Jump to content
Frederick

Commodity Levy / Fight for the Industrys future?

RISK OF CLOSURE

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bees said:

Thanks - but why does it take so long - surely the results will already be known by the powers that bee’  

As far as I know it's being run by Elections NZ. Judging by the issues I not infrequently have with online type stuff I could well imagine they're being very very careful to get things right before handing the results over to their employer. If you lived in Nelson you'd have a lot more to fret about, for example tonight's forecast rain after having 5 whole mm since Xmas day.....

Edited by yesbut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

 
 
The voting closed on 1 March 2019. Electionz.com, the independent agency running the voting process, has advised final results as follows:
  • Vote Count (based on 26 hives or more): 76.44% voted No compared with 23.56% who voted Yes.
  • Weighted vote (based on hive numbers of those who voted): The No votes represented 64.03% of the total registered beehives of those who voted; while the Yes votes represented 35.97% of the total registered beehives of those who voted.
  • Voter turnout: 60.96% of all eligible voters voted in the levy referendum (being 1,057 votes received from 1,734 eligible honey producers).
From the Chair, Bruce Wills
7 March 2019

We are sending out an early update as the results from the Commodity Levy vote have now been counted. 

I advise that commercial beekeepers have voted not to support the introduction of a honey levy with only 23.56% voting for the introduction of a commodity levy.

It’s no secret that this is not the outcome I, nor the Board, wanted to see. I believe it will set back the development of the honey industry, but I understand that at present commercial beekeepers are hurting with the erosion in honey prices as a result of over-supply, for all floral types other than mānuka honey. 

We understand that affordability is a real issue for beekeepers at this time. The current season has been disappointing, and many beekeepers are in survival mode and don’t want to incur any extra cost when their revenues are under such pressure.

The industry as a whole must accept the decision the beekeepers have made, but it is a disappointing result for future development of the industry, particularly given the experience and examples of other successful primary sectors who are collectively focused and funded based on everyone contributing financially to industry good outcomes.

With hindsight, even though the levy was considered to be sustainable in either easy or difficult times, it was not the ideal time to put the levy proposition to the vote. However, despite the outcome the challenges and issues faced by the industry remain the same and ApiNZ is committed to continuing to work on these through its work programmes and industry focus groups.

Issues such as working with Government to make compliance requirements less onerous and taking action to see how we can grow the value of our key native monofloral honeys, remain priorities. Other issues such as making sure our bees stay healthy and having strong biosecurity programmes in place both to control and prevent new incursions are also on our agenda.

What this result illustrates is missing, is the common ground that is characteristic of other industries when identifying, deciding and actioning priorities. We recognise that we need to keep working with the wider industry to find that common ground and to build stronger relationships through shared goals and priorities.

We will consider all these points at the next meeting of the Board and look at what types of initiatives are required to secure a strong future for the industry. This will remain our focus as ApiNZ, the industry organisation working for industry good and a strong, sustainable future.

Finally, I would like to thank all ApiNZ members who supported the vote and supported the team over the voting period. Your contribution has been appreciated.
 
 
Copyright © 2019 Apiculture New Zealand. All rights reserved. 

Our mailing address is:
Apiculture New Zealand 
PO Box 10 414
The Terrace
Wellington 6143
New Zealand

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

 

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yesbut said:

If you looked on the Apinz website you'd see that the published timeline has the results being announced on 12 March.

they are out, it was a NO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevin moore said:

they are out, it was a NO

Woops to late i see there posted above all ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kevin moore said:

they are out, it was a NO

Who’s out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Who’s out

as above the votes results for the levy, the no's won

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

 

 
 
The voting closed on 1 March 2019. Electionz.com, the independent agency running the voting process, has advised final results as follows:
  • Vote Count (based on 26 hives or more): 76.44% voted No compared with 23.56% who voted Yes.
  • Weighted vote (based on hive numbers of those who voted): The No votes represented 64.03% of the total registered beehives of those who voted; while the Yes votes represented 35.97% of the total registered beehives of those who voted.
  • Voter turnout: 60.96% of all eligible voters voted in the levy referendum (being 1,057 votes received from 1,734 eligible honey producers).
From the Chair, Bruce Wills
7 March 2019

We are sending out an early update as the results from the Commodity Levy vote have now been counted. 

I advise that commercial beekeepers have voted not to support the introduction of a honey levy with only 23.56% voting for the introduction of a commodity levy.

It’s no secret that this is not the outcome I, nor the Board, wanted to see. I believe it will set back the development of the honey industry, but I understand that at present commercial beekeepers are hurting with the erosion in honey prices as a result of over-supply, for all floral types other than mānuka honey. 

We understand that affordability is a real issue for beekeepers at this time. The current season has been disappointing, and many beekeepers are in survival mode and don’t want to incur any extra cost when their revenues are under such pressure.

The industry as a whole must accept the decision the beekeepers have made, but it is a disappointing result for future development of the industry, particularly given the experience and examples of other successful primary sectors who are collectively focused and funded based on everyone contributing financially to industry good outcomes.

With hindsight, even though the levy was considered to be sustainable in either easy or difficult times, it was not the ideal time to put the levy proposition to the vote. However, despite the outcome the challenges and issues faced by the industry remain the same and ApiNZ is committed to continuing to work on these through its work programmes and industry focus groups.

Issues such as working with Government to make compliance requirements less onerous and taking action to see how we can grow the value of our key native monofloral honeys, remain priorities. Other issues such as making sure our bees stay healthy and having strong biosecurity programmes in place both to control and prevent new incursions are also on our agenda.

