Frederick

Commodity Levy / Fight for the Industrys future?

RISK OF CLOSURE

It is very interesting just who is getting government funding - My Apiary Ltd is partly owned by Gallagher Group Ltd with a considerable shareholding who would I think would be possible manufacturers of any gizmos developed, and who must have done well during the dairy boom. My Apiary Ltd got over five times the amount of Massey Uni who are working on AFB diagnosis which I see as one hell of a lot more important.

AGMARDT ANNUAL REPORT & GRANTS APPROVED - Yr End 2018.

Massey University have received funding of $19,950 for;
'Bacteriophage Discovery for AFB Eradication' in the year end 2018.

Agribusiness Innovation Grant - My Apiary Ltd were recipients of $100,000 in the year end 2017.  The final objective of the project was to develop a commercially viable monitoring solution that can be easily adopted within the New Zealand apiculture sector – delivering a leading-edge management decision making tool for beekeeping businesses.
  • Good Info 1

49 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

It is very interesting just who is getting government funding - My Apiary Ltd is partly owned by Gallagher Group Ltd with a considerable shareholding who would I think would be possible manufacturers of any gizmos developed, and who must have done well during the dairy boom. My Apiary Ltd got over five times the amount of Massey Uni who are working on AFB diagnosis which I see as one hell of a lot more important.

Agribusiness Innovation Grant - My Apiary Ltd were recipients of $100,000 in the year end 2017.  The final objective of the project was to develop a commercially viable monitoring solution that can be easily adopted within the New Zealand apiculture sector – delivering a leading-edge management decision making tool for beekeeping businesses.

Wow. With all the privately funded business developing or already running software that’s a bad use of public funds. 

54 minutes ago, Sailabee said:

The Massey team has received other funds for the ABAtE project though:

ABAtE: Active Bacteriophages for AFB Eradication

AFB Management Agency & Massey University

$278,575

Discovery, Sequencing and Application Studies of Bacteriophages as a Bio-protectant against American Foulbrood in New Zealand.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

No idea how discussion keep going back to Research?????????? 

Why? 

Levy money needs to be used broadly. 

What good is any research if our peasant honey sits in the shed? Research so our bees are health, robust, clean eager beavers who continue to fill unwanted drums. 

Market access over seas

Honey promotion

Mite control- methods shared

Unity- procurement of resources/material at a large scale. Even direct from overseas.  

Lobby- imagine asking for decreased fees for RMP audits via a large base of beekeepers.  Or shopping around for another audit provider.  Or meeting with our privileged MPs- who call us cowboys. 

Become professional. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, JohnF said:

Who is going to buy a commercial business tomorrow? In a normal environment, it's likely to be the hobbiest/sideliner that's starting out now.

Only become part of the industry when they take over a commercial business?

Also, while hobbiests do not have to pay the levy - they can still pay the equivalent of 850 kg honey levy to be a member of ApiNZ

Don't think so, I reckon it's most likely business developers are employees of commercials who step side ways. 

• Agree 1

On 3/03/2019 at 8:57 PM, Beeman1 said:

Yep the small guy wants the same vote as a big guys but wants the big guys to pay more lol

So that thinking everyone with one hive gets one vote as a guys with 4000 hives get one vote as well  that's going to work not 

That guys with more to lose should have more votes per hive  and pay more in my books that's fair .

If your livelihood is on the line then it does not matter how many hive you have you are still in the same boat.  Our goat farm is the 2nd biggest producer in terms of milk solids and the lady down the road is the 2nd smallest.  We both get the same vote at a meeting.  If we want change then we have to convince her it is worth it, and not going to disadvantage her business.  Because at the end of the day the big boys will use their power to get there way.  We do all the time. So it has to be 1 person one vote or the big boy will screw the little people. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

45 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

If your livelihood is on the line then it does not matter how many hive you have you are still in the same boat.  Our goat farm is the 2nd biggest producer in terms of milk solids and the lady down the road is the 2nd smallest.  We both get the same vote at a meeting.  If we want change then we have to convince her it is worth it, and not going to disadvantage her business.  Because at the end of the day the big boys will use their power to get there way.  We do all the time. So it has to be 1 person one vote or the big boy will screw the little people. 

Exactly 😊

However , it will take a cataclysmic mindset change to alter that.

One if the many reasons Dairy Goat Co  op is relatively more successful and genuinely humble than other groups in that game 

On 3 March 2019 at 10:23 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

I don’t think hobbyists or even sideliners should have a vote in how industry funds are spent or how industry is run.

