Jump to content
frazzledfozzle

Honey demand, facts not speculation

Recommended Posts

If it has not crystalised by now then I am sure it is not Southern Rata.Mine goies hard uncapped on the beehive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bighands said:

If it has not crystalised by now then I am sure it is not Southern Rata.Mine goies hard uncapped on the beehive.

It would be mostly northern rata .

Does pohutukawa set hard too ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jamesc said:

to be greeted by a sixteen point stag also having a look at the bees. We stared  at each other for a few seconds ...... and acknowledged each others beauty , before doing a runner into the bush !!

Instead of running off into the bush you should have sat down and enjoyed the experience a while.. 

Many moons ago in my youth we would be chasing wild pigs around up there and were always amazed at the quality of the stag heads, I always put it down to Rakaia bloodlines, guess a bit of farm genetics here and there now too. 

If I remember right it was old Bateseys place then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaihoka,I believe that Pohutukawa set hard as well, but I have had no experience with this tree maybe someone else can answer that question.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kaihoka said:

It would be mostly northern rata .

Does pohutukawa set hard too ?

 our pohutukawa/manuka bush honey sets semi solid, almost naturally creamed with a small crystal. 

 You can scoop it out of the jar with a knife but the spreads on your bread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pohutukawa granulates  within a few days of coming off the hives.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Instead of running off into the bush you should have sat down and enjoyed the experience a while.. 

Many moons ago in my youth we would be chasing wild pigs around up there and were always amazed at the quality of the stag heads, I always put it down to Rakaia bloodlines, guess a bit of farm genetics here and there now too. 

If I remember right it was old Bateseys place then. 

Well yeah .... OK, so here's the scenario.... me and Spotty Dog taking the short cut to the bees up through the native when all of a sudden  there's a crash and a bang in the trees and the loudest roar in yer ear of a jealous boy who is not impressed at someone moving in on his  his harem .... OMG ....  Spotty Dog jumped on me, I friggin nearly dropped dead, and Big Boy blazed a trail west with his big head.  

But yes, beautifull traditional head  ..... Eldest boy wants to go hunting .... I am happy to leave him be  for another more relaxed chat in a day or so through the bino's.

And besides , I'd prefer to put tender young fawn on the BBQ rater than tough and stinky dad.

 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nikki watts said:

 our pohutukawa/manuka bush honey sets semi solid, almost naturally creamed with a small crystal. 

 You can scoop it out of the jar with a knife but the spreads on your bread. 

Is that what you gave me .

It had a very nice creamy texture .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is that what you gave me .

It had a very nice creamy texture .

Yes it was. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/04/2019 at 8:03 PM, Bushy said:

 

Probably from us. I better pay some money so you can private message me.

As an aside, I always thought Rata crystallised very quickly, but never extracted any. 

This is my pollen report from last season and a photo of the honey now .

Instructions: General Pollen Report
Colour: N/A
Moisture: 15%
Total Pollen Count:            182,500/10 grams honey
 
Pollen Type    %        Total       
Rata or Pohutakawa (similar)            46%       
Brassica            24%      
Mahoe            14%       
Assorted unknown            16%       

IMG_20190403_124029.thumb.jpg.16830da759d4519d8bfb79982ebd7594.jpg

It has not crystalised at all .

The bubbles are cause I just poured it from a big jar .

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/04/2019 at 5:22 PM, Maru Hoani said:

Better than my $5. 50 I'm getting for 40 odd drums

 

How are you going with manuka sale this year Maru - multi and mono?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/04/2019 at 11:23 AM, CraBee said:

 

How are you going with manuka sale this year Maru - multi and mono?

$23 less per kg for my mono manuka  this year, I'm looking at 100k turnover down from last season, roughly anyway but my house is almost finished and I'm currently dept free so I'm happy as could  🐝 

On 3/04/2019 at 12:47 PM, kaihoka said:

This is my pollen report from last season and a photo of the honey now .

Instructions: General Pollen Report
Colour: N/A
Moisture: 15%
Total Pollen Count:            182,500/10 grams honey
 
Pollen Type    %        Total       
Rata or Pohutakawa (similar)            46%       
Brassica            24%      
Mahoe            14%       
Assorted unknown            16%       

IMG_20190403_124029.thumb.jpg.16830da759d4519d8bfb79982ebd7594.jpg

It has not crystalised at all .

The bubbles are cause I just poured it from a big jar .

Looks amazing

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Maru Hoani I could send you a jar of the honey  to try if you like .

It is probably very different than your honey .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Maru Hoani I could send you a jar of the honey  to try if you like .

It is probably very different than your honey .

That would be great, I can swap you a jar of mine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

That would be great, I can swap you a jar of mine 

I can not message you because you are not paid up 

But my mobile is 0274164736 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I can not message you because you are not paid up 

But my mobile is 0274164736 

 

I'll message you tomorrow, I'm currently out of coverage.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

$23 less per kg for my mono manuka  this year, 

 

Thing i don't get with this is why?

 

I was expecting that with tougher standards and less manuka on the market, prices would go up. Why are they going down?

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

 

Thing i don't get with this is why?

 

I was expecting that with tougher standards and less manuka on the market, prices would go up. Why are they going down?

Ask @Adam Boot
One senerio could be that there might be resistance to selling bulk and the demand for packaged has waned since the bulk buyers of old cant make a buck from jars.
just an idea I plucked out of fresh air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Alastair said:

 

Thing i don't get with this is why?

 

I was expecting that with tougher standards and less manuka on the market, prices would go up. Why are they going down?

 

Alastair try this link:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very good post Adam and is what I have been hearing as well.

It frustrates me that beekeepers don't see the connection we have with the market place, and don't see/act like that all their income for them to do all the other stuff they want to do with their bee hives comes from the market place. this us(beekeepers) and them(packers honey buyers) attitude has to stop if we are to grow and keep our place in the markets at good prices and volume.

What did you see in regards to non manuka honeys?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good one Adam
One day soon we may also see some sort of claim that our Honey is produced by "Non Medicated Bees"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Philbee said:

Good one Adam
One day soon

 

 

...One day soon we might be able to sell our honey :) 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...