frazzledfozzle

Honey demand, facts not speculation

Sooo, I’m not sure there will be too many replies as I know most of us commercials play secret squirrels.

I think it would be very beneficial if we could start sharing real info on prices and honey sold.

No “I heard” or “ someone told me” but factual info you can vouch for.

Doesnt need to be specific don’t need to know who the buyer is or even the exact price. 

Info like more than $10 but less than $15 would be a good guide.

So for us we produce Bush honey with maybe a batch of multi Manuka in the mix, we usually sell to 3-4 different buyers

Of those one isn’t buying one might be buying later and the others haven’t bothered to get back to us.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 3

i have not tried to sell any cos i don't have a lot and i think i can sell it all "packed".

but it's interesting that none of my buyers has contacted me yet for bulk honey in drums.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Same for us.

No contact from any buyer. 

Tried contacting buyer who used to work for MIdland Seeds - and honey cop prior-  I basically called and texted him to the point where I just did it each month for the last 6- Zero feedback!! 

Another said, 'no thanks, not buying pasture this year... 

What is strange... another person I know got very good manuka and sold it over the last few years- even he hasn't heard a peep from the two buyers who were fighting over it... Weird as because it appears that not that much MPI standard manuka seems to be out there.  Logic would point to buyers looking to secure MPI manuka honey to sell/blend... 

What I want to know, how is the Manuka honey trade going - here and over seas??? Is it still selling or just not much anymore... and no one is sharing much about it?? 

• Good Info 1

5 hours ago, Gino de Graaf said:

What I want to know, how is the Manuka honey trade going - here and over seas??? Is it still selling or just not much anymore... and no one is sharing much about it?? 

i was at an airport a few days ago.

There was manuka honey on the shelf next to the checkout, a range of umf etc etc.

No prices on display.

I watched someone in front of me in the queue pick up a few jars, have them scanned, see the price, and ask for the jars to be put back on the shelf.

I found that interesting.

No idea on turnover of manuka honey in general though.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

Have one honey buyer ring looking for kanaka and bush with NPA or 3&4 but did not give a price 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

The above post dates from April 2016 FYI

33 minutes ago, Harlan Cox said:

The above post dates from April 2016 FYI

Thanks for that Harlan

I did wonder why the Forum wasn't all over it.

Having said that it is my opinion the sort of issue that we are likely to see appear going forward

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1

I have had an enquiry from usa about purchase of drums of manuka honey.Does not need umf just a pollen count of over 70%

• Thanks 1

I can't comment on prices but I will be leaving all my Bush honey on hives this year for feed, so I'm doing my part to reduce supply 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harlan Cox said:

I can't comment on prices but I will be leaving all my Bush honey on hives this year for feed, so I'm doing my part to reduce supply 

Same here

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, tommy dave said:

I watched someone in front of me in the queue pick up a few jars, have them scanned, see the price, and ask for the jars to be put back on the shelf.

I found that interesting.

A visitor from the UK recently told me that Manuka honey is far cheaper to buy there, where he comes from, than it is here.

1 hour ago, BeeGirl said:

A visitor from the UK recently told me that Manuka honey is far cheaper to buy there, where he comes from, than it is here.

Just like all our primary produce.

• Agree 5

On 12/02/2019 at 7:46 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

Sooo, I’m not sure there will be too many replies as I know most of us commercials play secret squirrels.

I think it would be very beneficial if we could start sharing real info on prices and honey sold.

No “I heard” or “ someone told me” but factual info you can vouch for.

Doesnt need to be specific don’t need to know who the buyer is or even the exact price. 

Info like more than $10 but less than $15 would be a good guide.

So for us we produce Bush honey with maybe a batch of multi Manuka in the mix, we usually sell to 3-4 different buyers

Of those one isn’t buying one might be buying later and the others haven’t bothered to get back to us.

Well Frazzled, looks like no one is selling any... or it's a trade secret... probably the later. 

3 hours ago, Harlan Cox said:

did you sell your any other types of honey? Can't comment on that maybe... 

It is a disappointing circumstance when an industry does not understand its own market due to a lack of information.

We cannot discuss price because that could lead to price fixing, but we should be able to understand the following;

• how much honey of each type we produce;
  • where that honey is produced and if it goes to export or local trade;
  • how it is sold in bulk or packaged;
  • where it is sold;
  • Has the NZ honey market reached saturation yet? I bet 76% of NZ supermarket shoppers never include a jar of honey in every shop.

No where in this thread has any of the above been discussed.

The only lament being repeated is the drop in the price and the lack of buyers.

So has honey reached its peak as a luxury product and now the hype is over is it trying to find its new commodity level (I hate that word commodity)

Today the ABC published this article on how Australian produced Mango's went from being a luxury product to being indispensable in the Australian diet (76% of all Australians buy Mangos). How many NZer's buy honey in the weekly shop?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-10/nt-mangoes-from-luxury-to-staple/10756318?section=good-news

I believe Avocadoes in NZ are undergoing the same transformation, with a huge boost in hectares planted. No one is talking oversupply.

