Frederick

Commodity Levy / Fight for the Industrys future?

RISK OF CLOSURE

20 hours ago, David Yanke said:

Why was 3-PLA ever chosen as one of the Manuka Markers- just had a batch of straight Kanuka test at 3100 for 3-PLA.  It is an amazing marker for indicating purity of Kanuka, it does nothing to indicate the purity of Manauka, only adds to the confusion, and allows fraudulent behaviour by the blending masters out there.

Can I ask what the 2map and other markers were for this honey. 

38 minutes ago, Jamo said:

Can I ask what the 2map and other markers were for this honey. 

The other markers were below  reporting thresholds as was the DHA, and the MGO was a massive 6(reporting threshold is 4).  It had virtually no Manuka in it.  Kanuka and Manuka flowering are totally separate up here.

• Good Info 1

The levy vote closes today at lunch time, some thoughts for your weekend.

If its a YES vote start thinking of the people who you would like to see sitting around the board table for you to act on your behalf, so you can vote for them.

If its a no vote, then all who voted no, whats your plan and when is it going to be implemented and how are you going to fund it, let us all know.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

If its a YES vote start thinking of the people who you would like to see sitting around the board table for you to act on your behalf, so you can vote for them.

If its a no vote, then all who voted no, whats your plan and when is it going to be implemented and how are you going to fund it, let us all know.

Because i Will only ever have  4 hives i decided this levy issue was none of my business.

If there is a yes vote will the board ever turn its attention to hobbyist beeks and start to regulate them , hive numbers , location etc .

What do you think .?

2 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

The idea of a commodity levy is perfectly fine - in fact I think MOST people agree that it is part of the plan going forward.    How this particular commodity levy offer was presented is the problem.   Sure, there were roadshows and talk fests, but these were almost all done during a time when the entire industry was far more bouyant and for some, the sudden truncation of sales made for different short term objectives coupled with the onset of the spring and early summer time, effort, energy and money input to getting the new season off the ground take precedence.  Then the race to maximise crop and dodge adverse weather etc etc etc.   About now, there is breathing space and due to the poor crops many are finished up with the grind hours slightly earlier.    Faced with the prospect of a levy on stock (yes from the next season not this and last) rather than actual sale proceeds became one of the major contention points as I see it.   The widening inequity gap of volume vs value and the reality of who the large levy payers would be (non-manuka producers) and how that could also split the levy allocation decisions on where the funds should be applied going ahead.    I can't help but wonder (and the results will be known soon anyhow) if the levy had been laid out as a % of kg sold (like I believe all other primary levies are) then it would have had an easier passage.  But then again, the inequity comes for the fore from the other side perspective.     Maybe, if the levy does indeed go ahead, then it is truly time for a concentrated effort of those who opposed it to get board representation to ensure democracy (read - the views of the grass roots businesses) gets properly exercised.   As Dennis Crowley states above - some thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

While we wait for the levy results and need something to debate. 

What would an industry organization look like to you? 

How would you fund it, voluntary or captured or other?

How would you set up the organization and get ideas passed?

We have roughly 8000 reg beekeepers aprox 6000 hobbyist and aprox 2000 commercial (based on afb figures)

Commercial have different needs/wants from hobbyist etc.

Corporate beeks to mum n pop beeks.

Just interested in any thoughts

How would you do it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

How would you do it.

I'd wait for @CraBee to set something up.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

I wonder what will happen (or more likely, not happen) here Dennis. And a comment from Daley comes to mind:

"To me, the safer option is to continue on the path we are currently on where a heap of people are going broke".

I guess he security is in the knowing your current situation . . .and I hope that situation holds or better, improves for those affected

10 hours ago, JohnF said:

I wonder what will happen (or more likely, not happen) here Dennis. And a comment from Daley comes to mind:

"To me, the safer option is to continue on the path we are currently on where a heap of people are going broke".

I guess he security is in the knowing your current situation . . .and I hope that situation holds or better, improves for those affected

I just love the scare comments that are already coming out before the vote is actually counted.

On 1/03/2019 at 9:06 AM, Dennis Crowley said:

We'll have to conduct a survey and then take a vote on whether to conduct another survey as to what the populus want. Should be sorted in a couple of years !

• Haha 1

So in short, once again It's "every man for himself".

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

If that is what people want then we would have nothing or no one to complain about on this forum, we would have to chat/argue about recipes and cats. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

If that is what people want then we would have nothing or no one to complain about on this forum, we would have to chat/argue about recipes and cats. 

23 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

And life would get real boring again.

46 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

Do you have any good cat recipes?

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I just love the scare comments that are already coming out before the vote is actually counted.

Thanks Trevor. It was more a comment (made by someone else) that seemed a constant feeling among those voting no - not to mention the scare comments from the pages posted by SNI. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black there

But more, given the feelings to move things in a forward direction, in the instance that it *is* a vote of NO, then I hope the ideas and collective work keeps moving forward. It would be easy to sit back and leave things to meander onwards/downwards/wherever.

1 hour ago, JohnF said:

Thanks Trevor. It was more a comment (made by someone else) that seemed a constant feeling among those voting no - not to mention the scare comments from the pages posted by SNI. A bit of the pot calling the kettle black there

But more, given the feelings to move things in a forward direction, in the instance that it *is* a vote of NO, then I hope the ideas and collective work keeps moving forward. It would be easy to sit back and leave things to meander onwards/downwards/wherever.

Once again a quick dig before saying anything.

All good. But it was not the SNI who put up the proposal.

36 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Once again a quick dig before saying anything.

All good. But it was not the SNI who put up the proposal.

Yes, a quick dig Trevor - but I think you’ll find your’s was first. 

No, SNI did not put up the proposal but did post a lot of scare comments - but then again, who didn’t. 

My comments (and Dennis’ I would say) are aimed at provoking further discussion and motivation to move forward and improve the collective good, really whether or not the vote passes. Let’s hope it’s not: 

6 hours ago, jamesc said:

5 minutes ago, JohnF said:

My comments (and Dennis’ I would say) are aimed at provoking further discussion and motivation to move forward and improve the collective good, really whether or not the vote passes. Let’s hope it’s not: 

I agree. We need a lot of further discussion to figure out a way forward for the whole industry. This will not happen until all groups sit around a table and leave all old baggage at the door.

It is time to talk together. Not be talked at by any group or individual.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

who one. 

I think we all lost.

59 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I agree. We need a lot of further discussion to figure out a way forward for the whole industry. This will not happen until all groups sit around a table and leave all old baggage at the door.

It is time to talk together. Not be talked at by any group or individual.

Again, this should happen regardless of the vote outcome.  

28 minutes ago, jamesc said:

I think we all lost.

Not yet . . . we’ll know in a few months ( based on the discussions above that Trevor mentions above)

37 minutes ago, nab said:

who one. 

? a few weeks before we know, we were hoping to have the results by the 12th if not sooner.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamesc said:

I think we all lost.

several things ... 

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

waht abot wo-man? 

7 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

waht abot wo-man? 

Man , woman .....all are the same in this era of gender equality.   

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.