frazzledfozzle

Honey demand, facts not speculation

9 hours ago, Harlan Cox said:

I can't comment on prices but I will be leaving all my Bush honey on hives this year for feed, so I'm doing my part to reduce supply 

I'm pulling mine off because I use apivar or this year maybe the new form from ecrotek

1 hour ago, Don Mac said:

@john berry  you are absolutely correct - discussing price and buyers can get you into serious trouble, especially in a Public Forum.

Suggest a sober read of what happed to our largest Stock Agents business on price agreements at livestock sale yards.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/98196336/elders-ordered-to-pay-200000-over-price-fixing-for-livestock-tagging

Im sorry but I see no similarities at all.

if I was a packer talking to other packers and we all came to an agreement about what we would pay for each particular type of honey that is price fixing.

talking prices that honey has sold for here has nothing to do with price fixing it’s passing information and has been done over and over on the forum ever since it first started.

The honey network has a graph of what honey has sold for, is that price fixing ?

is MPI’s apiculture report with prices paid for honey, queens etc all listed, is that price fixing ?

If you are a selling a service you can price fix. If you are a buyer of honey you can price fix but as a seller of honey I have no influence over what price a packer will pay  for someone’s honey in Keri Keri or Southland 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Rev Bees doesn't want my honey this year. So for honey in a drum with its test certs could an online auction work? Set a reserve price, everyone knows what the market is doing, who's buying what. 

Thanks Bighands, just checked it out, the winning price graphs haven't been updated for a while.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Im sorry but I see no similarities at all.

if I was a packer talking to other packers and we all came to an agreement about what we would pay for each particular type of honey that is price fixing.

talking prices that honey has sold for here has nothing to do with price fixing it’s passing information and has been done over and over on the forum ever since it first started.

The honey network has a graph of what honey has sold for, is that price fixing ?

is MPI’s apiculture report with prices paid for honey, queens etc all listed, is that price fixing ?

If you are a selling a service you can price fix. If you are a buyer of honey you can price fix but as a seller of honey I have no influence over what price a packer will pay  for someone’s honey in Keri Keri or Southland 

I agree with @frazzledfozzle on this.  There is no harm at all talking about what honey has or hasn't or will sell for.  Pricing fixing is when parties then collude together to agree a price.  That's not what is happening here.

• Agree 1

POTZ, Phone them up and enquire about the prices. WHAT SORT OF HONEY DO YOU HAVE FOR SALE. What price do you want for it

We're only small fry, our honey doesn't come with numbers but it tastes pretty good. I think this year our bees and ourselves will winter well. Just trying to figure how to approach the future.

1 hour ago, Bighands said:

POTZ, Phone them up and enquire about the prices. WHAT SORT OF HONEY DO YOU HAVE FOR SALE. What price do you want for it

Have they stopped updating the price sold graph or are they not selling any honey ?

Pass, the ones I saw were for June 2016. Given I didn't look too hard or register so the info may be else where on the site.

I was talking prices with a prodpective buyer yesterday

clover$10

honey dew $6

She asked for samples

I think I see a light  which must meanwe are through the darkest part of the tunnel !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, jamesc said:

I was talking prices with a prodpective buyer yesterday

clover$10

honey dew $6

She asked for samples

I think I see a light  which must meanwe are through the darkest part of the tunnel !!

Honey Dew at $6 would be great. The bees can bring in an awesome amount of dew  in a few weeks so the quantity would make up for the lower $ 

@jamesc i have 50 ton of clover if you need more

This thread may be as good as any to bring up a subject that related to this threads title.

It may be stating the obvious but there is some financial stress out there.

Im starting to see it and it may get a lot worse.
There are Beeks out there who simply do not have the available funds to treat their Bees.
On top of that this dry spell has seen large strong hives suddenly run short of forage which means lots of foragers out looking for trouble, many carrying Varroa or returning with Varroa on board.
I really dont know how this will pan out but Im starting to get concerned.

Note.

Anyone reading this who may owe me a small sum, this post is in no way pointed at you.
My Debtors are well in hand.

Its the emerging crisis that Im referring to.

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

This thread may be as good as any to bring up a subject that related to this threads title.

It may be stating the obvious but there is some financial stress out there.

