Rookie

Hive Doctor Bottom Boards

Hi there,

can colonies successfully winter with the Hive doctor bottom boards in freezing conditions? 0 to -5 degrees? Or would they get to cold?

thanks

They are fine.  Heat rises.  Cold falls.  What part of that says ventilated floor will be a problem.

And HD floor are only semi ventilated.

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the science, just curious for some feedback off someone who has personally wintered with them in freezing conditions.

cheers

1 hour ago, Rookie said:

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the science, just curious for some feedback off someone who has personally wintered with them in freezing conditions.

cheers

So your not really in Auckland?  We don't really understand 'freezing' in a South Island way up here.

2 hours ago, Sailabee said:

So your not really in Auckland?  We don't really understand 'freezing' in a South Island way up here.

Do they successfully work in the South Island? Or is it easier for them to stay warm for winter in the wooden bottom boards?

cheers

I have ventured that far south but many commercials are using them so must be OK. Personally I have wooden bases with SS mesh ventilation without chill problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

I’ve got a couple and they worked well over last winter. The colonies aren’t as damp with floorboard ventilation and that makes them healthier and stronger. 

Beware the hungry rats though... they chew on the plastic! So I prefer my home made ventilated bases. Timber and SS mesh. Cheaper too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have around 50 hives and they are all on HD bases.  My bees have not had a problem

1 hour ago, CHCHPaul said:

Beware the hungry rats though... they chew on the plastic! So I prefer my home made ventilated bases. Timber and SS mesh. Cheaper too. 

Yep. Rats love our HD bases 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Rookie said:

Thanks for the reply.

cheers

Global warming means I wouldn’t worry too soon up in Auckland. 

We we get cracking frosts in Canterbury, lots of mesh users

Edited by Josh