frazzledfozzle

Honey demand, facts not speculation

Some prices from a friend who sent out some feelers.

non Manuka $4

multi Manuka $6

mono Manuka $15-$20

• Thanks 2
  • Good Info 2

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

non Manuka $4

multi Manuka $6

mono Manuka $15-$20

The future for us is about what I call "Dodging the Dinosaurs"

A Dinosaur is an entity that has not changed with the times.
These entities will expect the primary producer to subsidize their inadequacies.

We need to scour the globe for progressive and highly efficient supply lines/ market outlets.

I cant wait to get amongst this but Im tied up for 2 years.

• Like 1

It can be better than that, i know of some multi flora getting $8.50 recently.

• Good Info 1

On 29/03/2019 at 7:05 PM, frazzledfozzle said:

non Manuka $4

multi Manuka $6

mono Manuka $15-$20

Anyone sell any yet??  Anyhow, I also heard from a man - he got $30 odd for manuka (not sure if mono) lately.  

So it all varies a lot. And hush.

On 29/03/2019 at 9:01 PM, Alastair said:

It can be better than that, i know of some multi flora getting $8.50 recently.

Geez- not much left in Mr Piggy once the site fees go out and the rest.  Probably harder to sell multi than straight clover. 

• Like 1

Prices have come back but from what I've seen four dollars is way less than what  reasonable buyers are paying.

2 minutes ago, john berry said:

Prices have come back but from what I've seen four dollars is way less than what  reasonable buyers are paying.

LOL, you got a reasonable buyer? 

Yes, but like most packers they are being careful about how much stock they have and are looking after their regular supplies first.

Yep .... we is selling wild flower honey for $12/kg ........ fill yer own pot at the end of the road. And the customers tell me it's quite cheap !!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Yep .... we is selling wild flower honey for $12/kg ........ fill yer own pot at the end of the road. And the customers tell me it's quite cheap !!

Do you have borage  (vipers bugloss ) honey ?

27 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Bushy will have a mountain. Spotted his big truck in Molesworth  week before last...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yesbut said:

@Bushy will have a mountain. Spotted his big truck in Molesworth  week before last...

Only found out you were on gate after I got home. Disappointed I couldn't catch up. Tried last week but you had gone home.

I don't need an excuse for a coffee if you are ever passing home base.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bushy said:

Only found out you were on gate after I got home. Disappointed I couldn't catch up. Tried last week but you had gone home.

I don't need an excuse for a coffee if you are ever passing home base.

Is @yesbut right .?

Do. You  have  a mountain of the stuff .? 

If you do have a mountain of it what price do you want for it?

On 17/02/2019 at 2:02 PM, Alastair said:

Wildly optimistic I am afraid.

Bit like me my honey this season is various bush varieties, and a bit of manuka none of which quite makes the grade. Pretty much nobody wants it except 2 buyers one offering $4, the other $7. So I made my choice beggars can't be choosers. Won't say who the buyer is but originally $7 got mentioned, then when we talked again later he said "well i got to sell it first". He is pretty interested in just what honey type each batch is and expresses pleasure when blendable types come in, but always mentions "you don't get any more for it though". 

Anyhow at $7 i can live. Not well, but i can live.

Better than my $5. 50 I'm getting for 40 odd drums

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Maru since you are in "manuka land", is it true the rumours about a lot of what used to be manuka in your area being rejected under the new rules?

10 hours ago, kaihoka said:

No Borage.

Well I'm mystified by the whole bloomin shemozzle of selling honey . As a shopkeeper I'm selling honey at $12/kg. Then I see on the TV a Hui up north of Auckland to debate the fact that $80/kg honey has been downgraded to a $12/kg Bush honey, and yet most packers are offering a lower price than that. So ..... who is pulling whose plonker here.

I think very shortly we can shut the shed door for the year and keep a low profile in our new accomadation. I got it real cheap. Photo to follow.

Mama commented the other day that she wanted to go on a family camping holiday....

38626D5C-095B-4369-A060-4922CE2F8234.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

@jamesc have you got a nice trailer park to live out your new financial reality in .

Posted (edited)

Any reasonable offers considered. I need to get a warrant first before we can travel  !

Edited by jamesc

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Is @yesbut right .?

Do. You  have  a mountain of the stuff .? 

More like a small hill.

Its a great place to eat your lunch and a massive bonus of no cell phone coverage, but really tough on crops.

Three years ago a -5 frost 1st week of January killed all the flowers less than a week into harvest. Last year an extreme heat wave stopped flow like a knife mid January, and this year it didn't rain for three months so flowers stopped producing after a week.

And honestly I don't give a toss about those problems as money has never been my motivator as I love the environment and dealing with the various crews working the farms up there.

Its been a while since I had a decent feed of Rata so we might be able to swap.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Too right Bushy ...... the money's garbage but we stick with because of the fringe benefits .... today has been stupendeously beautifull  .... warm and not too much wind . We brought in more honey and not a bee robbing the load. And then in the evening I took a walk up the hill to look at some bees we pulled honey off last week, to be greeted by a sixteen point stag also having a look at the bees. We stared  at each other for a few seconds ...... and acknowledged each others beauty , before doing a runner into the bush !!

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 5

@Bushy  rata is just as unreliable .

Non this yr but I still have some of last yrs . 

Still has not crystalised .

I love borage honey . I used to buy it a lot  from the same crowd each year .

I am not sure I can remember the name . I think Molesworth  was somewhere on the label.

10 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Too right Bushy ...... the money's garbage but we stick with because of the fringe benefits .... today has been stupendeously beautifull  .... warm and not too much wind . We brought in more honey and not a bee robbing the load. And then in the evening I took a walk up the hill to look at some bees we pulled honey off last week, to be greeted by a sixteen point stag also having a look at the bees. We stared  at each other for a few seconds ...... and acknowledged each others beauty , before doing a runner into the bush !!

I wouldn't swap that experiance for a truck load of Manuka eight days a week. Might not pay the bills, but Pure magic.

• Like 1

I'd contmplate it for a load of mono ..... multi ..... I think I'd talk to the Stag again .

13 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

@Bushy  rata is just as unreliable .

Non this yr but I still have some of last yrs . 

Still has not crystalised .

I love borage honey . I used to buy it a lot  from the same crowd each year .

I am not sure I can remember the name . I think Molesworth  was somewhere on the label.

Probably from us. I better pay some money so you can private message me.

As an aside, I always thought Rata crystallised very quickly, but never extracted any. 

35 minutes ago, Bushy said:

Probably from us. I better pay some money so you can private message me.

As an aside, I always thought Rata crystallised very quickly, but never extracted any. 

So did I .

However I had a pollen test on the honey .

Over 50 % rata  and mahoe and brassica and unknown .

Rata has very little pollen , I was told the percentage of rata would be higher .