john berry

Manuka fail

2 hours ago, john berry said:

By all means blame MPI for implementing a standard that is wrong  but don't blame them for implementing a standard

i don't blame them for getting it wrong, i blame them for sitting on it for 3 years know it was wrong, then implementing it anyway.

(and obviously for over a year haven't done the slightest bit to fix it).

but looks like they did an excellent job to cover their tracks cos nobody seems to know who exactly we have to thank for this and i don't even want to know what this hoax has earned them while they had everyone believing they worked on an billion$ industry solution. 

if you look at it from a different angle, the history of manuka honey is a tale of how to turn #### into gold.

manuka honey once was considered rubbish, the manuka plant a hated weed, manuka land worthless. same storry in oz.

than came the alchemist Peter Molan. and since than an endless cue of people after the fast $ in manuka.

in that respect i give those guys who masterminded this standard the first price. they surely turned their #### into $.

6 hours ago, Bighands said:

John,It was the Chjinese Government who asked MPI to set standards for Manuka Honey.I agree it should have been beekeeper led many years earlier. We have ourselves to blame if the standards set by MPI are too hard to acihieve

My understanding is that the borders were very close to shutting to manuka honey - rather than China asking. This applies to both the China and UK borders with the UK alone importing 3 times more 'manuka' than NZ had hives for

6 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The Aussies seem to be doing very well selling their Manuka honey on total activity which means the numbers on their label are more impressive than NZ.

Yes, a number of their leptospermum species (e.g. jellybush) have considerably higher levels of the 'active' markers than our NZ manuka. They also have higher levels of leptosperin, I don't know about lepteridine?

They are also developing their own standard and Im sure it won’t exclude the percentage of honey that is now excluded in NZ’s standard. 

Their standard is based on DHA and MGO to date ie easily adulterated

Whether the NZ standard eliminates Aussie honey is not going to matter unless NZ can get  a trademark on Manuka

No. The NZ standard has to eliminate Australian honey because a standard similar to their's (and our old standard) could mean NZ gets swept by a flood of Australian active honey. . .or fraudulently labelled as NZ manuka. If the honey is labelled as NZ manuka and passes a DHA/MGO test (as a standard) then very few might look further to ascertain whether actually NZ
L. scoparium honey.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

16 hours ago, john berry said:

By all means blame MPI for implementing a standard that is wrong  but don't blame them for implementing a standard. Beekeepers brought MPI's actions on themselves . They had years to implement their own standard but the continual fighting between different factions meant that nothing happened, couple that with rampant and deliberate adulteration and you can see where MPI were coming from. Just a shame they got it wrong.

So the lesson here is that infighting within the industry is detrimental to sound thinking and growth.... so, as we ponder our levy votes... look to the past and learn what the future might hold

35 minutes ago, jamesc said:

So the lesson here is that infighting within the industry is detrimental to sound thinking and growth.... so, as we ponder our levy votes... look to the past and learn what the future might hold

One way to galvanize this industry would be to for the Govt to tire of the nonsense and make the decisions for us
That way we would likely turn our attention from each others throats and onto the new bad guy

Presto, a unified industry 

• Agree 1

Uh huh... bit like the young bulls arguing over the heifers and the old bull doing the job?

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

Uh huh... bit like the young bulls arguing over the heifers and the old bull doing the job?

Ha ha, Na that story was made up by tired old delusional Bulls.

• Haha 1

No,no .... it’s the story of life..... wisdom wins the day.... every time!

and anyway, why arr’nt u on yr stsple machine....?

Edited by jamesc

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

No,no .... it’s the story of life..... wisdom wins the day.... every time!

and anyway, why arr’nt u on yr stsple machine....?

Lol

I had the night off, finished work at 5pm

Will do 16 hrs both Sat and Sun to make up

5 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Lol

I had the night off, finished work at 5pm

Will do 16 hrs both Sat and Sun to make up

Glad to hear it !

we seriously underestimated the number of double broods we have so will be sending another order :) 

really liking the EPW they are much stiffer and 

very easy to put in without taking out a frame first :) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Glad to hear it !

we seriously underestimated the number of double broods we have so will be sending another order :) 

really liking the EPW they are much stiffer and 

very easy to put in without taking out a frame first :) 

Thats Ok Frazzel,

Im just rolling with the punches now

Yes I agree. The EPW are much easier to put in - they are just slightly shorter as well.   Be interesting to see what the bees do to them. 

I went to one hive this week which had had the old single thread staples in for a couple of months  and half of the floorboard was covered in white fluff - looked like snow.   Other hives - also with the older strips - looked like the bees had physically hauled the whole staple out the front of the hive and bits of chewed up staple and threads are  lying around - looked they had been having a party!!

Southern bees love the EPs... 

southern mites despise 

D3F7C0F6-BF44-4C9F-928B-63B7324B98B3.png

• Like 2