You Should be fully relying on bees for your income to have a say in industry matters.

So do you (I mean everyone not just you Frazz) think that we need maybe two beekeeping organizations, i.e. Hobbyists/Sideliners and Commercial each with their own rules/regs etc, nothing stopping each organization from being a associate member of the other.

And just to throw the cat among the pigeons since we on this topic, what about two Commercial organizations Manuka producers and Non- Manuka Producers.

Im just looking at kiwifruit where there is a divide between Green and Gold producers thats all.

Just putting it out there if we are talking about organizations and what differences they may have, you could also include pollination in there if you wanted, but was just trying to keep it simple for discussions sake.

• Like 1

I have no problem with sideliners and hobbyists being part of an organisation but I wouldn’t like them to have voting rights on how a levy is spent 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

So do you (I mean everyone not just you Frazz) think that we need maybe two beekeeping organizations, i.e. Hobbyists/Sideliners and Commercial each with their own rules/regs etc, nothing stopping each organization from being a associate member of the other.

And just to throw the cat among the pigeons since we on this topic, what about two Commercial organizations Manuka producers and Non- Manuka Producers.

Im just looking at kiwifruit where there is a divide between Green and Gold producers thats all.

Just putting it out there if we are talking about organizations and what differences they may have, you could also include pollination in there if you wanted, but was just trying to keep it simple for discussions sake.

I think you are encouraging a good discussion that needs to be had .

Beekeeping is unique because hobbiests and commercials occupy the same space ( sorry for the ridiculously obvious statement ). 

Frazz is quite right. Hobbiests , like myself, should have very little say in commercial industry decisions. That said though , there needs to be clear leadership for hobbiests , as in how to follow the law etc, because just rocking up and buying bee gear from a supplier without some type of direction is never going to promote good beekeeping practice  in hobbiests.

So yes, commercials and hobbiests have different needs and the funding and administration should be clearly defined as separate. 

I think the subject which needs sorting out first is which group do beekeepers prefer to have representing them. This needs to be a democratic process, and not a group appointed by government, because governments  hold office for three years terms , which by default, makes them short sighted , and possibly in a hurry to make an impact before their tenure expires. 

In the event that APINZ does get the yes majority, then I hope they change tack a bit and listen to a lot of valuable advice from on the ground beekeepers, both commercial and hobbiests.

If it's a no, then I'd like this levy vote to be that start of sorting out all that's being discussed here, and I'm optimistic that it will be 

• Like 1

On 3/03/2019 at 10:23 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

I don’t think hobbyists or even sideliners should have a vote in how industry funds are spent or how industry is run.

You Should be fully relying on bees for your income to have a say in industry matters.

Exactly frazzal

Often when Im trying to get my head around logic I reduce it to the ridiculous which is the worst case senerio for a given policy or potential outcome.

Imagine a situation where the Hobbyist vote out sized the commercial vote and commercial Beeks where operating in an policy environment dictated by hobbyist who while being great individuals are going to have total different priorities to Tax paying, employer Commercials.
Using this rational the distinction between Hobbyist and Commercial voting power is important.

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Hmm, but the many who do both non and manuka would have to pay double fees? That's hardly fair either given the current market challenges for non. 

• Agree 2

On 13/02/2019 at 6:20 PM, Margaret Anne said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  There is absolutely no onus on a non commercial beekeeper to belong to ApiNZ.  Amongst the non commercial sector are hobbyists.  It is incredibly important that ApiNZ takes them on board.  Hobby beekeeping is the fastest growing hobby in NZ.  There are huge numbers of hobbyists in the urban environment, semi lifestyle and rural environment.  In terms of biosecurity, synchronizing varroa treatments, AFB incursions, and all the other issues that are important to communicate on, it is incredibly important that these people are on board with ApiNZ

I agree that hobby sector is growing and many do not know the what and how as being novice.

If we say that there should be a leading organization to represent all beekeepers then should not we expect a guidance/support from the organization towards the hobby sector too?

Since the hobby/novice beekeepers generally are not timing the work correctly(lack of experience) they are considered a big risk for the industry(i.e. AFB, varroa reinfestation).

Why not to have a step by step guide updated weekly and regionalised to support the hobby sector in maintaining healthy beehives? With such a support a correct management can be achieved on national level at the right time. Sure, there will be few who are not cooperative by nature however the whole industry will benefit from such a plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I think a hobbyist group with a threshold of memberhip (say 50+) could vote?  Presently there is a pretty good network of hobbyist working together. Just the commercials are fluffing around looking after their own nests. 

