Mummzie

Tasman Fires

I am certain there will have been many apiaries in the areas affected by the fires still raging in the region, its pretty close to home for some forum contributors / lurkers. I doubt reading a forum will be high on their priority list at the moment but I would like to express my sympathy to any who have suffered losses or are nervously awaiting the outcome of this devastation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I’ve been thinking about the Nelson folk too! Hoping that there’s not too many beeses & beeks effected (or is it affected? @yesbut.)Kindest thought for a speedy resolution to these fires.

• Like 1

Not sure but I don't think there'll be many commercial yards hit , the hills are all pine.

8 hours ago, yesbut said:

Not sure but I don't think there'll be many commercial yards hit , the hills are all pine.

Good to hear. If it had been the Riverhead Forest (pine) near here when the corporates have their dump sites there you could have stood outside anywhere in the country and heard the wailing.

9 hours ago, yesbut said:

Unfortunately there’s a number of yards that have burned although there’s been hives rescued too.

the plantations have good gullies of native and the bees generally do well on picking up a Bush blend .

theres also at least three commercial beekeepers that I know of that have either been evacuated from their homes ( which double as their yards) or are very much close to the perimeter.

• Sad 6

25 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Unfortunately there’s a number of yards that have burned although there’s been hives rescued too.

the plantations have good gullies of native and the bees generally do well on picking up a Bush blend .

theres also at least three commercial beekeepers that I know of that have either been evacuated from their homes ( which double as their yards) or are very much close to the perimeter.

Last year this time the riwaka floods took out bee yards in that area.

Hard to believe but  There was 200 ml of rain happening then .

Could do with it now .

46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Last year this time the riwaka floods took out bee yards in that area.

Hard to believe but  There was 200 ml of rain happening then .

Could do with it now .

The business of forestry has a lot to answer for in respect to damage. 

The floods were made so much worse by forestry slash and the fire is fueled by forestry 

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The business of forestry has a lot to answer for in respect to damage. 

The floods were made so much worse by forestry slash and the fire is fueled by forestry 

And it has occured to me what a mess a 100 mls would make if it fell now on all that exposed newly burnt ground .

• Agree 2

In the olden days they used to have big bulldozed firebreaks which were ugly as sin, but it usually limited large-scale destruction.  Dammed if you do dammed if you don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well I've just come home to discover smoke quite close to home and five choppers and two fixed wing plane s buzzing around overhead. They've been eyeing up my pond.

• Sad 6

We are currently in Nelson . 

Choppers everywhere , roads closed and monsoon buckets sucking every available water source . Looks to me like they are going for irrigation units in orchards . 

The smoke is thick for 70 km . 

And the fire up near @yesbut is looking a bit active with winds fuelling it across the hill of pines .

The wind changed from the morning and cleared the city of smoke .

As for bees , I’ve never had so many hit the windscreen on our way to Murchison to get out of the smoke .

And the bumblebees at Lake Rotoroa are insane . They are wildly attracted to blue if that’s what you are wearing 

• Like 2

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode through there an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode through there an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

The Wakefield refugees we have in residence are glad to be out of the smoke and copter noise. Waiting nervously.

I hope the one near you gets contained successfully.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mummzie said:

I hope the one near you gets contained successfully.

The flying machines have stopped, as has the cavalcade of various coloured trucks and tankers up our road. There are now pretty coloured flashing lights where there is usually blackness.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

I'm surprised by the Wakefield evacuation. I rode throughciviliane an hour and a half ago....seems to me a great deal of unnecessary commotion. I think FENZ are first cousins to Worksafe.

Its probably easier to plan for fighting a fire if you do not have to think about civilian casualties .

There have been some horrors overseas recently. I’d sure take a few sarcastic headlines rather than hurt people, but that’s easy to say until your forced out your home and the fire never comes anywhere near.

Im glad these aren’t my decisions to make.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting an overly good harvest this year, but this morning I went to get what I expected to be 2-3 boxes of honey. The girls were remarkably calm - there's no flow- we are too dry....and the frames far emptier of honey than they had been a week or so ago. We have had smoke drift off and on.....I wonder if there is a lot of honey in the stomachs of my bees?

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mummzie said:

I wasn't expecting an overly good harvest this year, but this morning I went to get what I expected to be 2-3 boxes of honey. The girls were remarkably calm - there's no flow- we are too dry....and the frames far emptier of honey than they had been a week or so ago. We have had smoke drift off and on.....I wonder if there is a lot of honey in the stomachs of my bees?

Grab one & squash it & see

3 hours ago, Mummzie said:

I am expecting the same soon .

The flow is nearly over here .

Cripes, 21000 hectares effected so far.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Bee Good said:

Cripes, 21000 hectares effected so far.

Take a zero off !

• Agree 2

Interesting  times for nelson if this is an accurate path .

Screenshot_2019-02-15-14-33-46.png

• Sad 2

@frazzledfozzle the computer models have got the cyclone going over the north island now .

Just as long as we get some rain , preferably without wind .

It could still come to nelson 

11 hours ago, kaihoka said:

@frazzledfozzle the computer models have got the cyclone going over the north island now .

Just as long as we get some rain , preferably without wind .

It could still come to nelson 

We need rain so bad.

i can’t believe how many dead looking trees and shrubs are around and it’s so scary knowing there’s fire bugs out there.

We have no access to hives in forestry so have no way of taking honey off or putting treatments in.

If this goes on for much longer it’s a real worry especially for the forestry guys who can’t work right now .

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Sad 1

What. Nobody allowed into forestry areas?