Maru Hoani

landcruiser 70 series upgrades

I just got a v8 cruiser to haul honey, what can I do to get more power?

I'm also looking to buy a tri-axle trailor or trailor with duallies so I can tow 6 pallets at a time.

Any info apreciated?

Sell the cruiser and get a real truck?

• Haha 1

Thenyou got options

BAF7165B-4458-4A93-AC8A-91A99501ED8A.jpeg

07268E2D-2068-4A0A-9748-3F2D48116F76.jpeg

• Like 1

But seriously.... the cruiser is great for cruising around in.... but for serious beekeeping the little Nissan Atlas is way more use. Can carry two tonne, no HT needed and no trailer issues.

B12236A4-8EFF-46A0-ADEA-2A0EEDDE0E97.jpeg

• Like 3

yeah, but... the atlas not a very nice ride.  Super bumpy aye. 

I wouldn't want to tow a 3500kg trailer  load behind a cruiser on northland roads.  

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

I'm also looking to buy a tri-axle trailor or trailor with duallies so I can tow 6 pallets at a time.

Any info apreciated?

A remap will take it to almost 200 kw and you will love it. Also heaps more low down torque for slowly pulling up those rough tracks. On the down side you will need a heavy duty clutch which will cost much more than the remap. Make sure you get it done by a reputable company if you go ahead, dps did mine and I couldn't be happier with the outcome, makes a good Ute into an epic Ute.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Any info apreciated?

plenty of power upgrades for those. but do you actually need it ?

6 pallets on trailer and 2 on the cruiser means you need HT license.

plus the trailer needs breakaway brakes and electric controller. makes it a pain if you have a few vehicles. 

3 axles is not a good setup for rough country.

i would stick with 4 pallets on the trailer, 2500kg trailer, override brakes so you can use any tow vehicle, two axles so it articulates and the wheels actually touch the ground and do something and brakes on both axles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

That's a lot of honey for a days work for one guy Maru, do you have other guys working with you?

1 hour ago, Gino de Graaf said:

yeah, but... the atlas not a very nice ride.  Super bumpy aye. 

I wouldn't want to tow a 3500kg trailer  load behind a cruiser on northland roads.  

Aye !

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jamo said:

A remap will take it to almost 200 kw and you will love it. Also heaps more low down torque for slowly pulling up those rough tracks. On the down side you will need a heavy duty clutch which will cost much more than the remap. Make sure you get it done by a reputable company if you go ahead, dps did mine and I couldn't be happier with the outcome, makes a good Ute into an epic Ute.

How much coin you looking at for all that ? Not to mention the airbags and winch ....

11 hours ago, jamesc said:

Thenyou got options

BAF7165B-4458-4A93-AC8A-91A99501ED8A.jpeg

07268E2D-2068-4A0A-9748-3F2D48116F76.jpeg

Man you need to bury that photo of the lad riding the load.

Seriously, it could one day form part of a case against you.
Get it removed is my advice

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jamo said:

Just out of curiosity,

what was the fuel consumption like after the re-map ?

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Man you need to bury that photo of the lad riding the load.

Seriously, it could one day form part of a case against you.
Get it removed is my advice

It's from my health and safety manual ....It's part of life Phil ..... you can't hide life.  Just like the yes vote is part of progress.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamo said:

But Jamo does it have a cup holder.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

Any info apreciated?

Before you remap and re clutch, maybe just a larger exhaust as a first step, it is suppose to make a big difference on the V8's, and won't put your warranty(if any) at risk.  With 2 heavy pallets on the truck, and 4 on the trailer, you are only barely legal depending on how solid the boxes are- you can't carry more. My V8 underwhelms me at times, but it is still in another league compared to other utes.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, David Yanke said:

Before you remap and re clutch, maybe just a larger exhaust as a first step, it is suppose to make a big difference on the V8's, and won't put your warranty(if any) at risk.  With 2 heavy pallets on the truck, and 4 on the trailer, you are only barely legal depending on how solid the boxes are- you can't carry more. My V8 underwhelms me at times, but it is still in another league compared to other utes.

I have been told that even an exhaust kit can sometimes be enough to do a clutch. I too was underwhelmed but not any more?

1 hour ago, Dennis Crowley said:

But Jamo does it have a cup holder.

Yep 

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

How much coin you looking at for all that ? Not to mention the airbags and winch ....

But if you buy a cruiser you've got plenty of coin right??

2 hours ago, Bee Good said:

Just out of curiosity,

what was the fuel consumption like after the re-map ?

If you drive it like a sensible law abiding citizen it won't change and can potentially even improve as the extra toque allowed you to hold a bigger gear longer, but if you develop a special bond with the pedal on the right it will go up.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jamo said:

But if you buy a cruiser you've got plenty of coin right??

Well .... sort of. But I figure if you pay a lot for the vehicle, then I would expect decent load carrying springs in the back end and a little bit more low end torque ..... and an air con unit that does'nt leak on the floor ..... but apart from that  ..... nice truck!  

So, my wish list for my cruiser ..... pull out the catylytic converter and open up the air system.  Airbags on the back end and a lift all around, winch on the front for pulling tourists out of the ditch ..... and a lightbar to see where I'm going. Plus a bucket seat for the driver.  

Edited by jamesc

5 minutes ago, jamesc said:

and a lightbar to see where I'm going.

Get a proper job and you wouldn't need one.

• Haha 2

After prostitution this is the oldest profession....

• Haha 3

On 3/02/2019 at 10:28 PM, jamesc said:

After prostitution this is the oldest profession....

Ahem... actually I'd hazard a guess and say Stonemasonry is older.. 

possibly even the same age as prostitution as the masons would have needed a hand to unload their rocks... 

• Haha 3

On 3/02/2019 at 9:48 AM, Alastair said:

That's a lot of honey for a days work for one guy Maru, do you have other guys working with you?

Nah I stock pile until its all off then 4 pallets on the trailor and 1 on the 3L turbo Dmax was what I was doing and it was towing the loads good but now that it's been re-mapped and fre flowed with a 3 inch exhaust it craps all over the new cruiser in most ways eg: way faster, more grunt, more comfortable to drive, cup holders with air vents above to keep drinks cool, no manual hubs. 

I'm gonna do one more load then I'm going to have a think whether it's worth while keeping and upgrading or just getting an ht and a NPS450

• Good Info 1

10 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

Nah I stock pile until its all off then 4 pallets on the trailor and 1 on the 3L turbo Dmax was what I was doing and it was towing the loads good but now that it's been re-mapped and fre flowed with a 3 inch exhaust it craps all over the new cruiser in most ways eg: way faster, more grunt, more comfortable to drive, cup holders with air vents above to keep drinks cool, no manual hubs. 

I'm gonna do one more load then I'm going to have a think whether it's worth while keeping and upgrading or just getting an ht and a NPS450

And a transport service licence .