Frederick

Commodity Levy / Fight for the Industrys future?

RISK OF CLOSURE

I’m going to jump in here and apologise to @Ali.

There was no intention on my behalf to stir up anything other than clarification in my own mind.

This stems back to the older NZBees site where avatar pics were more common than they are now and for some reason unknown to me, I have confused her with someone’s old avatar of the opposite sex.

From this stemmed a concern that calling a him a her , may be incorrect .

Clearly my mistake.

Perhaps I should have approached the situation with more caution , or let it be. 

Is is this an acceptable explanation and apology for my misguidedness?

1 minute ago, M4tt said:

I’m going to jump in here and apologise to @Ali.

There was no intention on my behalf to stir up anything other than clarification in my own mind.

This stems back to the older NZBees site where avatar pics were more common than they are now and for some reason unknown to me, I have confused her with someone’s old avatar of the opposite sex.

From this stemmed a concern that calling a him a her , may be incorrect .

Clearly my mistake.

Perhaps I should have approached the situation with more caution , or let it be. 

Is is this an acceptable explanation and apology for my misguidedness?

I believe so.

I can understand how a query about gender can be merely wanting to use the correct word. Him/Her.

The intent was not malicious and I’m sure it won’t happen again 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Grant said:

We get alerted when an opposing view is made, but not alerted when someone is being picked on - what's that all about you lot?

Maybe because most of us didn't think there was any bullying going on ?  Maybe we were all fed up with the endless squeaking wheel ? 

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Grant said:

I made it very clear why I came into the discussion. Don't push my buttons Keith, because my button has slightly more kick to it.

No worries Grant understand your position and while I stand by my comment I'm not interested in pushing anyone's buttons!

I suggest there's been a reasonable sharing of perspectives particularly later in the forum and I repeat: The most negative perspective in this forum has been the incorrect comments made in relation to the APINZ Hobbyist Rep which I note no moderator / administrator picked up on nor commented on (I suggest a personal apology is warranted).

Re: What I do not like is repeated asking of the same questions that have been repeatedly answered. To keep asking the same questions is to try and tie up peoples' time to keep answering the same questions. This (to me) is trolling. I  wasn't aware I was repeatedly asked questions I only recall expressing my opinion and answering questions? So be it!

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Frederick said:

No worries Grant understand your position and while I stand by my comment I'm not interested in pushing anyone's buttons!

I suggest there's been a reasonable sharing of perspectives particularly later in the forum and I repeat: The most negative perspective in this forum has been the incorrect comments made in relation to the APINZ Hobbyist Rep which I note no moderator / administrator picked up on nor commented on (I suggest a personal apology is warranted).

Re: What I do not like is repeated asking of the same questions that have been repeatedly answered. To keep asking the same questions is to try and tie up peoples' time to keep answering the same questions. This (to me) is trolling. I  wasn't aware I was repeatedly asked questions I only recall expressing my opinion and answering questions? So be it!

Keith, that underlined quote is from me. It is an explanation to Grant  . . .but it was not referring to you, if you read my comments re: trolling through this thread

7 minutes ago, JohnF said:

Keith, that underlined quote is from me. It is an explanation to Grant  . . .but it was not referring to you, if you read my comments re: trolling through this thread

Good as gold John

2 hours ago, Grant said:

I'm only at page 5 of this discussion and catching up due to the moderation note, but all I can see from you Mr F is repetative trolling of people who dont agree with you. Let's hope I dont find much more on the next 10 pages because I'm beginning to get bored.

Will you marry me @Grant 😍

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Marriage made in heaven Frazz

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Maybe because most of us didn't think there was any bullying going on ?  Maybe we were all fed up with the endless squeaking wheel ? 

Starting to feel a bit like Kindergarten here!!  We should all go and stand in the corner and think about what we’ve done (or said)!!

24 minutes ago, Ted said:

Starting to feel a bit like Kindergarten here!!  We should all go and stand in the corner and think about what we’ve done (or said)!!

Just a quick reminder to all.

This forum belongs to @Grant.  We live here and play in his sandbox.  

He makes the rules and we all have to live within those boundaries.

Some of us actually make annual donations to Grant for the privilege of playing here. Some just come and play for free. (we are cool with that).

Grant has also asked 5 regular forum contributors to assist him with moderating the forum.

Sometimes we seem to come down hard on offenders and sometimes we let things go too far.  We are only human.  But I have been called a lot of other things also.

As I was quite involved with this thread I let things slip by, that I should have bounced.

If anyone is unsure of the rules of engagement, then I suggest that you go back and re-read the introduction threads.

Thanks everyone

Trev the moderator.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Ooops was looking for nzbees not this dating site.  Sorry!

• Haha 3

Nice weather we're having. A drop of rain would be nice too.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Just checking on how to identify the posts for which I received warning points for inappropriate language (one I think) and for abusive behaviour (a large number apparently?). Aiming to minimise the risk of raising ire again by checking what raised it this time. Cheers

Edited by tommy dave

I've spent 8 hours on this topic and after discussions with the team we've done some tidying up. We're not averse to opinions. All posts are personal opinions and that is what allows the content to build, but that has to be balanced, rational and where possible accurate.