Im starting to see it and it may get a lot worse.
There are Beeks out there who simply do not have the available funds to treat their Bees.
On top of that this dry spell has seen large strong hives suddenly run short of forage which means lots of foragers out looking for trouble, many carrying Varroa or returning with Varroa on board.
I really dont know how this will pan out but Im starting to get concerned.

Note.

Anyone reading this who may owe me a small sum, this post is in no way pointed at you.
My Debtors are well in hand.

Its the emerging crisis that Im referring to.

Well I know how things are for us right now and we are small fry with very low overheads so can only imagine how it is for others.

I always thought we needed a downturn to get rid of a few of the speculators but never imagined it would be as massive and serious as it is right now.

I don’t see things improving any time soon either.

Edited by frazzledfozzle

7 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Well I know how things are for us right now and we are small fry with very low overheads so can only imagine how it is for others.

I always thought we needed a downturn to get rid of a few of the speculators but never imagined it would be as massive and serious as it is right now.

I don’t see things improving any time soon either.

i had an extract-to-buy arrangement hooked up for my small excess this season. Unfortunately the person is no longer in business. Luckily it doesn't really matter except that i'll have to spend a couple of days extracting honey by hand and any brewer friends will be well stocked with free mead supplies. I do wonder what those other close to 2000 beekeepers with between 6 and 50 hives do with their honey surplus..

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Philbee said:

Been thinking about that for a while. It will happen.

However, the bees are not treated, they die, end of problem.

Hard attitude yes, but that's just how it is. Better than pre varroa days when uncared for hives just lived on until they got AFB then died, then infected everybody else. Now varroa take care of the issue for us.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

Info like more than $10 but less than $15 would be a good guide.

Wildly optimistic I am afraid.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

So for us we produce Bush honey with maybe a batch of multi Manuka in the mix, we usually sell to 3-4 different buyers

Of those one isn’t buying one might be buying later and the others haven’t bothered to get back to us.

Bit like me my honey this season is various bush varieties, and a bit of manuka none of which quite makes the grade. Pretty much nobody wants it except 2 buyers one offering $4, the other $7. So I made my choice beggars can't be choosers. Won't say who the buyer is but originally $7 got mentioned, then when we talked again later he said "well i got to sell it first". He is pretty interested in just what honey type each batch is and expresses pleasure when blendable types come in, but always mentions "you don't get any more for it though". 

Anyhow at $7 i can live. Not well, but i can live.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

Thanks @Alastair that’s exactly the info I was hoping for.

dont need details on buyer , quantity or anything like that, just on the ground prices that honey is exchanging for right now. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Alastair said:

However, the bees are not treated, they die, end of problem.

If it were as simple as that then there wouldnt be an issue
Its true that I didn't realize what an issue Varroa  re invasion  was  but the principles and practices have been pointed out to me recently.

If hives are left untreated this Autumn then the effects of that will linger long after those Hives die.

Im sure you Alastair  know this.

Its not only an Autumn issue but an issue right now

Many Beeks are starting on their Varroa as the Honey comes off and will be on guard until the Bees stop flying.
 Many Beeks cannot and will not do this.

The upside is that by this time next season the problem will have run its course, we hope

Edited by Philbee

Reinvasion has always been a problem and something longer term beekeepers will have procedures in place for, and may even know where it is most likely to occur.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Alastair said:

Reinvasion has always been a problem and something longer term beekeepers will have procedures in place for, and may even know where it is most likely to occur.

I treat all my yards as if there will be a re-invasion problem, so hopefully I don't get caught out.   Id rather be over cautious on a couple of yards than loose 1 to re invasion.

I apologize @frazzledfozzle but I just can not resist.

@Don Maccan the Australians trace back every bottle of mango juice to the tree where the mango was grown on? Can they do the same thing for mango sorbet?

When I will sell whole frames of honey - just pull it out of the hive and brush the bees off and place it in a vacuum bag(on site process) then take an instant picture about the hive(those cameras that print pictures) and put it on the product - YES there will be 101% traceability.

We all know how the honey travels from the hive to the jar and the buyers in  the shops are not stupid either.

I have many ideas how to connect the producers with the consumers and not only however who want that? MPI? ApiNZ? Who want my levy?

20 minutes ago, Kiwi Bee said:

just pull it out of the hive and brush the bees off and place it in a vacuum bag

Tutin test?

Do not take it so seriously @Philbee. Obviously it will not work that way. I just tried to point it out how silly is this traceability thing - fooling the consumer and expecting to fall for it.