Jump to content
Mummzie

Tasman Fires

Recommended Posts

I am certain there will have been many apiaries in the areas affected by the fires still raging in the region, its pretty close to home for some forum contributors / lurkers. I doubt reading a forum will be high on their priority list at the moment but I would like to express my sympathy to any who have suffered losses or are nervously awaiting the outcome of this devastation.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been thinking about the Nelson folk too! Hoping that there’s not too many beeses & beeks effected (or is it affected? @yesbut.)Kindest thought for a speedy resolution to these fires.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure but I don't think there'll be many commercial yards hit , the hills are all pine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, yesbut said:

Not sure but I don't think there'll be many commercial yards hit , the hills are all pine.

Good to hear. If it had been the Riverhead Forest (pine) near here when the corporates have their dump sites there you could have stood outside anywhere in the country and heard the wailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, yesbut said:

Not sure but I don't think there'll be many commercial yards hit , the hills are all pine.

 

Unfortunately there’s a number of yards that have burned although there’s been hives rescued too.

the plantations have good gullies of native and the bees generally do well on picking up a Bush blend .

theres also at least three commercial beekeepers that I know of that have either been evacuated from their homes ( which double as their yards) or are very much close to the perimeter.

 

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

Unfortunately there’s a number of yards that have burned although there’s been hives rescued too.

the plantations have good gullies of native and the bees generally do well on picking up a Bush blend .

theres also at least three commercial beekeepers that I know of that have either been evacuated from their homes ( which double as their yards) or are very much close to the perimeter.

 

Last year this time the riwaka floods took out bee yards in that area.

Hard to believe but  There was 200 ml of rain happening then .

Could do with it now .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Last year this time the riwaka floods took out bee yards in that area.

Hard to believe but  There was 200 ml of rain happening then .

Could do with it now .

 

The business of forestry has a lot to answer for in respect to damage. 

The floods were made so much worse by forestry slash and the fire is fueled by forestry 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

The business of forestry has a lot to answer for in respect to damage. 

The floods were made so much worse by forestry slash and the fire is fueled by forestry 

And it has occured to me what a mess a 100 mls would make if it fell now on all that exposed newly burnt ground .

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the olden days they used to have big bulldozed firebreaks which were ugly as sin, but it usually limited large-scale destruction.  Dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I've just come home to discover smoke quite close to home and five choppers and two fixed wing plane s buzzing around overhead. They've been eyeing up my pond.

  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are currently in Nelson . 

Choppers everywhere , roads closed and monsoon buckets sucking every available water source . Looks to me like they are going for irrigation units in orchards . 

The smoke is thick for 70 km . 

And the fire up near @yesbut is looking a bit active with winds fuelling it across the hill of pines .

The wind changed from the morning and cleared the city of smoke .

As for bees , I’ve never had so many hit the windscreen on our way to Murchison to get out of the smoke .

And the bumblebees at Lake Rotoroa are insane . They are wildly attracted to blue if that’s what you are wearing 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode through there an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode through there an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

The Wakefield refugees we have in residence are glad to be out of the smoke and copter noise. Waiting nervously.

I hope the one near you gets contained successfully.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

I hope the one near you gets contained successfully.

The flying machines have stopped, as has the cavalcade of various coloured trucks and tankers up our road. There are now pretty coloured flashing lights where there is usually blackness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode throughciviliane an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

Its probably easier to plan for fighting a fire if you do not have to think about civilian casualties .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been some horrors overseas recently. I’d sure take a few sarcastic headlines rather than hurt people, but that’s easy to say until your forced out your home and the fire never comes anywhere near.

Im glad these aren’t my decisions to make.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't expecting an overly good harvest this year, but this morning I went to get what I expected to be 2-3 boxes of honey. The girls were remarkably calm - there's no flow- we are too dry....and the frames far emptier of honey than they had been a week or so ago. We have had smoke drift off and on.....I wonder if there is a lot of honey in the stomachs of my bees?

  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mummzie said:

I wasn't expecting an overly good harvest this year, but this morning I went to get what I expected to be 2-3 boxes of honey. The girls were remarkably calm - there's no flow- we are too dry....and the frames far emptier of honey than they had been a week or so ago. We have had smoke drift off and on.....I wonder if there is a lot of honey in the stomachs of my bees?

Grab one & squash it & see

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

I wasn't expecting an overly good harvest this year, but this morning I went to get what I expected to be 2-3 boxes of honey. The girls were remarkably calm - there's no flow- we are too dry....and the frames far emptier of honey than they had been a week or so ago. We have had smoke drift off and on.....I wonder if there is a lot of honey in the stomachs of my bees?

I am expecting the same soon .

The flow is nearly over here .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cripes, 21000 hectares effected so far.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Cripes, 21000 hectares effected so far.

Take a zero off !

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting  times for nelson if this is an accurate path .

Screenshot_2019-02-15-14-33-46.png

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@frazzledfozzle the computer models have got the cyclone going over the north island now .

Just as long as we get some rain , preferably without wind .

It could still come to nelson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@frazzledfozzle the computer models have got the cyclone going over the north island now .

Just as long as we get some rain , preferably without wind .

It could still come to nelson 

 

We need rain so bad.

i can’t believe how many dead looking trees and shrubs are around and it’s so scary knowing there’s fire bugs out there.

 

We have no access to hives in forestry so have no way of taking honey off or putting treatments in.

If this goes on for much longer it’s a real worry especially for the forestry guys who can’t work right now .

 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What. Nobody allowed into forestry areas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×