Josh

NZBF Winter Staple strategies

So I’ve decided to use 50% EP staples for the winter. All the regular “teaching” is honey off and treatment in, so that you can get treatments finished in time to winter down. 

But I have 40% EP on already, so I’m planning that my 50% EP will go on at winter down. And knowing that my bees will eventually move up, I’m putting in 4/box (knowing it might be a small overdose) to ensure brood coverage all winter, regardless of where they go. 

I’ve not seen a lot of end of season discussion yet, and be interested in people’s thoughts. 

50% is actually a stretch, it will form a clear dissolved solution when hot but probably 4% falls out of solution when it cools so in light of this 45% strength is probably a more realistic target strength for winter and also other times of the year based on individual trials.
My best advice right now based on one significant report.
Get your Staples in now and leave them in until your Autumn treatment.
Hives that were free of Varroa 2-3 weeks ago are now showing mite counts that are higher than one would expect.

These Hives have no mites in the Drone brood and are in very good shape.

This is re invasion so beware.

You need fresh staples to guard the Hives from now on through the post flow period

• Like 2

I should say, whatever treatment you choose to use, get it in very shortly

Is there any risk to fresh queens only just mated using OA/GL staples, have been reading the 100 page thread and have held off until finished reading to be best informed before jumping in.

• Like 1

@Josh will the staples last through winter, would you replace them during winter or wait until spring? Or is it dependant on the hive.

My impression is that they last pretty well. But I’ve never over wintered with EP before. 

Staples over winter well

In spring the outside staples in Taupo Hives are untouched and devoid of solution as the ambient moisture gets to them as the cluster tightens

The middle two staples that the Bees spend all winter around will be chewed on average 60% and in September after 6 months in the hive  these surviving staples can have 50% of their solution intact in the surviving portions of staple.

There will invariably be a range of staple chewing.

My winter Staples go into the single box broods in March. and come out in September 

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 2
  • Good Info 1

Thanks for the clarification @Philbee