Deon

NZBF Reuniting time frame?

I have split a double brood box hive to help requeen, added the queen cell to the queenless box, she has hatched looks mated but not quite laying yet. I have just today dispatched the old “angry queen” in the other box to be able to reunite using the newspaper method. 

Is tomorrow too early? Should I wait until the new queen is laying? The new queen also has a honey box still on (About to remove) should I reunite on top of the honey box  or under with newspaper both sides?

You have jumped the gun.  I would have waited until the new queen was laying with capped brood.  Then killed the old queen and at the same time put the new queen on top of the old (now dead) queen.  

The hive that you have just killed the queen in will proceed to make a queen and will certainly try and kill a virgin or newly mated queen.

Best wishes.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Hmm... thanks Trev. I guess mistakes are part of learning, not the first and won’t be the last.

now to get myself out of this pickle... if I knock off any emergency cells this week, and leave another week would it still be too risky to reunite? Or knock off cells this week then next week add/create grafts from a better temperament queen creating another hive?

I’d prefer not to grow my apiary further,  but I don’t want to unnecessarily risk my new queen either.

Leave them 4 about 5 days.  Then carefully go thru every frame and check for Q cells.  Remove any that you find.  

Wait until the virgin is mated, laying and have capped brood and then unite.  Put queen right on top. with newspaper between boxes (2 sheets) with a few cuts in the paper.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

It’s probably not a thing this time of year, but if you have any supers on, use an excluder to keep the queen out the honey. I  didn’t and had patches of brood in numerous boxes and it took a fair while to sort out.