So what do Beekeepers need;

• a long term sustainable business model to ensure profitability which all beekeepers can follow;
  • products defined and differentiated to give consumer choice;
  • traceability - we talk about it but is it a reality yet; - Australia packs 10 milllion trays of mangoes, every tray traceable back to the tree it was grown on!
  • product safety - free of Tutin and other plant based toxins; free of pesticide residues; - everything that demonstrates it is pure and natural;
  • Some open and transparent market information;
  • NZ honey becomes the product of choice for use as a sweetner, spread and culinary use; the preferred product of NZers. (should be a no brainer as honey is not a permitted import, but watch out if the Government decides to let it in, then we will see some marketing competition). 

Many years ago NZ did not import lamb, mutton, beef, pork, apples, kiwifruit, grapes or stone fruit. Today we import all those products.

Has the NZ consumer noticed the change? 

I have only seen recent comments about pork imports - swine fever biosecurity concerns - which are valid.

I do not want to see honey imports because of diseases that could adversely affect on our bees.

So we have a closed market for NZ beekeepers and no one likes it because they do not like the price.

But as beekeepers have we failed to make NZ honey  the product of choice for use as a sweetner, spread and culinary use; the preferred product of NZers

We need to make NZ honey a staple product that no consumer or chef cannot do without.

Edited by Don Mac
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

I believe Avocadoes in NZ are undergoing the same transformation, with a huge boost in hectares planted. No one is talking oversupply.

Yes, I think an oversupply or price drop probable.  Far too many avocados been planted, because tray price was/is great.  No idea if sustainable, 

17 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

But as beekeepers have we failed to make NZ honey  the product of choice for use as a sweetner, spread and culinary use; the preferred product of NZers

We need to make NZ honey a staple product that no consumer or chef cannot do without.

Totally agree.  We lost New Zealand consumers, because it's expensive compared to most other spreads.  The big buyers/packers have mostly chased manuka for much bigger returns and failed to keep any other honey type supplied at reasonable prices. The buyers want more return from a kilo of honey so anything non-manuka is a poor mans choice. Unless it was blendable, beech dew, kanuka, or bush. 

Bit like us carrying on doing pollination and pasture, some viewed us as crazy for not chasing manuka.  

23 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

We cannot discuss price because that could lead to price fixing,

How so? Every honey type is different, We could easily give indication of pricing between X and X 

27 minutes ago, Don Mac said:

No where in this thread has any of the above been discussed.

The only lament being repeated is the drop in the price and the lack of buyers.

All of your points u say aren't being discussed are quite valid but are not the subject of this thread. 

I started this thread because I know we aren't the only ones with a shed full of unsold honey and thought if we could share information it might give us a heads up as to what's happening right now not what might happen in the future.

I would love to see updated statistics of honey exported etc but don't kno if that kind of info is available

I have a note pinned to the kettle  here with the name of a man looking  looking for Clover and Dew. I also hear that Airborne Honey are looking for someone to buy the business. Anyone interested in going shares .....reputable business , all set up with markets and intelligence ..... a walk in co op so to speak .

Apart from that, we've been selling honey from the bulk tank into a bring your own container for $12/kg .... so we have food to eat this week. Happy days ! 

• Like 2

The discussion of prices is regarded as price-fixing. Years ago local pollinators got into trouble for just sitting around and saying basically my name is X and I'm charging Y for Apple pollination next year. They got in deep do do and were lucky to get off with a warning. Pretty stupid when anyone could ring up and ask how much they were charging but that is the law.

As far as prices go they are obviously under pressure but honey is being bought and sold at what I consider reasonable prices. The situation has not been helped by one of two honey buyers getting honey cheap from desperate people and then undercutting those that are paying a fair price.

For the record I completely disagree that we need all those figures on production, honey types, et cetera. That sort of information can be used for good but it can also be used by unscrupulous people for their own benefit to the detriment of others

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Is it price fixing when you are selling honey rather than being a buyer.

I consider we are price takers not price fixers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You have to change and become a price maker not a price taker.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Is it price fixing when you are selling honey rather than being a buyer.

I consider we are price takers not price fixers. 

All I know is the commerce commission moves a lot faster than MPI and their decisions are the law and you cross them at your peril. It may be perfectly fine to ask the questions you have been and I completely agree with you asking them but without a ruling from the commerce commission I wouldn't go there.

@john berry  you are absolutely correct - discussing price and buyers can get you into serious trouble, especially in a Public Forum.

Suggest a sober read of what happed to our largest Stock Agents business on price agreements at livestock sale yards.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming/98196336/elders-ordered-to-pay-200000-over-price-fixing-for-livestock-tagging