Markypoo

Science fair project ideas

I have a student interested in a science fair project. I have some ideas myself, but would like to get some ideas from you guys. 

Anybody got any ideas that we could do over the term?

I have some thoughts on UV colour preferences, just trying to think how to do it.

Mini GoPro. And do a day in the life of a bee...

47 minutes ago, Josh said:

Mini GoPro. And do a day in the life of a bee...

Might be hard taping it to it's back.

• Haha 4

How about collecting pollen over a period of time and getting data from that?

Honey colour and flavour. Regional honey varieties. Honey vs sugar. 

• Like 1

Looks like we are going to do something with UV detection. Setting out sugar water, with UVpens marking the trays somehow. Seeing if there is a colour preference. We may also look at the minimum sugar concentrations they can detect and will they go for a weaker solution that has a brighter UV signal. As she is a Year 12 their has to be a fair bit of science in it. We are going get on to next year's fair in spring for a bigger project. I have had this girl entering every year since year 9. She has won gold twice and got bronze for her first time in the senior section.

• Like 8

Would a refractometer be of any use in this project?

what about the importance of drone genetics vs Queens?

AI with localised stock for varroa resistance, colony nature, honey production...?

Some good ideas but unfortunately we are a modern day high school, so our budget is about $10. No way we can afford AI equipment.

Especially since we have had our operational budget cut. The ministry found a magic new way of calculating school funding and surprise surprise, schools get shafted.

There is some interesting stuff we have found about training bees to recognise shapes as well as colour preferences, so we are going to go down that route.