dacrebankbees

NZBF moving a hive a short distance - 500m

Hi,

I caught a swarm off a fence post into a box and unfortunately I didn't know enough to move it immediately to where my other one was (approximately 500m away).  Someone I know suggested that i close them in for 3 days and move them to reduce the risk of them going back to the post area.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this a compete no no.  If I can't move it I will have to register it as another Apiary site, and while this is not a problem I don't really want it sitting next to the dairy shed getting splattered by sprinklers.

TIA, Rachel

Closing them in is a really bad idea and it won't work anyway. You'll have to move them at least a couple of km away from their present site AND your preferred site. Leave them there a couple of weeks then you can move them to the final spot. There's no way you can move them 500m without losing most of the field bees.

Edited by yesbut
  • Agree 3

Yep please don't close them up . They will cook to death in this heat 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, dacrebankbees said:

Someone I know suggested that i close them in for 3 days and move them to reduce the risk of them going back to the post area. 

Obviously, someone who is not a beekeeper.

• Agree 1

2 meters or so every other day, is suggestible.

5 hours ago, Possumx said:

2 meters or so every other day, is suggestible.

So, only 250 days to go.  

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, dacrebankbees said:

Hi,

I caught a swarm off a fence post into a box and unfortunately I didn't know enough to move it immediately to where my other one was (approximately 500m away).  Someone I know suggested that i close them in for 3 days and move them to reduce the risk of them going back to the post area.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or is this a compete no no.  If I can't move it I will have to register it as another Apiary site, and while this is not a problem I don't really want it sitting next to the dairy shed getting splattered by sprinklers.

TIA, Rachel

If there’s any decent  rain  on the way you could shift them the night before. Put an obstacle in front of the entrance such as a leafy branch they  have to climb through to get out and make sure you don’t leave anything at the old site they could go back to. 

7 hours ago, nikki watts said:

If there’s any decent  rain  on the way you could shift them the night before. Put an obstacle in front of the entrance such as a leafy branch they  have to climb through to get out and make sure you don’t leave anything at the old site they could go back to. 

and a decent wind, that seems to keep mine at home.

That's with other colonies around, guess uptoo 5-6 mtrs daily would be acceptable although a little disruptive.

1 hour ago, Possumx said:

That's with other colonies around, guess uptoo 5-6 mtrs daily would be acceptable although a little disruptive.

So now only 100 days to go.

• Haha 2

move them one evening to the site you want them at, put a big mess of branches/etc in front of the entrance so they have to walk before they can fly at the new site. Make sure there is no hiveware or similar left at the original site. Ideally move them before a spell of bad weather. They'll be fine.

• Agree 2

so up a vertical terrace over a canal and up another vertical terrace, across the driveway past the house and into the garden 😂😂😂 maybe not!

Nikki Watts and Tommy Dave thanks for your advice re moving - if we ever get any rain I might give it a go!  

Otherwise they can stay there they seem pretty happy. 

Thanks everyone :)

• Like 1