I don't actually care what side of the fence you are on in terms of debate, but you need to be civil. I have to ensure the site is run within the correct interpretation of the rules and that is what is enforced. Don't combine forces or tag team your views to turn the discussion into a verbal wresting match.

Post accuracy can be debated from  both sides of the fence, so back up your claims where possible. If you make a mistake and want to retract something report it for consideration. If you name an individual you best be darned sure what you are saying is correct, because you will be the one who has made the claim. Remember this site is publicly visible across the globe. If you say something then consider that permanently said.

Calling people liars, saying they are dishonest, accusing them of trolling or saying their posts are rubbish or anything else along those lines is considered a personal attack. Repeating yourself (even the main complainants have been at fault here and I deem the entire thread to be 50/50 on both sides in this regard) not only devalues your contribution but it gets boring and is regarded as trolling. Replying to yourself is regarded as post bumping or multiposting and is frowned upon - learn to multi quote properly.

I've said this many times over the years, other sites don't discuss their moderation or administration, it just happens. The team here aren't used to that, in the main because they know most of you IRL, which makes it much harder. Because its highlighted, it feels like kindy or big brother and that's just one of the downsides we have to deal with. However, questioning why something was done or showing your displeasure over a staff action within a public post is a definite no.

Refresh yourself with the post guidelines, site rules and instructions for newbies. Multiposting, trolling, swearing, making accusations, personal attacks have all raised their head here and have all been present in this topic. A range of tools are available including warnings, deletion, topic bans, post moderation or site bans are available as part of the staff toolkit. If past occurrences are anything to go by there will now be a heightened period of awareness as the team are reminded about being proactive. If you feel something needs action then please use the report icon for each post.

Now lets get back to some healthy debate.

• Like 3
  • Good Info 1

15 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

Just checking on how to identify the posts for which I received warning points for inappropriate language (one I think) and for abusive behaviour (a large number apparently?). Aiming to minimise the risk of raising ire again by checking what raised it this time. Cheers

If you look on your warning panel it should show the topic title - click on that and it goes to the post referenced (unless it been deleted).

• Good Info 1

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

If you look on your warning panel it should show the topic title - click on that and it goes to the post referenced (unless it been deleted).

Thanks @Grant, hadn't realised those were post links not thread links. Apologies for contributing to the need for what sounds like a time.consuming moderating session

Edited by tommy dave
Typos
  • Like 3

Keep up all the good work with this forum.  Much appreciated.

PS - Sorry but have absolutely no idea right now, why I can't extend my beekeeping skills to turning off the underline function!

Edited by Maggie James
Fixed underlining

On 19/02/2019 at 7:02 PM, CraBee said:

"The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go" got no likes, not one. 

For those who didn't get it It was a parody of the levy vote.

It was somewhat more interesting, I thought at least, than talking about the levy.

Seems like the jokes on me. 

Ah The Clash ...... I'm more into country, but the lyrics are perfect and sum up the situation perfectly !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Margaret Anne said:

PS - Sorry but have absolutely no idea right now, why I can't extend my beekeeping skills to turning off the underline function!

@Margaret Anne have a look at the menu bar in the little window your are typing in.  There is a U with underline.  Press it and all fixed.

17 hours ago, Daley said:

I can understand how a query about gender can be merely wanting to use the correct word. Him/Her.

The intent was not malicious and I’m sure it won’t happen again 😉

So if you're attending a party and you're conversing in depth with a Dath Vader costumed person using a voice synthesiser you're not going to wonder who this person really is ?

What's the difference between that scenario and this forum ?  

Edited by yesbut

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

So if you're attending a party and you're conversing in depth with a Dath Vader costumed person using a voice synthesiser you're not going to wonder who this person really is ?

Haha I’m a millennial, don’t you know we don’t care about gender anymore

• Haha 5

Currently at brunch, I am sitting at a table beside two women who are harping on about Manuka honey and making some incredibly bold claims which just simply aren’t true.

I can only assume at least one or if not both of them got out of the blue corporate truck covered in sign writing across the road.

While it was entertaining to listen to, it worry’s me that it could be these people who may end up with a voice at the table, I was tempted to correct a few of their facts but I decided I would rather sit in silence and enjoy the free entertainment that came with my breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Daley said:

Haha I’m a millennial, don’t you know we don’t care about gender anymore

Right, I see. So you'll call your next son Sue ........

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Actually it wasnt the question per se that bothered me, it was the antics it led to in the followup posts,

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

@Margaret Anne have a look at the menu bar in the little window your are typing in.  There is a U with underline.  Press it and all fixed.

Thanks Trev.  It just wouldn't compute and I needed to get to the grafting yard. 

• Like 1

Be advised that this topic is currently being actively monitored by moderators and it may be locked at any time.