Jump to content
frazzledfozzle

Honey demand, facts not speculation

Recommended Posts

Traceability

The Minister of Primary Industries at a recent conference gave Beekeepers the choice.

Track and trace the bees or the bee hive.

The major reason was  Biosecurity but also Food Safety.

There have been a number of significant incidents where traceability has assisted MPI.

The best example; A farmer used endosulfan on cattle as an insecticide - South Korean residue testing of meat picked it up and the farmer was successfully prosecuted. 

Two years ago a Swiss researcher using honey samples (4 from NZ) which showed neonicotinoid residues in the honey.

3 samples came from the Canterbury foothills, but there was no data on where those hives had been used. No  credibility in that study.

Traceability is going to be significantly more important and many Commercials are already doing extensive tracking of their hive equipment and crops of honey. Barcoding and RF ID of hive equipment is a good example.

 

I can see where a mango icecream maker or juice maker can have clear traceability back to the grower. He has the grower fruit tray identification and he can record that against the mango ice cream batch number. Tracking complete.

As for what the Aussies actually do I cannot comment on that.

Edited by Don Mac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kiwi Bee said:

Do not take it so seriously @Philbee. Obviously it will not work that way. I just tried to point it out how silly is this traceability thing - fooling the consumer and expecting to fall for it.

Fooling the consumer???  I think you will find it is the consumer (via their countries importing authority) who is demanding traceability amongst other things eg twice yearly RMP audits.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Don Mac said:

Traceability

The Minister of Primary Industries at a recent conference gave Beekeepers the choice.

Track and trace the bees or the bee hive.

The major reason was  Biosecurity but also Food Safety.

There have been a number of significant incidents where traceability has assisted MPI.

The best example; A farmer used endosulfan on cattle as an insecticide - South Korean residue testing of meat picked it up and the farmer was successfully prosecuted. 

Two years ago a Swiss researcher using honey samples (4 from NZ) which showed neonicotinoid residues in the honey.

3 samples came from the Canterbury foothills, but there was no data on where those hives had been used. No  credibility in that study.

Traceability is going to be significantly more important and many Commercials are already doing extensive tracking of their hive equipment and crops of honey. Barcoding and RF ID of hive equipment is a good example.

 

I can see where a mango icecream maker or juice maker can have clear traceability back to the grower. He has the grower fruit tray identification and he can record that against the mango ice cream batch number. Tracking complete.

As for what the Aussies actually do I cannot comment on that.

6 hours ago, Don Mac said:

 

Here is something to add to your project @Dammy an up coming very important industry wide issue that needs addressing.  Could you incorporate it into your product?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

another buyer.  No clover thanks!  Only good manuka ta. 

I have my final clover to pull off next week. 

I am considering leaving it on the hives.  Good stores to use in the spring.  Not really what I want to do-  would prefer to use our honey plant, drum and sell. 

 

Anyone sold anything yet? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold clover for $9 kg   

Honey dew currently working on 40 ton to Germany for $5-50 to $6 

Multi manuka  maybe get a deal for $10 kg confirmation next week 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Beeman1 said:

Sold clover for $9 kg   

Honey dew currently working on 40 ton to Germany for $5-50 to $6 

Multi manuka  maybe get a deal for $10 kg confirmation next week 

Currently selling dew for 6 bucks

currently extracting clover.... I’d take 9 bucks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2019 at 6:02 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

Same for us.

No contact from any buyer. 

Tried contacting buyer who used to work for MIdland Seeds - and honey cop prior-  I basically called and texted him to the point where I just did it each month for the last 6- Zero feedback!! 

Another said, 'no thanks, not buying pasture this year... 

What is strange... another person I know got very good manuka and sold it over the last few years- even he hasn't heard a peep from the two buyers who were fighting over it... Weird as because it appears that not that much MPI standard manuka seems to be out there.  Logic would point to buyers looking to secure MPI manuka honey to sell/blend... 

 

What I want to know, how is the Manuka honey trade going - here and over seas??? Is it still selling or just not much anymore... and no one is sharing much about it?? 

International trade is growing rapidly as is Domestic. We are sourcing quality Manuka constantly and have ongoing and growing requirements. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adam Boot said:

International trade is growing rapidly as is Domestic. We are sourcing quality Manuka constantly and have ongoing and growing requirements. 