Non and Manuka producers.  The manuka producers do have totally different needs ( protecting brand, poaching, over stocking, MPI standards) 

This is where I get a bit nervous- how much of the levy will get used on these particular issues?  

Don't like the idea of duplicating separate groups.  How about some way of adding a 'premium' on the levy for the exclusive use of Manuka issues. That way Manuka producers can decide to pay the 'premium'' so they know that the extra money is used for their own cause. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Since the hobby/novice beekeepers generally are not timing the work correctly(lack of experience) they are considered a big risk for the industry(i.e. AFB, varroa reinfestation

I would like to add, commercials do the above quite happily. I feel, hobbyists tend to seek answers and like to join a group- more likely to be supported by members. 

Commercials are supposed to 'know' what to do but quite often stuff up.  The commercial can be lone rangers who don't talk regularly with any other beekeeper/s. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Why not to have a step by step guide updated weekly and regionalised to support the hobby sector in maintaining healthy beehives? With such a support a correct management can be achieved on national level at the right time. Sure, there will be few who are not cooperative by nature however the whole industry will benefit from such a plan.

nothing stopping that. I know of facebook groups, for example, where the mods occasionally do things like post an announcement along the lines of 'really should be considering getting your autumn varroa treatment in about now if you haven't already!'.

Speaking of which...

• Like 1

The levy money is chump change, $2 million...that will not go far.  Even with the government matching some of the research funding.  You get sweet F all for 1/2 million in research dollars. 

It is the control of the industry that is the real prize, the rights to write the rules. That is what the big boys are after.  

• Agree 5
  • Disagree 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, flash4cash said:

The levy money is chump change, $2 million...that will not go far.  Even with the government matching some of the research funding.  You get sweet F all for 1/2 million in research dollars. 

It is the control of the industry that is the real prize, the rights to write the rules. That is what the big boys are after.  

So a $2.00per kg levy is better in your books, Im happy with that.

$2 million is hell of a lot better than $20

Edited by Dennis Crowley
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

So a $2.00per kg levy is better in your books, Im happy with that.

$2 million is hell of a lot better than $20

Who was the major benefactor of the last round of industry funded research?

MANUKA 

Who can afford it right now?

MANUKA...

Milk that cow. If you consider it fair that 10 cent per kg on $4 honey then this is 2.5%. Applying the same logic yet this time only to mono manuka and multi then you could easily raise your $20 million ($30 kg average assumption) apply it at export point and you will capture 9,500 tons this way. So roughly half of all honey produced. 

Let's assume a more palatable 50 cents per kg then you would have just under $5 million (on total mono manuka and multi exports of $275 million). Or 1.67%

2.5 x your $2 million  and 10 x more fair.

All the money raised should go into non manuka market development.  Then we can all afford to contribute to a levy..then we will have a strong and balanced industry. 

**these numbers are just a best guest from memory of nz honey export and average price**

The principle remains the same.  And everyone gets a say. 1 shareholder 1 vote regardless of size or honey produced. 

• Disagree 1

Mods can you please delete the above I have made a calculation error.  I will repost a correct version.  Cheers

On ‎5‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 11:26 PM, flash4cash said:

Crikey I'm glad the votes done and wait for the result like everyone: Hopefully its not a 'Heads we lose / Tails we lose' scenario!

Thought it pertinent to requote the following paragraghs from my opening post:

Forget the Manuka producers should pay more perspective: Just set the levy at a level accommodating to all (I suggest 10c/kg fits the bill) or do we bitch endlessly of the inequities of various industry income streams!                               

Forget the Manuka’s ruining the industry perspective as follows:             

Manuka’s not responsible for the Honeydew, Bush-blend and Pasture-blend price collapse; it has however been responsible for providing those producers considerable additional income over the last few years. The fact blenders can no longer pay over the odds for these lines doesn’t cancel the previous benefits received.

On 5/03/2019 at 1:47 PM, flash4cash said:

Sometimes it's quite nice getting screwed !

When are the results of the Levy coming through?    I thought There would have been a majority voting online and the closing date was last week.  Why does it take so long to get the results?

22 minutes ago, Bees said:

When are the results of the Levy coming through?    I thought There would have been a majority voting online and the closing date was last week.  Why does it take so long to get the results?

If you looked on the Apinz website you'd see that the published timeline has the results being announced on 12 March.

• Agree 2

Thanks - but why does it take so long - surely the results will already be known by the powers that bee’  

• Agree 2

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.