john berry

Beekeeping in Xanadu

I have just finished reading beekeeping in Xanadu by Julie Ryan. A fascinating book that I would recommend to anybody with an interest in New Zealand history and New Zealand beekeeping history in particular. It follows the life of the Haines Family through several generations and while initially there is not much about beekeeping towards the end there is almost nothing else. Most of the people mentioned in the book are one generation removed from me but I new a lot of them  including Malcolm. A lot of the beekeeping history especially concerning tutu I knew to some degree but had no idea just how bad it was for some people and now have a much deeper understanding of why the generation before me have a deep and abiding suspicion of MPI and those that went before them. Beekeeping was a hard way to make a living.

The book was first published in 2005 by little red hen. I have no idea of its availability and my copy was borrowed from my parents who certainly knew all the beekeepers. When I borrowed the book my mother told me of a trip they made up north to stay with Pat and Malcolm and how they were taken up the beach to dig Toheroa..

Reading this book reminds me that while times are a bit tough now we still have it pretty good.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I bought it. I'll let you know when I've finished with it...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, yesbut said:

I bought it. I'll let you know when I've finished with it...

Would love a read if you don’t mind doing a book circle @yesbut more than happy to pay for the privilege 

Me too please, happy to pay postage, I read fast!

Me as well.I do not mind paying postage also

i don't like reading much, but even me would read this.

had once the pleasure to work for Malcolm for a week and he gave me a tour. very interesting man and beekeeper with a lot of old tricks up his sleeve.  

My wife has been reading this book and although she found it interesting she also said it was hard to follow and jumped around a fair bit. I may have overhyped it a bit but I still really recommend it.

Mine arrived in the post today...

15 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Mine arrived in the post today...

And I open it to the frontispiece and what do I see ?    "To Ian Berry from Julie Ryan " ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you @john berry, excellent read, really enjoyed the book, fastest I have got through one in a long time. The more we know of history the greater the chance of not repeating the mistakes.

• Like 1

@yesbut kindly motorbike couriered his copy to our door :) 

my dad has snaffled it so won’t get a look in till he’s finished it :( 

• Like 1