It's plastic obviously and leaked water but did not leak honey even when the bucket was full, sitting in the corner for days. (although I had to remove the gate and smooth the plastic edges of the pail by myself, no biggie)

Now I checked again and the price went up a bit

https://www.ceracell.co.nz/20l-heavy-duty-grade-pail-assembled-with-gate/

for a serious application I'd buy a metal one tbh

Saw this the other day. It removes the risk of a leaking honey gate but I imagine you would need an air vent in the lid opposite the gate. It also allows you to share a gate between several buckets

FB_IMG_1550453777852.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also means that the buckets all stack together in winter, which for hobby beeks with limited space, it's a winner.

• Like 1

It pays to settle your honey in a different bucket from the one you are pouring from. If you put honey and wax straight into your pouring bucket the wax will rise but some will get trapped inside the tap

• Good Info 2

On 15/02/2019 at 11:02 PM, Markypoo said:

I was gifted a cheap chinese plastic honey gate. It leaks water so I presume it would also leak honey. What is a good budget honey and where from please.

If your honey has the same viscosity as water you have bigger problems to worry about. Your cheep Chinese honey gate might be just fine with honey.

On 18/02/2019 at 2:42 PM, RobH said:

Saw this the other day. It removes the risk of a leaking honey gate but I imagine you would need an air vent in the lid opposite the gate. It also allows you to share a gate between several buckets

FB_IMG_1550453777852.jpg

Any idea what the other things are - the owner looks to be good at making useful things.

I can see frame ends in various stages of production and a collection of smoker plugs. Apparently the bucket stand pulls apart to lay flat for storage

• Thanks 1

The frame to the right of the bucket stand looks like a one frame observation hive.

• Thanks 1

Front left of the bucket looks like frames side bars in the making, and front right of bucket, saw-bench push sticks.

I hadn’t realised that frame components were made like that. It’s obvious really, as routing or cutting small components wouldn’t work at all. It turns out I like she’s photos.