 

what specifications are you looking for when purchasing ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

International trade is growing rapidly as is Domestic. We are sourcing quality Manuka constantly and have ongoing and growing requirements. 

 

Do you sell any other honey types other than manuka? 

If so, how is that market performing for you? 

Seems like all the buyers want just that, 'quality manuka'  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

 

Seems like all the buyers want just that, 'quality manuka'  

 

 

 

And what is quality Manuka ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gino de Graaf said:

 

Do you sell any other honey types other than manuka? 

If so, how is that market performing for you? 

Seems like all the buyers want just that, 'quality manuka'  

 

We sell, many types, Clover, honey dew, rewerewa, thyme, Rata, Kamahi etc. The market is there but it is very competitive. The price is global and set Greece, Canada, and European producers

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Adam Boot what do you look for when buying Manuka honey ?

Strong on all markers, low C4 and growth potential. 

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Strong on all markers, low C4 and growth potential. 

Hows the market looking for sun tan oil .... oops .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Adam Boot said:

Strong on all markers, low C4 and growth potential. 

I haven't yet talked with any buyer who wants anything else but exactly that too!

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adam Boot said:

Strong on all markers, low C4 and growth potential. 

 

What is strong ?

how many points over the standard on each marker does it need to be and what NPA are you looking for ?

 

seems just having honey that passes the monofloral standard isn’t enough now ?

So I’m wondering where has the market gone for all the honey previously sold as Manuka if now the honey needs to be better than the standard 

Edited by frazzledfozzle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hows the market looking for sun tan oil .... oops .

Great during the summer 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

What is strong ?

how many points over the standard on each marker does it need to be and what NPA are you looking for ?

 

seems just having honey that passes the monofloral standard isn’t enough now ?

So I’m wondering where has the market gone for all the honey previously sold as Manuka if now the honey needs to be better than the standard 

Not everyone requires higher than standard on markers. We do for PURITI but for our other brands we do not. The MPI requirements are fine. We like to have some head room so that compliance is easy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adam Boot said:

Not everyone requires higher than standard on markers. We do for PURITI but for our other brands we do not. The MPI requirements are fine. We like to have some head room so that compliance is easy. 

And that makes perfect common sense - no manuka seller wants to be caught out with product that dips out of spec on random testing.   The industry needs us both  'specialist producers' and also 'specialist sellers' - whilst some of us take the plunge and sell directly it is often too much of a compliance paperwork headache and costly set up to run more processes (buildings/infrastructure/separate processes/more staff/more paperwork...) and so each to their own I guess.   The hard part is when we produce a crop (to the best of our ability) of what appears to be excellent manuka from the organoleptic perspectives but it doesn't make the grade for mono (but theoretically should fly in for multi? - if anyone wants to buy?)  and every year's crop is a whole new gamble.     I wouldn't like to gamble on this any of this year's manuka offerings though especially around here .... very uninspiring non-manuka year on the whole.  In fact, an uninspiring year all round ...... perhaps it shall be like old Queenie said once, this is "our annus horribilis..."  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jamesc said:

Hows the market looking for sun tan oil .... oops .

 

It's very hot and dry in Australia right now . . .that sun will be fierce !

Edited by JohnF
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know NPA can change over Time.

what about the chemical markers MPI have selected for the standard do they change ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I know NPA can change over Time.

what about the chemical markers MPI have selected for the standard do they change ?

If someone overheats the honey then all the markers start to disappear! I had a stroke in December and left a batch (not that I would have known at the time) and it was destroyed! 

HMF was through the roof and it went from Mono to totally unsaleable (a costly stroke!).

 

The markers do change somewhat in a normal setting.

As honey exporters it is imperative to have the markers slightly above what MPI state

as the honey has to retain its integrity for the duration of it's stated shelf life (Best Before date).

There's no legal reason in NZ to have to have a best before date on honey but some countries demand it

so we have to be careful to make sure the Manuka is well within the markers.

  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody selling honey or is this the begining of the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Nuc_man said:

Is anybody selling honey or is this the begining of the end?

 

Beeman sold some clover for $9- which is pretty decent. 

I think that others are selling but are coy about it.  Lots of honey still to be harvested, extracted, drumed and sampled.  

I personally haven't heard from beekeepers I know selling any.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been down the supermarket and checked out the honey, wow prices have come down on what they were last time i looked!

  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...