What this result illustrates is missing, is the common ground that is characteristic of other industries when identifying, deciding and actioning priorities. We recognise that we need to keep working with the wider industry to find that common ground and to build stronger relationships through shared goals and priorities.

We will consider all these points at the next meeting of the Board and look at what types of initiatives are required to secure a strong future for the industry. This will remain our focus as ApiNZ, the industry organisation working for industry good and a strong, sustainable future.

Finally, I would like to thank all ApiNZ members who supported the vote and supported the team over the voting period. Your contribution has been appreciated.
 
 
Copyright © 2019 Apiculture New Zealand. All rights reserved. 

Our mailing address is:
Apiculture New Zealand 
PO Box 10 414
The Terrace
Wellington 6143
New Zealand

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

 

 

Holy moly, I'd thought my No vote would be a token protest.  

Let's hope now that APINZ and those involved can take this onboard, build a consensus, and refine their proposal so we can have another shot at getting it right.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevin moore said:

as above the votes results for the levy, the no's won

Or have the no's lost? depends on how you look at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Or have the no's lost? depends on how you look at it.

No.

Its a clear message from those that bothered to vote , that what  was being pushed was not what the majority wanted . 

 

Now is the time for APINZ to summarise all the feedback to their proposal , sit back and listen , and take on board that they got it wrong on  this occasion , in the eyes of the majority that voted .

 

Look at it as a positive challenge ahead 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Southern North Island beekeepers Inc welcomes today's NO result on the proposed Api New Zealand commodity levy.
 
Southern North Island Beekeepers Inc (SNIB) are relieved at today's result of the ApiNZ commodity levy vote. 
The proposed levy has been soundly rejected with a 76.44% rejection by the industry.
 
SNIB Chair, Gary Sinkinson said 
 
"Thank you beekeepers for your support on the no vote.

We still support the concept of a Commodity Levy but strictly for research only and administered by an independent body similar to the forestry industry.

Our group will now start consultations with the other beekeeping groups including ApiNZ to formulate a proposal that we hope will attract all commercial beekeepers' support.

This could take a year to formulate, and will be set low initially being mindful of the financial conditions we all are faced with."


We are disappointed by ApiNZ reaction to this overwhelming rejection. 

 

Gary is available for interviews by calling 06 3230554.

Gary Sinkinson  email: <sinkybees@xtra.co.nz>

Details on the proposed levy can be seen here:  https://apinz.org.nz/levy/

 

SNIB position on the levy can bee viewed here:  http://www.snibeekeeping.nz/CommodityLevy.php

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Southern North Island beekeepers

Be good if the southern north island beekeeping company's kept there hives in the southern north island!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

We are disappointed by ApiNZ reaction to this overwhelming rejection. 

What reaction Trevour

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

We still support the concept of a Commodity Levy but strictly for research only and administered by an independent body similar to the forestry industry.

Who will administer this process and how will that administration be funded?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen Frederick?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Who will administer this process and how will that administration be funded?

 

A sensible question.  Let's all stick to sensible questions, and leave nasty comments about personalities out of it. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Margaret Anne said:

A sensible question.  Let's all stick to sensible questions, and leave nasty comments about personalities out of it. 

Fair.

Fascinating that the apinz response is claiming that the result was due to perceived affordability, when most commentators were suggesting that it wasn't a levy that was the problem, but rather apinz. Head in the sand refusal to acknowledge reality is consistent with everything we've seen from apinz to date. Hopefully we'll get a levy and nil apinz involvement OR apinz finally acknowledge reality and try to genuinely represent beekeepers.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

What reaction Trevor

 

44 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Fascinating that the apinz response is claiming that the result was due to perceived affordability, when most commentators were suggesting that it wasn't a levy that was the problem, but rather apinz. Head in the sand refusal to acknowledge reality is consistent with everything we've seen from apinz to date. Hopefully we'll get a levy and nil apinz involvement OR apinz finally acknowledge reality and try to genuinely represent beekeepers.

As @tommy dave has said.  It was not a vote on financials, but on the perceived trust of ApiNZ.

It is time ApiNZ had a searching look in the mirror and ask themselves where Beekeepers want the industry to go.  The vote certainly says who they do not want to follow.

 

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

would love to be a fly on the wall when the Minister issues his "please explain" to apinz... wonder if we'll hear about cowboys and wild west again

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

would love to be a fly on the wall when the Minister issues his "please explain" to apinz... wonder if we'll hear about cowboys and wild west again

Fair point.  We now know where the Cowboys are.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

cosultations with the other beekeeping groups including ApiNZ to formulate a proposal that we hope will attract all commercial beekeepers' support.

 

This could take a year to formulate, and will be set low initially being mindful of the financial conditions we all are faced with."

yo, want a hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tommy dave said:

yo, want a hand?

We will be consulting widely.  Please don't rush too fast as we needed to get this vote over with first.  

Please put your thinking caps on.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

We will be consulting widely.  Please don't rush too fast as we needed to get this vote over with first.  

Please put your thinking caps on.

 

We're a tribal species. Co-operation doesn't come naturally.  What is there in the Apinz reaction that SNI is disappointed about ?

Edited by yesbut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

We will be consulting widely.  Please don't rush too fast as we needed to get this vote over with first.  

Please put your thinking caps on.

 

sure thing.

In the meantime, if you guys haven't already contacted the Minister's office directly then get onto it before apinz manage to sell the lie that the result was about affordability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...